Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Moustakas

Re: Reds sign Moustakas

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRed View Post
    I don't know as much as you guys about baseball but I'm happy that the Reds signed The Moose on board.
    Noting you location I suppose you do however have an opinion on Babcock being canned

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    The fact that the franchise value has increased from $270M in 2005 to being valued at over $1B present day, and the fact that despite every other team being willing to release the terms of their massive TV contracts, The Reds have been super secretive about theirs, saying only “well, it’s in the ballpark of what you might expect.”

They have the money.
    So you're basing it on basically nothing. That's fine. Just wondered if there was something substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    So you're basing it on basically nothing. That's fine. Just wondered if there was something substantial.
    They have the money. If you don’t believe it, well, they’ve done their job very well in convincing you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    They have the money. If you don’t believe it, well, they’ve done their job very well in convincing you.
    I don't know one way or the other. And neither do you, apparently. I was just trying to figure out if you were going on opinion or fact. I would have been very interested if you had some relevant facts to share.

At the end of the day, we all know none of these teams are "poor". It's all relative to the competition, though.

Solid article - https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/1...asmani-grandal

This makes sense to me - "What you're seeing in the non-tenders is just the inevitable result of teams increasingly seeing $/WAR as a curve rather than a line, something that should always have been the case but empirically wasn't for the first 40 years or so of free agency."

8. Likes:

mth123 (12-06-2019),REDREAD (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Also it's highly possible by the end of his contract the NL will have a DH.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I’ll bet you a 5 Way from Skyline that that will not happen
    When can I collect?
    Last edited by HammerTime; 05-05-2022 at 01:29 PM.

10. Likes:

NebraskaRed (05-05-2022),Sea Ray (05-06-2022)

Seeing this bumped, it's hard not to notice the virtually unopposed enthusiasm of RZ for what is arguably the worst FA contract in Reds' history. I say "virtually' because some of us did think it a very bad idea and got the usual ridicule for saying so.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Seeing this bumped, it's hard not to notice the virtually unopposed enthusiasm of RZ for what is arguably the worst FA contract in Reds' history. I say "virtually' because some of us did think it a very bad idea and got the usual ridicule for saying so.
    The enthusiasm was because the Reds were trying to win. I'd rather be overpaying(which I said it was in this thread) for free agents than tanking to the worst team in MLB.

This is the risk you take when playing on the FA market.

Totals for their past 5 seasons prior to their last FA contract, which were signed about the same age:

Castellanos (Phillies)
    OPS+ 122
    WAR - 9.0

Moustakas (Reds)
    OPS+ 114
    WAR - 11.1

Everybody wants to sign the guy until they have the benefit of retrospect.

It was truly a terrible signing, and it was original for the middle infield to boot! But usually these FA contracts should be avoided by all but the top markets. They just kill your ability to retain talent or improve elsewhere.

Not everybody. I didn't want Moustakas signed.

Virtually unopposed? C'mon... I know you want to pat yourself on the back here but there was significant opposition to the signing

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Virtually unopposed? C'mon... I know you want to pat yourself on the back here but there was significant opposition to the signing
    Never contested this, but the great majority of the board was in favor of the signing. All I wanted to take exception to was the statement above that "everybody" wants to do this or that. I'm always opposed to groupthink of any variety and in any area. There is a lot of piling on in RZ and I oppose it for all sorts of reasons.

Never contested this, but the great majority of the board was in favor of the signing. All I wanted to take exception to was the statement above that "everybody" wants to do this or that. I'm always opposed to groupthink of any variety and in any area. There is a lot of piling on in RZ and I oppose it for all sorts of reasons.
    You got it right. I just disagree that there was some sort of groupthink that you valiantly opposed. There was a pro-Moustakas contingent and an anti-Moustakas contingent. I just think you had all the ammo to spike the ball without the embellishment

At this point the Reds need to be looking to unload him for a bag of baseballs for the first taker. I’d not throw in a real prospect to do it, but I’d eat half the remaining salary. At least you could spend some of it next year

Since coming back from the IL, Moose has put up over a 1.000 OPS. It’s only 7 games, but he looks to be healthy and productive right now.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?