Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Moustakas

Re: Reds sign Moustakas

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I'm lukewarm on this one. Low average, low OBP, and has only played 47 games at second base in his nine-year career. He's not as good as peak Scooter, and he's a year older.

He's fine. The contract is fine. How much does this improve the team? A little, I think.
    I'm with ya. Probably even less than lukewarm. I guess it depends upon how you look at Scooter's season. I don't think it's unreasonable to see last year as an injury-filled aberration that just never got off the ground for him. It seems to me we could have re-signed the year and a half younger Scooter (for a shorter term to boot) and kept Peraza (still only 25 and only a year older than Senzel) as insurance for a mere fraction of what we are paying an older Moose. In case anyone forgot, Scooter had a 123 OPS+ in 2017 and a 125 in 2018 while Moose was at 117 in 2017 and 107 in 2018. Obviously last year was a different story for Scooter but it's not like Moose's 114 OPS+ was anything special relative to recent years for both of them. Wasn't the scoop with regard to trading/signing Scooter that there were a glut of comparable 2Bs out there so nobody wanted to trade or pay much for the position. What exactly are we really paying for here - an arguably better nickname?
    Last edited by Redeyecat; 12-02-2019 at 07:50 PM.

2. Likes:

Goose (12-02-2019),Tuff Nut (12-03-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I would never give that much for 2 years of Lindor.
    The Reds are not trading Stephenson.
    I would consider Santillan, India and Mahle/Desclafani.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If I could have one untouchable prospect, it’d be Greene, and I feel like they could probably make that trade without him. India+Lodolo+Stephenson comes close to getting it done, I would think. If not, add in Winker or Aquino too.
    - - - Updated - - -

5. Likes:

Powder River (12-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I would never give that much for 2 years of Lindor.
    The Reds are not trading Stephenson.
    I would consider Santillan, India and Mahle/Desclafani.

- - - Updated - - -
    Lindor makes them an instant WS contender, IMO. It would be well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (12-02-2019)

I really like Scooter and would have taken a chance with him for a bargain deal.

I can see Scooter signing back with the Brewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyecat View Post
    I'm with ya. Maybe even less than lukewarm. I guess it depends upon how you look at Scooter's season. I don't think it's unreasonable to see last year as an injury-filled aberration that just never got off the ground. it seems to me we could have re-signed the year and a half younger Scooter (for a shorter term to boot) and kept Peraza as insurance for a mere fraction of what we are paying an older Moose. In case anyone forgot, Scooter had a 123 OPS+ in 2017 and a 125 in 2018 while Moose was at 117 in 2017 and 107 in 2018. Obviously last year was a different story for Scooter but it's not like Moose's 114 OPS+ was anything special relative to recent years for both of them. Wasn't the scoop with regard to trading/signing Scooter that there were a glut of comparable 2Bs out there so nobody wanted to trade or pay much for the position. What exactly are we really paying here for - a better nickname?

9. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-02-2019)

I'm with ya. Maybe even less than lukewarm. I guess it depends upon how you look at Scooter's season. I don't think it's unreasonable to see last year as an injury-filled aberration that just never got off the ground. it seems to me we could have re-signed the year and a half younger Scooter (for a shorter term to boot) and kept Peraza as insurance for a mere fraction of what we are paying an older Moose. In case anyone forgot, Scooter had a 123 OPS+ in 2017 and a 125 in 2018 while Moose was at 117 in 2017 and 107 in 2018. Obviously last year was a different story for Scooter but it's not like Moose's 114 OPS+ was anything special relative to recent years for both of them. Wasn't the scoop with regard to trading/signing Scooter that there were a glut of comparable 2Bs out there so nobody wanted to trade or pay much for the position. What exactly are we really paying here for - a better nickname?
    If the Reds decided to re-sign Gennett and go into next season with Peraza as insurance, this fan base would have revolted. Rightfully so.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-02-2019),Ron Madden (12-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    If the Reds decided to re-sign Gennett and go into next season with Peraza as insurance, this fan base would have revolted. Rightfully so.
    Hmm, I don’t know, I would’ve been all for that myself. I tend to think Scooter will bounce back myself too. Honestly I probably would’ve even preferred a signing or trade at other positions and resigning Scooter, but I don’t mind that they went for a surer thing with Moose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

13. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-02-2019)

Lindor makes them an instant WS contender, IMO. It would be well worth it.
    FFF: Flags Fly Forever
    Seeking belief before knowledge leads to confusion.
    Seeking knowledge before belief leads to understanding.

