Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Graves signs for three years

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Originally posted by CougarQuest
    I was very surprised that it was $5M for the first year.
    As you can see here, his "arbitration value" is close to six million for 2003 (you can thank the contract to Billy Wagner and others for that). So there would have been no reason for Graves to agree to a LTC, unless the average was close to 6 mil/year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ne..._mlb&fext=.jsp
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Graves

Great move to sign Danny to a LTC. Graves' stuff will be more effective as a starter than a reliever (3 pitches/ varied speed/ no overpowering fastball). I'm expecting a big year from him as a legitimate #1 or #2 starter.

I like the signing. In view of the market, I think it was a fair deal. I think Graves will be a good starter, and I think he is a good guy to boot. (I met him in Florida a couple of years ago, and he comes across as a regular guy) It also is a good sign about the organization to guys like Dunn and Kearns. I'm very hopeful about this season. If the guys stay healthy, I think they are going to be very competitive and might surprise. Again, a good signing, and a very positive one for the ballclub.

You can't have it both ways: you can't say, "we'll never compete because we don't dedicate ourselves to pitching" and then turn around and complain that this deal wasn't perfect. Unless your payroll exceeds 100 million, perfect deals don't fall into your lap; you make them happen. High risk; high reward.

Would you rather stick with low risk, low reward?

The optimal thing would be to produce a Roy Oswalt from your farm every year. The signing of a guy with the talent of Graves to a LTC is, IMO, the second most optimal thing.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

good move...still doesn't improves the team. But a good move nonetheless.
    It was strange...I looked to my left and I saw Dick Wagner...I looked to my right and I saw John Allen....Then all of a sudden, I was unable to distingush them from each other.

More details on Danny's contract from Tony Jackson.

Graves deal includes limited no-trade clause
    By Tony Jackson
    Post staff reporter

The Reds called a news conference Monday to announce the signing of Danny Graves, an announcement that considering it had been made Friday without a news conference was about as fresh as whatever is under that mysterious foil wrapper in your refrigerator.
    While not part of the announcement, some details of the contract have surfaced beyond the widely reported salaries of $5 million in 2003, $6 million in 2004 and $6.25 million in 2005. The deal contains a limited no-trade clause in which Graves can "blacklist" up to four teams to which he doesn't want to be traded. If he is traded, an escalator clause would add $500,000 to his salary that year and any subsequent years remaining on the contract.

Another escalator clause based on innings pitched would apply anywhere from $100,000 to $400,000, in $100,000 increments, to the buyout of the contract's mutual option for 2006. Graves was in his final winter of arbitration eligibility and could have become a free agent after the 2003 season if he hadn't signed the three-year, $17.25 million deal.

In fact, he had no interest in becoming anything of the kind, which clearly had something to do with the fact this winter's free-agent market is the softest in years.

"There were so many factors that went into our thought process, and that would be one of them," said Alan Nero, one of Graves' agents. "There was also the idea that he is becoming a starting pitcher, and there is some risk involved in that as well. It just got to the point where this made so much sense for everyone. Danny has been very clear from the get-go that he wants to stay in Cincinnati. When your client has those feelings, you ought to get something done."

Graves is a virtual lock for the rotation, where he will join Paul Wilson, Jimmy Haynes, Ryan Dempster and whoever emerges from a spring training free-for-all for the fifth spot.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Wow.. I guess I was wrong about Graves wanting to leave.

Great move by the Reds. Although I have to agree with gm.. let's hope this means that Graves hangs around awhile.

Good move by the Reds.

Thought I'd bring this gem up to the front again...he's starting to make that signing REAL good

Personally, I like this move....for most of the reasons stated above.

Rem

This move took a lot of guts. Not sure I would have done it if I was them. But Graves is showing signs of making it look like pure genius.

He could be a real bargain by the end of this deal.

Originally posted by buckeyenut
    This move took a lot of guts. Not sure I would have done it if I was them. But Graves is showing signs of making it look like pure genius.

He could be a real bargain by the end of this deal.
    He sure is making a ton of believers nowadays.

Danny!

I have read so many negative things about the Reds payroll (some posted by me) lately that I thought I would look back at this post and refresh some people's minds about what many of us wrote. Man it sure is surprising to see what bad GMs we all are. Nearly all of the posts are positive about this signing while today you can't find one this is positive. He can still go into the bullpen and be a fairly inexpensive closer compared to many of them out there.... No I don't like the signing now either. Sure is funny what a difference a year makes.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Cruisin' for trouble
    I STILL think that Graves has the stuff to be an effective starter. Problem is, I don't think Danny believes it. His half-hearted attempt at developing a windup is evidence. Reminds me of the kid in Bad News Bears II (okay, yeah, I saw it) who couldn't figure out who he wanted to emulate.

Originally posted by paulrichjr
    ISure is funny what a difference a year makes.
    Hindsight is always 20/20. Look how many folks who liked the Jr. trade want him out of town now. And all the folks who pleaded and begged Lindner not to trade Larkin were so pissed he was making that kind of money and hardly ever playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Originally posted by Red Leader
    Here's the breakdown on Graves' contract.

Reds signed RHP Danny Graves to a three-year, $17.25 million contract with a mutual option for 2006.
    That's a lot of money to give to someone who might be nothing more than an average starter. The contract includes base salaries of $5 million, $6 million and $6.25 million for each of the three years, with escalators that will increase his pay if he is a full-time starter. He also got a limited no-trade clause, and his salary will increase if he is traded during the contract.
    I still stick with what I said back then, "That's a lot of money to give to someone who might be nothing more than an average starter."
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?