Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Major Bridge in Baltimore Collaspes

Re: Major Bridge in Baltimore Collaspes

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yep, black smoke would be indicative of a mechanical failure, not an issue of seaworthiness
    The Wall Street Journal published an article yesterday mentioning dirty fuel (approximately 80% normal fuel and 20% garbage fuel) may have led to the outage which seems to go in line with the black smoke. If that was the cause, I would think they'd be able to trace back where it came from pretty easily.

I wonder how often dirty fuel is used in the shipping industry and what kind of regulations there are from stopping it. It seems like it'd cause a lot of problems so maybe it's pretty rare since ship wrecks are very uncommon.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Likes:

LiferJim (03-28-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    They are very different sized and used bridges. Early estimates are that it will cost between $350 - $600 million to replace FSK and a current estimate for replacement of Brent Spence is $3.6 billion.

30,000 vehicles per day (ADT - avg. daily traffic) on FSK Bridge
    170,000 vehicles per day (ADT) on Brent Spence bridge

FSK carries mainly port traffic, so key last mile, supply chain, commodities movement versus commuters and commodities on Brent Spence.
    No, they’re looking at $2 billion to rebuild that bridge

https://www.khon2.com/hill-politics/...re-bridge/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No, they’re looking at $2 billion to rebuild that bridge

https://www.khon2.com/hill-politics/...re-bridge/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The latest I read (WashPost)is that Maryland is anticipated to ask for $600 milllion up to $1 billion. US DOT only has $1 billion currently for Emergency relief funds, but congress can always add more (theoretically - this years appropriations were 6 months late).

Newer bridges have “fenders” built around the piers closest to the main shipping channels. These work to deflect or redirect ships. You need that type of barrier because many busy ports have a lot of close calls where ships come close to hitting bridge support piers.

7. Likes:

M2 (03-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Newer bridges have “fenders” built around the piers closest to the main shipping channels. These work to deflect or redirect ships. You need that type of barrier because many busy ports have a lot of close calls where ships come close to hitting bridge support piers.
    True, however, I read that the fenders wouldn’t have helped in this situation due to the massive size of the ship.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I read that this accident is calling into question the decline in tugboat usage through the channel to the open sea, which was precipitated by improvements in maneuverability of newer ships. Except when they have a catastrophic failure. It's still mind boggling that a modern vessel could have such a complete loss of power, like an old outboard on a jon boat.

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?