15. Likes:

M2 (12-02-2019),Revering4Blue (12-02-2019),Wonderful Monds (12-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Not if they spent the money elsewhere (and better imo) with say Didi (thus making Galvis additional MI insurance with or even without Peraza) and Chiriinos and/or on pitching like Wheeler and/or some high quality relievers. Besides, that's just hypothetical emotional fan input (and not necessarily even true as I think a lot of fans would be happy to see Scooter back on the cheap with other key additions), not a constructive evaluation. If Scooter hits like he did before last year and the Reds start off winning he'd be the toast of the town.
    Last edited by Redeyecat; 12-02-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    FFF: Flags Fly Forever
    Yup. If the Reds are truly in go-for-it mode, then Lindor would be the guy to get. The trade simulator let me do Winker, India, Santillan and Galvis for Lindor and Brad Hand. Even said the Reds slightly overpaid on that one. That's an overpay I would make happily.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-02-2019),Marty and Joe (12-03-2019),membengal (12-02-2019),Mitri (12-02-2019),Old school 1983 (12-02-2019),Powder River (12-03-2019),RedlegJake (12-03-2019),REDREAD (12-02-2019),Revering4Blue (12-02-2019),Tuff Nut (12-03-2019)

1. They spent some $
    2. He's supposed to be good in the clubhouse
    3. he clearly knows how to win.

I like DIdi but I'm happy.

20. Likes:

DocRed (12-02-2019),Powder River (12-03-2019),Revering4Blue (12-02-2019)

Hmm, I don’t know, I would’ve been all for that myself. I tend to think Scooter will bounce back myself too. Honestly I probably would’ve even preferred a signing or trade at other positions and resigning Scooter, but I don’t mind that they went for a surer thing with Moose.
    Is he really 4 years at $64M (or whatever the actual contract difference would be) of a surer thing? For a slightly older player on the wrong side of 30? Based upon what, 1 injury-filled year? I'm not sure what I'm missing here?

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Defensive flexibility. He graded out as an average 2B last year (small sample though) after years as a plus 3B. Suarez will probably be hurt from time to time, and this gives the team some options.

No prospects given up.

Bats left handed.

No Red flags as a clubhouse guy.

If the Brewers have been cheating, we might get some insights.

Dislikes:

Not an on base guy. Hacker. If his bat speed and contact slip, this could be really ugly. Like Chris Davis ugly.

One of the worst hitters in the history of GABP for position players with over 60 plate appearances. Not a significant sample size but letís hope itís ALL noise.

Conclusion: I wouldnít have done it. I like guys who get on base, and we donít have enough of them. Best case scenario is that he will have a Buddy Bell like Reds tenure. A couple full seasons of 2-3 win play and then nothing.

Hope Iím wrong
    Alice Sweet's Tomato Plant

23. Likes:

CaiGuy (12-02-2019),DocRed (12-02-2019),Kinsm (12-03-2019),M2 (12-02-2019),Powder River (12-03-2019),Puffy (12-02-2019),Tuff Nut (12-03-2019),westofyou (12-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Looks like he had 19 PA hitting second last year.

Mostly appeared hitting cleanup (221 PA), third (170 PA), and fifth (119 PA).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...=b#lineu::none
    He had the most at bats out of any brewer with runners on base.
    Last edited by HammerTime; 12-02-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Not if they spent the money elsewhere (and better imo) with say Didi (thus making Galvis additional MI insurance with or even without Peraza) and Chiriinos and/or on pitching like Wheeler and/or some high quality relievers. Besides, that's just hypothetical emotional fan input (and not necessarily even true as I think a lot of fans would be happy to see Scooter back on the cheap with other key additions), not a constructive evaluation. If Scooter hits like he did before last year and the Reds start off winning he'd be the toast of the town.
    First off, we have no idea how the Reds intend to spend their money. All indications suggest the Reds have more money to spend after the Moustakas deal, so we have to wait and see what they do from here.

Frankly, I'm weary of someone like Gregorius to a sizable long-term contract. He got progressively worse offensively last season. Meanwhile, if Moustakas stays healthy, you know exactly what you're going to get. Consistent as you can get.

Gennett was absolutely terrible last season and has had multiple injury issues. That and his offensive approach scream to me that he's going to age poorly. The Reds couldn't go into next season counting on him and using Peraza (who's a negative WAR player anyway) as an insurance policy.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 12-02-2019 at 08:00 PM.

He has a chance to go bust, but I think for the first 3 years of the deal if he stays healthy he easily puts up 30 home runs a year.

Hell, I think he has an outside shot to put up 40 one year.

If last years OBP wasn't a fluke it's a great signing. If it was, it isn't all bad, as 35 home runs will play.

He also gives the Reds insurance at both 1b and 3rd. As you could plug in Galvis/VanMeter at 2nd depending on if the Reds get Didi.

Turn Off Ads?