SP-Randy Wolf
    SP-Joel Pineiro
    SP-Ryan Franklin
    BENCH- Brett Myers
    DL-Randy Johnson

RP-Eddie Guardado
    RP-Keith Foulke
    RP-Troy Percival

My question is this...should I drop Brett Myers and pickup Josh Beckett, who is scheduled to come off the DL and start on June 28th? Myers has been struggling lately, but still hasn't been terrible. I'm worried that a firesale by the Fish will deplete their offense enough that Beckett will have a hard time winning games.

We use IP, W, L, CG, SO, SV, H, BB, K, ERA, WHIP as categories.

What do you guys think...make the move?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-18-2003 at 05:41 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Tough call. The two have an identical ERA. Beckett will strike more batters out, but he has been giving up a lot of hits this season. Myers has a better offense working for him, but his K/BB ratio isn't as good.

Myers is learning to pitch from being around Millwood and Randy Wolf, while Beckett is forced to labor in the Marlin's Ligament Destruction Factory. Plus, Beckett has dealt with nagging blisters for the past two seasons.

Of the two, I'd have to say Myers is probably the better pick.

But why choose between the two? If I were you, I'd dump Ryan Franklin and pick up Beckett. Franklin's WHIP is unbelievably low for a guy who has trouble striking anyone out. Granted, he plays for the Mariners, so he'll rack up some wins, but I think he's riding for a fall. Maybe you can trade him away...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Thanks for the advice, Johnny.

Basically what it comes down to is that I have Brett Myers and Ryan Franklin on my team now. I can pick up Beckett and drop either one of these two now. I can stash Beckett on my bench and continue starting the pitchers I already have without much problem. When the Unit comes off the DL around the All-Star break, then I have to dump someone. So, out of Myers, Beckett, and Franklin, I can only keep 1 for the long haul. I would be picking up Beckett as a "test" to see how he performed between the time he is activated on June 28th until the time that the Unit comes off the DL. If he's great, I keep him and dump the remainder of the Myers / Franklin winner. If he's average or sucks, I'd drop Beckett and keep the winner of the Myers / Franklin duo. I'm just not sure if I should dump either right now and then decide which of those two to dump when Unit comes back, or drop one of the two now, and pick between that guy and Beckett when Unit comes off the DL...if that makes any sense.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?