Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 72 of 72

Thread: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

  1. #61
    Take the pebble... Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,541

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    I think the Reds need to plan on stealing a lot of bases when they play the Brewers.
    “I hate the word, ‘competitive,’” Krall said. “I hate the word ‘competitive’ because that means you played just good enough to lose.

  2. Likes:

    DocRed (12-05-2019)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #62
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,049

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Guys, look at it this way.. last year, we paid Deitrich about what Narvaez is projected to make.
    If nothing else, he's a backup catcher off the bench that can actually hit.
    I'm sure he can catch better than Farmer, and the Reds were fine with Farmer being the ONLY catcher on the roster for quite a while.

    Definitely a guy that a small market team on the Reds should add to help increase the chance the offense gets better.. No one seems to have a problem with hoping Aquino is a stud bat, hoping Senzel improves, hoping Winker learns to hit LH pitching, hoping Votto bounces back, etc.. Not picking on any of these guys .. just saying.. why not pick up a catcher that is coming of a 353 OBP and a 813 OPS and put some hope on him? .. Reds were definitely asleep at the wheel on this one.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  5. #63
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,049

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    FWIW, I disagree, there's no point to "bringing him in" unless you plan to dump Barnhart or Casali.
    .
    Reds could dump Farmer or VanMeter or Dietrich (if they haven't already) to make room.
    Reds are loaded with utility men, and it's a 26 man roster next year.
    Plenty of room for a 3rd catcher that can potentially mash.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  6. #64
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,049

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He had more HR's last year than in his previous 9 years combined.

    There's a lot to suggest his offensive numbers won't continue and his defence is bad.
    But he's also left handed, he might get the same GAB slugging boost that Winker does.. His overall slugging numbers might get better as a Red. Now I have never actually seen the guy play, so I don't know.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  7. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    12,752

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    But he's also left handed, he might get the same GAB slugging boost that Winker does.. His overall slugging numbers might get better as a Red. Now I have never actually seen the guy play, so I don't know.
    Winker was always a very good hitter, it just took a while for his power to develop. His HR numbers weren't actually all that bad until he hit AAA, and if IIRC, he had some lingering wisit injuries that may have sapped his power at AAA.

    Naveraez was never that great as a hitter, and suddenly found life in season 10 power wise. Winker's power numbers in the majors was really not a surprise. Naveraez's power was a shock.

    Oh his power may continue, but the trade market suggests many teams felt it wouldn't. Including Seattle he seemed content to dump him for a fairly marginal return.

  8. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,502

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I think the Reds need to plan on stealing a lot of bases when they play the Brewers.
    Yep and there is a good chance you'll get an extra base for free too! There was a fan of the Mariners on reddit who commented on his throws often ending up in CF.

  9. Likes:

    Bob Sheed (12-05-2019)

  10. #67
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,049

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Winker was always a very good hitter, it just took a while for his power to develop. His HR numbers weren't actually all that bad until he hit AAA, and if IIRC, he had some lingering wisit injuries that may have sapped his power at AAA.

    Naveraez was never that great as a hitter, and suddenly found life in season 10 power wise. Winker's power numbers in the majors was really not a surprise. Naveraez's power was a shock.

    Oh his power may continue, but the trade market suggests many teams felt it wouldn't. Including Seattle he seemed content to dump him for a fairly marginal return.
    True, all of it, but last year..
    Winker at home 542 slugging (929 OPS)
    Winker away 398 slugging (722 OPS)

    Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it sure seems that Jeese benefited a lot from the GAB.

    Just saying that with the GAB, good chance that Narvaez probably gets his 22 HR again, and possibly more. GAB was really designed to help LH hitters with warning track power (or better).
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  11. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    12,752

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    True, all of it, but last year..
    Winker at home 542 slugging (929 OPS)
    Winker away 398 slugging (722 OPS)

    Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it sure seems that Jeese benefited a lot from the GAB.

    Just saying that with the GAB, good chance that Narvaez probably gets his 22 HR again, and possibly more. GAB was really designed to help LH hitters with warning track power (or better).
    I would say chance, but certainly not a good chance LOL.

  12. #69
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    11,575

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Alice Sweet's Tomato Plant

  13. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,470

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Reds could dump Farmer or VanMeter or Dietrich (if they haven't already) to make room.
    Reds are loaded with utility men, and it's a 26 man roster next year.
    Plenty of room for a 3rd catcher that can potentially mash.
    My 26th man would be Jankowski to play defensive backup CF. That’s more helpful day to day than a third dedicated catcher. Keep a third catcher at AAA rather than sitting on the bench and occasionally pinch hitting. Farmer is different since he plays pretty good infield.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-06-2019 at 01:54 AM.

  14. Likes:

    REDREAD (12-06-2019)

  15. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,502

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    My 26th man would be Jankowski to play defensive backup CF. That’s more helpful day to day than a third dedicated catcher. Keep a third catcher at AAA rather than sitting on the bench and occasionally pinch hitting. Farmer is different since he plays pretty good infield.
    I like Jankowski a lot and hope he sticks as well. The Reds should use him like the Astros used Jake Marisnek in CF/OF and he could be a solid contributor.

  16. #72
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,049

    Re: Brewers acquire Omar Narvaez

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    My 26th man would be Jankowski to play defensive backup CF. That’s more helpful day to day than a third dedicated catcher. Keep a third catcher at AAA rather than sitting on the bench and occasionally pinch hitting. Farmer is different since he plays pretty good infield.
    Let's assume Janowski is worthy of a roster spot for the sake of argument.
    Still plenty of room for Narvaras if we got him.
    Naravas could win the backup catcher.
    Or Navaras could bump one of Farmer/Van Meter.
    Or the Reds could use one of Farmer/Van Metter as a backup OF along with Janowski (so there's no need for two true backup OF)

    The way I was reasoning, Navaras is likely better than one of Farmer, Van Meter, Janowski, Ervin, and Casalli (I am guessing that is the tentative bench RZ envisions) . But it's mainly an upside play. He's a potential starting C that had an OPS over 800 last season. He's LH and the GAB favors LH hitters with some pop.

    Average exit velocity, which is part of the reason for skepticism tells me nothing, IMO.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator