Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Free Agency Plan

Re: New Free Agency Plan

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    on MLB radio they were linking Didi to the Phillies and moving Segura to 2B. It sounded more like the guy in the studio speculating, but it would make sense.
    Are these clowns the new Yankees or something? Good god

2. Turn Off Ads?

has there been any speculation about how much if any the Red Sox would eat on the David Price contract in a package with Betts?

4. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-04-2019)

If Aquino could play LF, I would not rule out Puig. It would be fun seeing guys challenge those two arms in the corner outfield positions.....Aquino and Puig bot have cannons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Just because someone wants Castellanos doesn't mean they are discounting Aquino
    Didn't intend to imply exactly that. I'll say it a different way. If you believed in Aquino's power, you would spend the money elsewhere in areas of need. I have tried to make the case elsewhere that a Winker/Ervin LF platoon is likely to provide as much power, better defense, and at a cheaper price than a multi-year contract to Castellanos or Ozuna.

7. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (12-04-2019),mth123 (12-04-2019),Redeyecat (12-05-2019),Ron Madden (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    has there been any speculation about how much if any the Red Sox would eat on the David Price contract in a package with Betts?
    Starting from scratch, I think that would have been the best avenue to thoroughly investigate (I assume the Moose deal pretty much kills it now.) With the money we had available based upon the Moose deal and Wheeler offer I wonder if we could have just taken both Betts and Price off their hands for a "C" prospect if Boston didn't have to pick up any of either contract. Too much? Too little? I don't know how that would fly for either team, but I'd be open to adding some players either or both ways to even it out. They get a ton of payrolll flexibility under the tax to add a Strasberg, Cole or whoever. While we'd have Betts in CF (albeit for one year), Senzel at 2B, Price as a LH starter and Mahle fortifying the bullpen and 6th starter if/when needed. Maybe play around with adding another reliever or two and/or a catcher and a few pitching projects in particular, but I'd have loved to see us go for it this year with that team.
    Last edited by Redeyecat; 12-05-2019 at 04:41 PM.

I had kicked this around a few weeks ago. I think maybe David Price is primed for a big rebound after his cyst ordeal last year. He was on track for his best season in Boston prior to blowing up with that injury. I think he would be a great addition to the rotation next year. Obviously Betts is a beast. The issue is the 60 million owed a 35 and 36 year old Price after this season. That has an incredible amount of risk and the main reason for the trade (Betts) will be long gone.
    Great for next season, but you had better win big next season.....

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Didn't intend to imply exactly that. I'll say it a different way. If you believed in Aquino's power, you would spend the money elsewhere in areas of need. I have tried to make the case elsewhere that a Winker/Ervin LF platoon is likely to provide as much power, better defense, and at a cheaper price than a multi-year contract to Castellanos or Ozuna.
    If the Reds are going for it this year, then they shouldn't be relying on Aquino in RF.

11. Likes:

CaiGuy (12-05-2019),LexRedsFan (12-06-2019),Rdirtypirates (12-05-2019),REDREAD (12-05-2019),Z-Fly (12-05-2019)

Not my plan, but I’d guess Reds will sign a FA pitcher before Winter Meetings end.

These things come in waves, Wheeler may begin a run on non-Cole starting pitchers. Supposedly MadBum is moving fast, again supposedly.

Surprised Reds are targeting starting pitchers now, but seems to be the case.

If this is right, I’d guess they will then, after the pitcher, turn to the trade market for more additions.

Just a guess, based on the way these things sometimes go.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-05-2019 at 09:07 AM.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not my plan, but I’d guess Reds will sign a FA pitcher before Winter Meetings end.

These things come in waves, Wheeler may begin a run on non-Cole starting pitchers. Supposedly MadBum is moving fast, again supposedly.

If this is right, I’d guess they will then, after the pitcher, turn to the trade market for more additions.

Starting pitching makes sense to me. Next offseason, the starting pitching market is rather shallow and while they could potentially re-sign Bauer, that will be a tough signing. They also clearly need Mahle to start in AAA for some depth. I keep seeing people suggesting Mahle will be traded but I don't see it currently unless they acquire an arm they feel good about storing in AAA for depth.

Re: Gregorius - the press is saying the Phils are all in with signing Didi. They have the money and they have Girardi, who can offer Didi no surprises with how the team will be managed. Also, Philly is near NYC. I think unfortunately, the Reds are clearly a long-shot here to add Didi. He would be a great addition to us though...

16. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2019)

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    Re: Gregorius - the press is saying the Phils are all in with signing Didi. They have the money and they have Girardi, who can offer Didi no surprises with how the team will be managed. Also, Philly is near NYC. I think unfortunately, the Reds are clearly a long-shot here to add Didi. He would be a great addition to us though...
    While Didi would be fine, I actually much prefer the idea of signing a higher-end pitcher, and then trading from surplus for a better bat. Whether that's an outfielder or a better SS, I think it's a better use of money and resources personally. I think Didi is a little too boom or bust for a year like 2020 where the Reds need more certainty if they can get it.

I think this is actually their plan (based upon them being hot after some of these pitchers), and I really like it. I can't imagine them signing a pitcher like that and then just stopping. They still haven't "gotten the hitting" as they've claimed they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    If the Reds are going for it this year, then they shouldn't be relying on Aquino in RF.
    My point is that spending the money on Didi and standing pat on the outfield actually adds more offense without doing further damage to the defense (Moose at 2B). Aquino is a plus defender. If he hits .250 with 30 HR's he would be more valuable than an expensive replacement. Aquino's upside is actually higher. He seems to have strong wrists and should learn to better control the strike zone this year.

Reds are going to need to add a SS at some point, if just to back up Galvis. Didi would free up Galvis to back up SS and 2B. Considering Moose is really a 3B man, it would provide all sorts of flexibility to rest players selectively, and get better matchups, especially since Galvis is a switch hitter.

I get the sense that some would prefer to sign a LF'er and empty the farm to get two years of Lindor. Reds are likely losing starters in 2021, so I would not trade pitchers. Nor would I trade the only true SS or C prospect in the system. India is now blocked, so he could be made available, but what would he alone bring in return. If India hits this year, he is likely to have value next year. Thus, I disagree with this approach.

None of us know the contracts players are seeking or the ask for players like Lindor or Seager. I'm simply saying how I would approach the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

this is my gut feeling also. I think they may feel the value on this years FA market is with the pitching, and will seek offensive help in the trade market.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2019)

Instead of making one more big splash... Bum gardener...Gregorious.. Ozuna,,, I would prefer we go after several role players... Add Betances or Treinen to the pen..sign Fransisco Liriano for another LHP in the pen...sign Corey Dickerson and a decent-starter such as Julio Tehran and bring Danny Salazar in on a minor league contract.

22. Likes:

cnwizz (12-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    Instead of making one more big splash... Bum gardener...Gregorious.. Ozuna,,, I would prefer we go after several role players... Add Betances or Treinen to the pen..sign Fransisco Liriano for another LHP in the pen...sign Corey Dickerson and a decent-starter such as Julio Tehran and bring Danny Salazar in on a minor league contract.
    Thank you for finally mentioning help for the pen. We need much more reliability from relief pitching.

Turn Off Ads?