Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Trade Scott Dunn for D'Angelo Jimenez

Telephone Sanitizer
    How about this:
    D'Angelo Jimenez was born on 21 December, 1977 and has been in and out of the Majors since 1999.

Scott Dunn was born on 23 May, 1978 and is in AA.

They're five months apart in age. In terms of value, the Reds definitely got the better end of the deal. Jimenez was a top prospect until his car accident four years ago, and from time to time now he still shows signs of becoming a good hitter again. This year he was great in April, mediocre in May, and awful in June. He's someone I'd be willing to take a chance on.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Telephone Sanitizer
    Originally posted by LoganBuck
    Why trade for the guy when he will probably be available as a waiver pickup later this week. Why trade any pitching for another run of the mill middle infielder? WHY?
    There's no way Jimenez would last to the Reds in the waiver order. If the Tigers didn't grab him I'd be quite surprised.

There's no way Jimenez would last to the Reds in the waiver order. If the Tigers didn't grab him I'd be quite surprised.
    My first reaction was the same as LoganBuck, but you're right. Wouldn't have lasted on waivers. Definately a low risk move on the Reds part.

Scott Dunn was putting up some very nice stats:

Dunn, Scott 3- 2 3.79

Innings: 40.1 Hits: 31

K's 54 Walks: 16

His supposed weakness has always been walks, but he's done very well with that this year.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Reds get infielder Jimenez from Sox for minor leaguer

July 6, 2003
    CINCINNATI (AP) -- The Reds tried to strengthen their bench Sunday by acquiring infielder D'Angelo Jimenez from the Chicago White Sox for a minor league pitcher.

Jimenez, 25, was designated for assignment on Wednesday, after the White Sox overhauled their roster by acquiring outfielder Carl Everett and second baseman Roberto Alomar.

The Reds were looking for someone to replace outfielder Wily Mo Pena, who went on the disabled list Saturday with a stained hamstring. Pena was a seldom-used player off the bench, going 3-for-35 with 15 strikeouts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jimenez will be a backup who can play third base, second and shortstop.

``We have some guys on the bench that strike out a lot, and this gives us a choice of a guy who can put the ball in play,'' general manager Jim Bowden said.

The Reds already have Barry Larkin, Juan Castro and Ray Olmedo as middle infielders.

Jimenez hit .255 with seven homers and 26 RBIs with the White Sox. He'll join the team Monday in Houston.

The White Sox got right-hander Scott Dunn, 25, who was 3-2 with eight saves and a 3.79 ERA in 31 relief appearances for Double-A Chattanooga.

Updated on Sunday, Jul 6, 2003 1:36 pm EDT

Scott Dunn in 2003 for Chat. Lookouts

31 games
    40.1 IP
    3-2
    8 Saves
    3.79 ERA
    16 BB
    54 K
    6 WP

6 wild pitches in only 40.1 innings of work?!
    Last edited by CougarQuest; 07-06-2003 at 02:08 PM.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Telephone Sanitizer
    Originally posted by Colorado Red
    The Reds already have Barry Larkin, Juan Castro and Ray Olmedo as middle infielders.
    Larkin: .287/.353/.397
    Castro: .234/.258/.354
    Olmedo: .314/.314/.357

Jimenez: .255/.332/.410

I sincerely hope the Reds don't actually play Castro and Olmedo over Jimenez.

Wonder who the Reds will put in AA?

It would be nice to hear they announce the signing of Marc Cornell
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Hopefully he can fill that viod at the lead off position for the meantime...

Hopefully this works out, but I can't see it doing much. The Reds need a better hitter at 2B than this guy. We already have Castro, who hits .250, and is a great defensive player. Unless this guy can hit over .250, I don't see what's so special.

CQ " Wonder who the Reds will put in AA?" How about Nathan Cotton, Josh Daws (hasn't been at High A very long) or Thomas Pauly??

Pauley would be jumping 2 levels. It's time to send Howington to AA. (and time for Basham to go down, try relief, rest his arm, something)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Dunn failed at starting and has been mediocre from the pen and this a repeat season at Chattanooga. Great stuff but it seems doubtful he will make it over the hump. Without checking his stats, I am guessing he is prone to the longball.

A very good deal. That leaves you with 3 possible middle infielders for next year. He has some plate discipline and a little pop. Good call Red Leader.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    The difference between this guy and the others?????

He has some power and walks. And that's a huge difference.

My guess to move up to fill the spot in the pen would be Culp or Brannon.

Turn Off Ads?