29 50.00%
  • RHSP Tony Santillan

0 0%
  • C Tyler Stephenson

24 41.38%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #2 Prospect???

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #2 Prospect???

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    You'll get no argument from me on Greene's talent, and there's every reason to expect that he'll recover just fine from TJ. But there's just something about him that gives me pause, a combination of his limited pitching in high school, his mere 72 innings in 3 years as a pro, the skepticism over his injury, his disproportionate celebrity. . . . It all just makes him seem a little less than authentic, as if there's not much there there. Hopefully, all that stuff is now behind him and we'll see the real deal from here on out.

I went with Stephenson, perhaps overemphasizing his strong showing in the AFL.
    I feel exactly the same way about Greene, but I still think he's the best prospect in the system by a significant margin..
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

24 hours to go - keep on voting!

4. Likes:

REDREAD (11-25-2019)

I think the organization has a nice top four or five, but it's short on high impact players.

Lodolo may well be a star, but it's early. I like both Stephenson and India (particularly Stephenson), but both are high draft picks that have more or less plodded along. They entered the organization with big expectations and have met the bar thus far, but neither has set the world on fire. Both have maintained good enough production to continue to hope for them, but neither is a sure thing. India, especially, invites some skepticism.

That's why I like Greene despite the injury. He's got generational talent and showed some real promise (though not without warts) in his short time in Dayton. He's a potential all star, and for team with a limited budget, stars are hard to come by. Every team wants them, but the Reds need guys that can change the team dynamic. The big league squad and the farm are light on top-end talent. Greene is one of the few blue chips (however long a shot).

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I disagree with this and when most top 100 prospect rankings come out, you're going to see 3 Reds prospects all jumbled up near one another - he might end up being ranked higher than the others but no one guy is going to be considered leaps and bounds better than the other.

TJS might be common, but there is no guarantee he comes back, in fact I can share the TJS spreadsheet that shows how many of them still never rebound.

A collegiate pitcher like Lodolo who is healthy and a catcher set to play in AAA are solid competition for the #1 spot in the rankings, and I could be persuaded to vote for any of the 3 depending on which day of the week it is.
    I’m not in the “Greene will be fine” camp. I understand the risk he still has.

However, all prospects are high risk. This injury doesn’t change his odds of being a successful MLB player all that much, since they are already quite low.

My guess is Greene, prior to the injury, had a 50% chance of being a successful MLB player. The injury knocks him down to around 40%. And that is still better than anyone else in the Reds system.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

REDREAD (11-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    You'll get no argument from me on Greene's talent, and there's every reason to expect that he'll recover just fine from TJ. But there's just something about him that gives me pause, a combination of his limited pitching in high school, his mere 72 innings in 3 years as a pro, the skepticism over his injury, his disproportionate celebrity. . . . It all just makes him seem a little less than authentic, as if there's not much there there. Hopefully, all that stuff is now behind him and we'll see the real deal from here on out.

I went with Stephenson, perhaps overemphasizing his strong showing in the AFL.
    I voted Greene but these are very fair comments, mace. I've considered this and only the future will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I think the organization has a nice top four or five, but it's short on high impact players.
    Maybe.

Lodolo and Greene might well be aces.

Tyler Stephenson has some loud tools that have been largely hidden by home parks and being a catcher.

Garcia is young for his level, and his home park may have hidden 25+ HR power. (That'd make him a top five SS, fwiw.)

Beyond that, they've still got the Aquinos of the world who may well end up at least interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Maybe.

Lodolo and Greene might well be aces.

Tyler Stephenson has some loud tools that have been largely hidden by home parks and being a catcher.

Garcia is young for his level, and his home park may have hidden 25+ HR power. (That'd make him a top five SS, fwiw.)

Beyond that, they've still got the Aquinos of the world who may well end up at least interesting.
    Big fan of Stephenson here, but we're still betting on the power showing up. It's nearly entirely projection at this point. He's likely a starter even if it doesn't materialize, but to reach star status he'll need to tap into that monster frame.

Love Garcia as well, and he does have a high ceiling. Like Greene, he's still a ways out and has a lot to prove. The primary difference being pedigree (however foolish that may be). Greene's in an entirely different tier pedigree-wise.

11. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Green will become a shortstop if he struggles with pitching this year. Let’s remember several teams were going to draft him as a SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No he won't. This will be his first time back on the mound post TJ surgery. He will be given a longer rope than this year. If he is 23 and struggling as a pitcher, he may then decide to try his hand at hitting. Probably in another organization.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

last call

could the next poll have the result not hidden
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-26-2019),Fil3232 (11-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    could the next poll have the result not hidden
    Like all polls results should be hidden until you vote.

If you make the poll public, individuals can't see the results until they vote. Once an individual poster votes, then the results are displayed for that poster. Anyone who hasn't voted can't see the results. .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

Fil3232 (11-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If you make the poll public, individuals can't see the results until they vote. Once an individual poster votes, then the results are displayed for that poster. Anyone who hasn't voted can't see the results. .
    I did what you asked, but I still don't like it. At no point during my DSC career did they advise you to post polls where you're able to see results before you post.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-27-2019)

But these are hidden until way after you vote. I voted 3 days ago and I'm just seeing this now.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But these are hidden until way after you vote. I voted 3 days ago and I'm just seeing this now.
    That was my experience. Even after I voted, I did not see the results.

Turn Off Ads?