Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: No, You Aren't Good Enough To Hit .100 vs MLB Pitching

Re: No, You Aren't Good Enough To Hit .100 vs MLB Pitching

I'll never get a hit because I'm not standing there unless I'm protected like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

Roy Tucker (04-13-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The science behind hitting a 95 mile-per-hour fastball, explained by experts

Fast-pitching is almost taken for granted by the time fans tune in for the World Series but don’t under-estimate the ability to throw 95-mile-an-hour fastballs, much less to hit one.

Let’s start with some basic math. The mound is 60 feet, 6 inches from the plate. A 95-mph fastball is traveling about 139 feet-per-second. That means it takes about 0.425 seconds to reach the plate.

That’s less than half a second for hand-eye coordination to do its thing and make a connection.
    He set up FOX 13’s Josh Cascio in a batting cage to face the equivalent of an 88-mile-an-hour pitch.

It might as well have been 188.

“You’re not really thinking about when you’re up there. Especially [Major League Baseball players], everyone in the World Series, they’ve done it their whole life. They're used to that speed,” Fisherman said.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-13-2024),Ron Madden (04-13-2024),UKFlounder (04-13-2024)

Although its softball, Eddie Feigner was probably the hardest person to ever hit against.

7. Likes:

Chip R (04-15-2024),SunDeck (04-13-2024)

I bet you'd have a better chance of hitting .100 off an MLB pitcher before would would on one of these #@$#!! games (lol).

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I bet you'd have a better chance of hitting .100 off an MLB pitcher before would would on one of these #@$#!! games (lol).

Looks like some terrible base-running there.
    “You'll never win anything with kids", Alan Hansen, 19 August 1995. How wrong he was.

I am from Pasadena CA, attended LaSalle HS 82–85. In preseason 1985, we played Maranatha at their field in Sierra Madre where I reached safely on a base hit off of pitcher Tim Worrell.

Fast forward to early 2013, at age 46, I played in our alumni game vs our varsity seniors. With the exception of one other alumnus, all my teammates that day were born AFTER my last year of HS ball.

In my 4th AB, I faced a hard throwing kid named Bubba Derby. This old guy was treated to quite a show, seeing absolute eye popping stuff with ridiculous movement, speed changes, etc. Despite such, I managed a foul ball and ultimately, popped up to the shortstop.

Afterward, my fellow older teammate informed this Derby kid had signed a letter of intent at San Diego State to play for Tony Gwynn. Bubba Derby ultimately would be drafted in the sixth round by the A’s. He bounced around in the minors, AA/AAA, never making the show.

Since then, I figured it was best to leave on a high note, and haven’t played in an alumni game since!
    Last edited by Number_Fourteen; 04-15-2024 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Some of you just aren't cut out to follow baseball. You can't live and die second-guessing every decision for 162 games

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-22-2024),KeefeCato (04-15-2024),Redsfaithful (04-18-2024),Ron Madden (04-15-2024)

If I had 100 MLB at bats.......I'd be on the IL with an oblique injury well before I even got the honor of going 0-100.

14. Likes:

Chip R (04-15-2024),TCURedleg34 (04-22-2024)

With the name Bubba Derby, who could anyone expect the kid to be anything more than a journeyman minor leaguer?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

16. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (04-18-2024)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

18. Likes:

Chip R (04-19-2024),TCURedleg34 (04-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Came here to post this as I watched it last night...

I actually know those guys, went to HS with the Cotton twins (Yes, and Paul Goldschmidt). They are all very high end athletes with Ty being the best of the bunch. Not D1 talented, but very high end. Was surprised to see him get the hit. He also looks like he's in MUCH better shape than he was 10 years ago. Dude looks fairly jacked these days in his mid 30's. Honestly not sure how he didn't hurt himself with all those cuts he took.

Turn Off Ads?