Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds Trade Scott Dunn for D'Angelo Jimenez

Originally posted by PERJLM
    Boss,
    How is this trade going to help the Reds win the division? It won't, man!
    I am going to address this. This move might not help the Reds win the division this year, but it may help in building a good team for the future. One of the biggest needs for this team was a lead off hitter and a future second baseman. We just acquired that player. That helps doesn't it?

It's not like the trade deadline has expired. I suggest you wait until that time to make a final judgement on trades the Reds have made. The point is, there's no need to be a total pessimist. There are future moves that could be made to help the team. Like I said earlier, pitching is tough to acquire, especially when you have so many teams that are either unexpectedly still in the race or "on the bubble". More moves will be made, trust me. I'm sure some will bash those moves as well, but we must look at the trades and see how they effect this team not only this year, but in the future as well. In my opinion, this trade greatly improves this team for the future, while moderately helps this season.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The point is, there's no need to be a total pessimist. There are future moves that could be made to help the team.
    Right.

Baseball and teams aren't just THIS SEASON, it's an organic thing, it ebbs and flows like the ocean, winning seasons are the waves, trades and moves are just a way to try and get to the good break... winning it all is riding one right to the beach.

Some people just want to sit there and get a tan.... or burned.

I really hope that any moves that the Reds may make at the deadline are moves that will make this team a better team for the long haul and not just this season. I may be wrong, but this team doesn't really look like it is ready to win this year, and a couple of knee jerk moves could really make it hard to win for a long time.

Originally posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I really hope that any moves that the Reds may make at the deadline are moves that will make this team a better team for the long haul and not just this season. I may be wrong, but this team doesn't really look like it is ready to win this year, and a couple of knee jerk moves could really make it hard to win for a long time.
    exactly. i would much rather watch the reds improve at a healthy pace that is sustainable. trading guys who aren't even arbitration eligible is probably not the best way to do that.

Originally posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Amen. If it means parting with Aaron Boone to get Jason Johnson or someone similar (Ponson, Benson) or parting with him to get Juan Cruz, or someone similar (pitching prospect), I want the prospect. Why? They won't help us win the division this year, well, maybe they could, but not a guarantee, but they will surely help us in the future a lot more than a Benson, Ponson, or Johnson would and they give us more payroll flexibility.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

From TSN's Inside Dish:

What is with D'Angelo Jimenez? The White Sox raved about his attitude and work ethic during spring training, but soured on him in the first half, designated him for assignment last week and then traded him to the Reds on Sunday. One major-league executive says Jimenez possesses "Alomar-type ability," but is stubborn and doesn't listen to advice. ...
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Just to get my $.02 in for posterity ...

I like the deal, we trade a guy that more than likey won't pan out for a guy that already has usefullness as a multi-position backup at the MLB level, and a probable upside to boot.

Given the Reds track record with pitching the deal looks even better. Maybe SDunn will become something, but I wasn't holding my breath for him to do it in a Cincy uniform.

GL

Castillo's numbers over his first four years.

Year TM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS AVG
    1996 Fla 41 164 26 43 2 1 1 8 14 46 17 4 .320 .305 0.625 .262
    1997 Fla 75 263 27 63 8 0 0 8 27 53 16 10 .310 .270 0.58 .240
    1998 Fla 44 153 21 31 3 2 1 10 22 33 3 0 .307 .268 0.575 .203
    1999 Fla 128 487 76 147 23 4 0 28 67 85 50 17 .384 .366 .303

YEAR TM POS G GS INN TC PO A E DP FPCT ZR
    1996 Fla 2B 41 41 352.0 220 99 118 3 37 .986 .875
    1997 Fla 2B 70 64 575.1 315 129 177 9 44 .971 .851
    1998 Fla 2B 44 43 378.1 237 117 113 7 34 .970 .857
    1999 Fla 2B 126 122 1068.1 615 257 343 15 75 .976 .832

DJ's stats over his first four years.

Year TM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS AVG
    1999 NYY 7 20 3 8 2 0 0 4 3 4 0 0 .478 .500 0.978 .400
    2001 SD 86 308 45 85 19 0 3 33 39 68 2 3 .355 .367 0.722 .276
    2002 SD 87 321 39 77 11 4 3 33 34 63 4 2 .311 .327 0.638 .240
    2002 CWS 27 108 22 31 4 3 1 11 16 10 2 1 .384 .407 0.791 .287
    2002 Total 114 429 61 108 15 7 4 44 50 73 6 3 .330 .347 0.677 .252
    2003 CWS 73 271 35 69 11 5 7 26 32 46 4 3 .332 .410 0.742 .255

YEAR TM POS G GS INN TC PO A E DP FPCT ZR
    1999 NYY 2B 1 0 7.0 2 1 1 0 0 1.000 1.000
    2002 SD 2B 54 52 444.2 282 116 159 7 44 .975 .820
    2002 CWS 2B 17 17 150.0 85 31 53 1 16 .988 .896
    2003 CWS 2B 68 67 586.2 301 119 175 7 41 .977 .813

Pretty comparible, and about $4 million difference in salaries, it sounds like we have the lead-off hitter of the future.

