Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Graves signs for three years

Graves signs for three years

per MLB radio.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Cincinnati Reds - Agreed to terms on a three-year contract with a mutual option for 2006 with pitcher Danny Graves.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Reds general manager Jim Bowden today agreed to terms with RHP Danny Graves on a 3-year contract through the 2005 season, plus a mutual option for 2006. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Graves was eligible for salary arbitration and would have been a free agent following the 2003 season.

"Danny is at the core of the good, young group of players we have under control the first few years of Great American Ball Park," Bowden said, "These players are going to provide our fans with an exciting brand of baseball."

Graves, 29, last season for the Reds went 7-3 with a 3.19 ERA and a team-high 32 saves in 68 games. He made his first 64 apps in relief, then finished the season in the rotation and went 1-0 with a 1.89 ERA in 4 starts. Graves is expected to fill a spot in the front of the Reds' starting rotation in 2003.

An All-Star in 2000, Graves has contributed to 117 of the Reds' 229 victories the last 3 seasons (51 percent). His 129 career saves is a club record for a righthander, and his 121 saves the last 4 years is the eighth-highest total in the Major Leagues. In the last 6 seasons, Graves has thrown 469.2 innings in relief, third-highest total in baseball.

Bowden acquired Graves from the Indians on July 31, 1997 as part of a 6-player deal in which LHP John Smiley was sent to Cleveland.

Graves' contract will be finalized following a physical examination by Reds medical director Dr. Timothy Kremchek, scheduled for 11 a.m. on Monday. The Reds formally will announce the signing at a 4:30 p.m. press conference on Monday at the Great American Ball Park administration building. Graves will not be available to the media until that Monday press conference.

Ok, what's going on?

I feel better about the Reds than I have in three years.

Another fine move.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

"So Fla Red"
    This is great news

I like whats going on in Cincinnati!!

I think I'll wait until we find out how much money they gave him before I decide if I like it.

PSR

All dyslexics must untie!
    Yesss!

(I only hope this doesn't suddenly make him "more tradeable")
    Never overlook the obvious

Originally posted by Raisor
    I think I'll wait until we find out how much money they gave him before I decide if I like it.

PSR
    So, lets start a Redszone pool.

I'll take $17M.

I got $18M excluding the option year
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    I'll guess 5.5 in year 1, 6.5 in year 2, and 8 in year 3.

That's 20 mil, but less in NPV.
    Stick to your guns.

I bet it's backloaded like 4.5 million yr 1, 6 million year 2, 8 million yr 3. 18.5 million total. I hope it's incentive based like Scott Williamson. With this contract it gives us another million to play with and then next season we will be rid of Larkin's 9 million and we can afford him if he rocks and then 8 million 3rd year keeps him here long term. I hope it's a bit less on that 3rd year, but probably not. I may be way off.

"I think I'll wait until we find out how much money they gave him before I decide if I like it."

The fact that the Reds chose to give a LTC to a pitcher with a career ERA of 3.40 instead of a 'tweener third baseman leaves me pleased as punch.

Dollars be damned.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Here's the breakdown on Graves' contract.

Reds signed RHP Danny Graves to a three-year, $17.25 million contract with a mutual option for 2006.
    That's a lot of money to give to someone who might be nothing more than an average starter. The contract includes base salaries of $5 million, $6 million and $6.25 million for each of the three years, with escalators that will increase his pay if he is a full-time starter. He also got a limited no-trade clause, and his salary will increase if he is traded during the contract.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Excellent signing. Contract seems pretty fair to me. Danny Graves will be far from an "average" starter. I guarentee Danny will be this team's ace.

Turn Off Ads?