Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

Re: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

Bauer really going after the Astros (personally) on Twitter.

2. Likes:

Chip R (01-14-2020),DocRed (01-14-2020),NebraskaRed (01-14-2020),Norm Chortleton (01-14-2020),podgejeff_ (01-14-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Cora has to be facing a one year suspension, at least.
    The hammer must come down. Reports say Cora participated. Case closed. My argument is the penalty for Houston. Take away the WS win. Look at players and suspend. Fine should have been bigger.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

5. Likes:

DocRed (01-14-2020),REDREAD (01-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Bauer really going after the Astros (personally) on Twitter.
    Reds really should sign Puig. Imagine going to war with those two leading the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It's really difficult to believe an administration with a track record for both lying and graft.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (01-14-2020),savafan (01-14-2020)

I would hit the Astros hard they would have to give up 2 million to every team for the next 3 years. The money given up can only go to players more international pool money, draft money, or free money to avoid luxury tax or payroll teams choice. This would provide competitive help to all teams and hurt Astros

9. Likes:

REDREAD (01-14-2020)

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm fine with the punishment of Hinch and Luhnow, especially the latter. I would like to have seen some sort of a punishment to the players involved, especially given that MLB's findings were that this was completely player-driven, other than bench coach, Alex Cora. Hinch and Luhnow were punished - appropriately - under a vicarious liability theory; the findings were that they didn't ask the players to do this, but failed to stop it. So I completely disagree with people saying that managers and GMs won't be dissuaded by these punishments. You think David Bell and Dick Williams want a one year ban?

Having said that, I am 100% certain that Hinch will get a managing job immediately after the 2020 World Series. But he's the exception, not the rule. He's well regarded, and organizations will view this as an uncharacteristic act of nonfeasance.

I can understand the feeling that maybe ownership should have been punished more. Most owners would trade a championship for a $5 million fine and four high draft picks. But $5 million is the maximum fine under the prevailing agreements. Not sure what more they could do. As much as Jim Crane seems to be a snake, I don't think this rises to the level of force-the-guy-to-sell-the-team.
    Alice Sweet's Tomato Plant

11. Likes:

DocRed (01-14-2020),REDREAD (01-14-2020),Revering4Blue (01-16-2020),Ron Madden (01-14-2020)

Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

I will give credit to Jim Crane.

He could have contested Manfred, stood behind Luhnow and Hinch, and essentially given the finger to MLB.

When you consider the cheating going on in college sports that is being swept under the rug, itís nice to see actual consequences, even if it isnít the death penalty.

On that note, kinda similar to paying players in college, would anyone really be surprised with the technology available if this was happening in other ballparks (MLB, college, and minors) all over the country? As pure as you want to pretend the game is, the times are starting to catch up with baseball.
    Last edited by WVRed; 01-14-2020 at 03:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

13. Likes:

BillDoran (01-14-2020),REDREAD (01-14-2020),Revering4Blue (01-16-2020)

Punishing players was deemed “impractical given the large number of players involved, and the fact that many of those players now play for other Clubs.”
    Hmm. I find this weak. Baseball penalized players in the wake of the steroid scandal, regardless of whether they moved teams in the interim.

If the Astros sign-stealing was player-driven to the extent reported, the guilty parties got off Scott-free.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

15. Likes:

DocRed (01-14-2020)

If there were players who were primary actors in this scheme, they should be feeling very fortunate right now.

Forfeiture of the World Series is useless. You can’t undo what was done. I know what I saw on the field. It’s like the NCAA going back and retroactively vacating wins from years ago for recruiting violations or whatever. It’s hollow, futile, and doesn’t do anything. The World Series was played, and the Astros won it.

18. Likes:

mth123 (01-14-2020),Old school 1983 (01-14-2020),RedlegJake (01-14-2020),RedsBaron (01-14-2020),Revering4Blue (01-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Forfeiture of the World Series is useless. You can’t undo what was done. I know what I saw on the field. It’s like the NCAA going back and retroactively vacating wins from years ago for recruiting violations or whatever. It’s hollow, futile, and doesn’t do anything. The World Series was played, and the Astros won it.
    It should be humiliating for anyone to have a title stripped. But other than that you are correct. It doesn't undo the results.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

20. Likes:

REDREAD (01-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Yeah, I can't see the Dodgers now having a parade and giving out World Championship rings to all their players. What happened stinks, but it happened.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-16-2020),Ron Madden (01-14-2020),Tracy Jones (01-14-2020)

I think it would be tough to punish the players. From what I understand, players cooperated and gave details. Otherwise how would MLB got any detailed information about how it went down. Second, how do you decide which players to punish? Altuve, Bregman are the easy ones but a 25 man roster is very fluid. Does some guy who gets called up for a week get suspended? Do the pitchers get suspended? Do September callups get suspended? What about a guy who was on the team in April then he was traded or sent down? Plus who knows who got the signals and who didn't. You hear stuff all the time about former players who didn't want the signs. Third, you try suspending players and you have the union on your back while in the middle of negotiating a new CBA.

This may not satisfy the bloodlust but I'm sure MLB knows the players who were participating in this the most. Leak the names to the media and have the players walk around with that stigma the rest of their career. It'll be like, "Oh, that Bregman is a great player but he cheated so take what he did with a huge grain of salt." If their numbers drop in the future, it'll be fair game to have people wonder if they were just great because of the unfair advantage they had. That may be punishment enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

24. Likes:

REDREAD (01-14-2020),Revering4Blue (01-16-2020),savafan (01-14-2020)

Word around the league is most MLB teams are not happy about the severity of the punishments.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...unishment.html

26. Likes:

REDREAD (01-14-2020)

So, I'm probably the only one, but I don't really care that much about any of this. Stealing signs has been going on forever and using technology has too. IN the past it was binoculars in the stands, now its higher tech stuff. IMO, everybody does it and with technology improving I doubt it slows down much. I guess making an example out of these guys might give some pause to some people, but its going to keep happening and as technology develops, it will be impossible to prevent.

To me it's just part of the game. Same as doctoring the ball, corking a bat and every other type of advantage guys try to get. My guess is most guys are glad it wasn't them who got made an example and they probably know it could have been.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

28. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-16-2020),westofyou (01-14-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-14-2020)

Re: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Everyone on the Astros probably knew, including the owner.
    Maybe an appropriate punishment would be to force the Astros owner to sell his team to the Lindner family?
    On second thought, that's too cruel.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

30. Likes:

cincinnati chili (Yesterday),Revering4Blue (01-16-2020)

Turn Off Ads?