From Baseball America:

Latest Jimenez trade lands him with Reds
    By Jim Callis
    July 6, 2003

It took D'Angelo Jimenez slightly more than two years to wear out his welcome with the Padres, but less than a year to do with the White Sox. Chicago designated him for assignment after trading for Roberto Alomar on July 1, then sent him to the Reds for Double-A righthander Scott Dunn on Sunday.

Jimenez looked like a steal when the Padres acquired him from the Yankees for Jay Witasick in June 2001. He had been one of the game's top shortstop prospects before breaking his neck in January 2000 when his car hit a bus in his native Dominican Republic. After his return, he was blocked by New York's middle infield of Derek Jeter and Alfonso Soriano. The trade to San Diego gave him a chance to blossom, but he didn't make the most of it as he didn't hit much and showed inferior range at shortstop that prompted his move to second base. The Padres traded him to the White Sox last July for nondescript minor leaguers Alex Fernandez and Humberto Quintero.

Jimenez finished strong with Chicago in 2002, batting .287-1-11 in 27 games, but slumped this year and hit .255-7-26 in 73 contests. He batted just .187 in June, prompting the trade for Alomar. He made several baserunning and mental mistakes, which didn't help endear him to the White Sox. The Padres aren't big fans of Jimenez, either. After Jimenez said San Diego's veterans didn't treat him respectfully and that the club lacked leadership, Ryan Klesko fired back by calling Jimenez the laziest player he'd ever seen. A career .263-14-107 hitter with a .341 on-base percentage and .373 slugging percentage in 280 big league games, Jimenez is a switch-hitter with solid plate discipline and good pop for a middle infielder. His physical skills don't play as well as they should on the bases or in the field, however. At 25, Jimenez still has plenty of time to become a dependable big league regular. He'll begin his Reds career as a utility infielder, though he has more offensive upside than Cincinnati's starting second baseman, Ray Olmedo. Jimenez, who makes $345,000 this season, will be eligible for arbitration for the first time after the season.

Dunn, 25, was a 10th-round pick out of the University of Texas in 1999 and threw a perfect game in the low Class A Midwest League in 2000. Though he has good stuff and has averaged more than a strikeout per inning as a pro, he somehow slid down the Reds' depth chart and was moved to the bullpen in 2002. This year, he has gone 3-2, 3.79 with a 54-16 strikeout-walk ratio and a .211 opponent average in 40 innings at Chattanooga. Dunn throws in the low 90s, and also uses a curveball, changeup and occasional knuckler. He'll help replenish the bullpen prospect depth the White Sox gave up for Alomar (lefty Royce Ring, righty Hector Almonte).
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Maybe Jose Guillen can get ahold of this guy and explain to him just how quickly a player can go from hot prospect to out of work.

Originally posted by guernsey
    Maybe Jose Guillen can get ahold of this guy and explain to him just how quickly a player can go from hot prospect to out of work.
    I don't know how much you were kidding, guernsey, but I would guess that Guillen, Larkin, etc would be a great influence on this kid. I'm not sure he's had a role model in San Diego or Chicago to learn from. Sounds like he wasn't too good at making friends in San Diego.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Wow. Another oft-traded bum (Chen, et al). I bet he plays with even greater inspiration in the upbeat surroundings in Cincinnati.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Originally posted by Red Leader
    I don't know how much you were kidding, guernsey, but I would guess that Guillen, Larkin, etc would be a great influence on this kid.
    I was dead serious. When the Reds sent Guillen to L'ville this spring he almost took his ball and went home, until Jose Cardenal, etc. explained to him that if he did, he would stay there. His phone wasn't going to ring. Now he's on the verge of a pretty good contract from some team.

Jimenez needs to hear that he can quickly be back riding minor league buses for the rest of his career if he doesn't start producing.

Here is the e-mail I sent Hal McCoy about D'Angelo Jimenez this morning:

Hal,

Thanks. It looks like someone listened to us. I'm glad to see the Reds acquire Jimenez. In my opinion, Jimenez is the best second base option for the Reds in the second half. He also has position flexibility to allow them to give Boone a day off at 3B and will allow them to rest Larkin in the second half and play Olmedo at SS without losing anything offensively. The best thing about this, in my opinion, is that it puts Castro back on the bench where he is most valuable. Castro should not an everyday player. Thanks again, I don't know how much influence this had on the actual decision to acquire Jimenez, but I'm glad we got him none the less, and like I said, we were able to acquire him cheap and for a "spare part" that wasn't necessarily damaging to the future. Great move by Jim Bowden. Now, hopefully, Jimenez will play up to my expectations when given the opportunity

Just got this e-mail back from Hal McCoy and thought it was pretty funny:

See, I whisper, "Jimenez," in Bowden's ear and sha-zam, here he is. He better not let us down or Bowden won't listen to us again.

Hal
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I heard about this trade a couple of days ago while I was still on vacation and I wanted to read the whole thread before posting my opinion. It basically hasn't changed from my initial impression. I'm not crazy about it. Not necessarily because Jimenez has been cut loose by 3 different organizations but because we gave up a pitcher for a 2nd baseman. I don't know how good of a pitcher Dunn will be. I saw him pitch an inning of relief in April and he looked good to me. If the Reds are going to give up an arm like Dunn's, I'd like to get a decent arm in return.

One other thing about Jimenez. If this rep as a lazy, stubborn, know it all is true, he better change his spots here cause as FeLo well knows, this is definitely not the place to be a loafer in. Not in Pete Rose's hometown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?