Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Major Moves

Three Major Moves

I think the Reds still have some major moves left in them. Here are the three I'd make at this point.

1. Trade Winker, India, Greene and Garcia to the Diamondbacks for Ketel Marte

Marte put up .389 OB and .981 OPS last year. He had a better WAR than Lindor or Betts, and he missed the last couple weeks of the season. He's also signed to a team friendly (5 years $24 million) contract and controlled through 2024. He didn't play much SS last year and that would be my only concern but I think he'd be decent enough if he hits like that. The other concern is whether the Diamondbacks would even move him. They have no reason to, but I'd put together the package it takes to get that done. Marte has flown under the radar but he is my new favorite trade target.

2. Sign Castellanos to a 4 year/$84 million deal

He won't win a gold glove but his defense will be acceptable in LF. It also makes him a little more affordable and I like that. Will still only be 28 this year and should provide plenty of pop for the offense (1.002 OPS after moving to NL last year). It also takes pressure off of Aquino, who I still like, and allows him to move down in the order.

3. Sign Dallas Keuchel to a 3 year/$42 million deal

He's not what he once was, but he's still going to be a decent pitcher for the next three seasons. He provides a LHP to the rotation and brings some playoff experience as well. I like him to slide into the number three spot and give the Reds arguably the best rotation in the NL top to bottom.

That would give the Reds the following:

SS Marte
    1B Votto
    3B Suarez
    2B Moustakas
    LF Castellanos
    CF Senzel
    RF Aquino
    C Barnali

Castillo
    Gray
    Keuchel
    Bauer
    Desclafani

There would still need to be some additional smaller moves to help the bullpen. But, that's a team with true playoff aspirations and one I could see doing a lot of damage when they get there. I think it's certainly doable for the Reds.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (12-12-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Three Major Moves

Sorry, but you lost me at #1. Wow.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

5. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-24-2019),Chainsaw (12-14-2019),MrRedSkull (12-12-2019),reds77 (12-12-2019),RedsFanInMS (12-15-2019),savafan (12-12-2019),Tuff Nut (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Sorry, but you lost me at #1. Wow.
    Can I ask why?

Marte solves a lot of problems for the Reds. He's cost-controlled for five seasons. Provides great offense and could easily leadoff. His biggest questions (in my eyese) are defense at SS and acquisition price.

Assuming that the Diamondbacks are going to trade Marte and that contract is about as senseless as people assuming the Reds are looking to deal Castillo.

Quote Originally Posted by SErebel11 View Post
    Assuming that the Diamondbacks are going to trade Marte and that contract is about as senseless as people assuming the Reds are looking to deal Castillo.
    Agree, it would require a lot to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by SErebel11 View Post
    Yeah, I don't see why the Dbacks would do that deal.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsman2007 View Post
    Can I ask why?

Marte solves a lot of problems for the Reds. He's cost-controlled for five seasons. Provides great offense and could easily leadoff. His biggest questions (in my eyese) are defense at SS and acquisition price.
    Marte has had one really good year. It kinda came out of nowhere, and that's too much of a wildcard to risk these kinds of assets. I'd like to have him, but giving up arguably 3 of our top 6 prospects plus Winker is just too much for almost anyone whom we could reasonably expect to acquire.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

11. Likes:

MrRedSkull (12-12-2019),Rojo Rijo (12-12-2019),Tuff Nut (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Marte has had one really good year. It kinda came out of nowhere, and that's too much of a wildcard to risk these kinds of assets. I'd like to have him, but giving up arguably 3 of our top 6 prospects plus Winker is just too much for almost anyone whom we could reasonably expect to acquire.
    Agreed. That is a hefty price to pay for a guy with one real year of star level production. Buying an asset at its peak value is a big time risk and is much more likely to work out in favor of the other team.

13. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Yeah, I don't see why the Dbacks would do that deal.
    I think it's a case where both teams are saying that. That's a hell of a lot to give up for a guy with one really good year.

15. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (12-12-2019)

Didn't make it past the first six words.

I might off India, one of the other three and another body (Guttierez?).

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Trade Lodolo, Stephenson, and Winker to Cleveland for Lindor

Sign Castellanos

Sign Betances

Then you’ve got a lineup of something like

CF Senzel
    SS Lindor
    3B Suarez
    LF Castellanos
    2B Moustakas
    1B Votto
    RF Aquino
    C Barnhart

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Trade Lodolo, Stephenson, and Winker to Cleveland for Lindor

Sign Castellanos & Ozuna

Sign Betances
    Made a slight change.

What’s the point of making these complex trade proposals out of thin air? Why do people do this?

21. Likes:

MrRedSkull (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    What’s the point of making these complex trade proposals out of thin air? Why do people do this?
    Armchair-GM'ing. People consider it fun to spitball trade ideas on a message board.

23. Likes:

WrongVerb (12-12-2019)

Turn Off Ads?