Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How about David Price?

Re: How about David Price?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I know I've seen his name brought up on here before, mostly in regards to possibly making a Mookie Betts deal work, but it struck me last night how Price on his own might be a really good fit for the Reds.

1. Boston wants to cut payroll, and his tenure there has been up and down. He is currently owed $32 million each year over the next 3 seasons, and Boston seems potentially motivated to eat some of that to get out from under the whole thing.

2. We know the Reds are interested in that LH starter market of guys like Bumgarner. While Bumgarner could cost something like maybe 5 years/$100 million, this Yahoo writer asks the question "If the Red Sox ate $36 million, could they find a market for Price at three years and $60 million?". I say yes, and I would be very interested if I were the Reds. In my opinion, I don't think there's much of a talent gulf between Price and Bumgarner, and less years and dollars is certainly preferable when talking about veteran pitchers.

3. Now down Price himself. He's had issues with his health in Boston, but in two of his four Boston seasons he has gone over 175 innings. Apparently he has never really taken well to Boston, but there were never really any reported problems in Tampa or Detroit. And in what I think is a VERY interesting point, Price is a grad of Vanderbilt. His pitching coach there? Derek Johnson. Oh and while Price and Sonny Gray just missed out on being in a rotation together at Vandy, they are still good friends.

So any interest on RZ in Price, or is another target or the free agent market the preferred route?
    The thing that interests me is the Johnson connection. If he could be had for a low player cost, I would do 3 for 60. This is all dependant on Johnson's opinion if Price has anything left.

2. Likes:

redsman2007 (12-07-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    The thing that interests me is the Johnson connection. If he could be had for a low player cost, I would do 3 for 60. This is all dependant on Johnson's opinion if Price has anything left.
    100% agree with this!

Price was actually on track for his best season in Boston prior to his cyst last year. He tried to pitch through it and could not. Finally he had it surgically removed. It isn't ligament or joint related, so no I'll effect is expected going forward. Like I'd said in another post, he will be a positive this year. It depends on how you feel about owing up to 64 million on a 35 year old pitcher after this year. Maybe they'd dump Betts for nothing if they got rid of Price in the process. They would probably need something coming back so it didn't look like a salary dump completely. I bet it could be done for less than people would think, but the reds would be taking on 20+ for Betts this year and 96 for price over 3 years.....wowser. That would most definitely be classified as going for it. On the positive side, you may have spare parts left over to trade for SS or bullpen help.....I wouldn't throw a fit, but it is a big gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’m not a big fan of acquiring Price or Baumgartner
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

7. Likes:

Chip R (12-10-2019),DocRed (12-08-2019),kaldaniels (12-07-2019),OhioRiverBarge (12-07-2019),Plus Plus (12-08-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

To take on that salary I'd want Chatham and/or Casas as well. I think there's a deal to be made, though. Maybe Disco+Freidl for Price+Chatham+Casas, something like that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Bumgarner has the miles on his arm, but he’s been healthier than either Keuchel or Price and a good bit better pitcher than either. I’d pay the premium to get the best bet.

10. Likes:

Spike (12-08-2019)

Madbum's fly ball/home run tendencies are less of a worry because he doesn't allow many baserunners. Occasional bombs won't do as much damage with the bases empty. I'm coming around on him.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Not interested in Price unless he can OPS about .850 over 600 PAS per season, preferably while playing above average defense at SS or behind the plate.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

blumj (12-08-2019),DocRed (12-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Madbum's fly ball/home run tendencies are less of a worry because he doesn't allow many baserunners. Occasional bombs won't do as much damage with the bases empty. I'm coming around on him.
    I don’t buy this, homer allowance is a problem at GABP. But I would agree that MadBum is an extremely high quality veteran who can make adjustments to reduce the fly balls. It hasn’t been a problem until recently. Working with DJ I’d be fairly confident.

Still, a $100 million deal at this stage of his career with all that mileage. Not sure I could pull the trigger on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Bumgarner has the miles on his arm, but he’s been healthier than either Keuchel or Price and a good bit better pitcher than either. I’d pay the premium to get the best bet.
    Check out MBaums Road ERA. We do not want him even if he is healthy. He’s been pitching in a huge stadium with a cool climate.

DallasK I think will be the best value for the money. But I would honestly rather have an affordable Disco than commit so much money AND trade Disco too for Price.

Just me, but I think there is too much stock and name recognition being put into guys not named Cole and Strausburg.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Check out MBaums Road ERA. We do not want him even if he is healthy. He’s been pitching in a huge stadium with a cool climate.

DallasK I think will be the best value for the money. But I would honestly rather have an affordable Disco than commit so much money AND trade Disco too for Price.

Just me, but I think there is too much stock and name recognition being put into guys not named Cole and Strausburg.
    I don’t know. I don’t think splits like home/road are always revealing.

how about Joe Price crafty lefty

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm interested in Keuchel, and at something like 3/$45-$50 million I would be very interested, but I'm worried that his performance could go south fairly quickly. IMO, Price has both the higher floor and ceiling.
    I consider them somewhat similar....I guess it all comes down to how much Boston will cover....but Price or Keuchel would be great in the 3/4 slot in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don’t know. I don’t think splits like home/road are always revealing.
    So if a Reds hitter had a significant statistical drop off outside of GABP, you wouldn’t think that’s an issue?

The Reds paying Bumgarner 100 million over the next five years as a reward for all of the cheap production he’s provided San Francisco over the last decade seems like a great way to wind up with another Homer Bailey situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    how about Joe Price crafty lefty

How ‘bout Lance Davis? I remember being very excited by his post-All Star Break stats in 2001 only to never see him throw another pitch in the bigs. Such was the Lost Decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-08-2019)

He still bangs

This is one of my favorite ideas of the offseason. It seems like Boston could be motivated to move him and would eat into that contract.

I don’t think I would do Lodolo. I think he and Stephenson are the only two id need a clear overpay on to move. I’d be willing to send Greene OR any two prospects not named Lodolo, Stephenson, Greene.

Turn Off Ads?