Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stinnett traded...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Originally posted by Snapper
    The PTBNL is an OF.
    Oh boy, 1/4 million for an OF. It better be Pat Burrell.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Eric Valent - ML stats

Code:
    BREAKDOWN G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS 
    CAREER    29 51 4 6 2 0 0 1 4 14 0 0 .118 .196 .157 .353

Originally posted by CougarQuest
    WLW reported that he was the Phillies number 1 outfield prospect.
    On Sunday nights (with Bill Boshears) WLW reports that contrails are the govt's way of poisoning us.

Since I don't live in the area I don't know if I can gauge this correctly, but I get the feeling that Bowa doesn't really like Duckworth. I know he had an injury earlier in the season (tendonitis?). Duckworth is almost 28, isn't he?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

For one month of Kelly Stinnett, I'd be estatic to get Duckworth. I'd also be very surprised. I figured we were getting some A ball player.

The Philly Enqiurer must have a scoop. I can't find any other publication that says the Reds gave up cash along with Stinnett. I'm surprised that they didn't have who the PTBNL is. That actually makes me think we might get a good prospect if we're giving up cash also.

Hey, I can be optimistic about the PTBNL if I want to

From Tony Jackson, Cincinnati Post

While the identity remains unknown of the player to be named the Reds are getting in the Stinnett trade, it probably won't be anyone who is close to being ready for the major leagues, or even a top-level prospect. The Philadelphia Phillies wanted Stinnett badly, but he still is a backup catcher making $1.3 million this season, with a buyout of $250,000 on his $750,000 mutual option for next year. After trading him, the Reds have no one left on their roster with a buyout clause for next season, which should create a little more payroll flexibility.

From the Dayton Daily News

The Reds gave more than back-up catcher Kelly Stinnett to the Philadelphia Phillies for a player to be named later. The club didn't announce it, but the Reds sent the Phillies $250,000, the amount the Phillies need to buy out Stinnett's contract after the season.

The Phillies are paying the last month of Stinnett's $1.3 million salary for this year. Stinnett and the Reds had a mutual option for 2004 at $750,000, with the team owning Stinnett's contract able to buy out next year's portion at $250,000 — the money the Reds sent to Philadelphia with Stinnett and his catcher's gear.

Now the Reds will get a player for their $250,000, rather than hand the cash to Stinnett and get nothing in return.

WLW reported that he was the Phillies number 1 outfield prospect.

They also said he was 26 years old.

Is this the original WMP?

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Cincinnati Reds acquired outfielder Eric Valent from the Phillies on Tuesday to complete a trade that sent catcher Kelly Stinnett to Philadelphia on Sunday.

Valent hit .218 with 12 homers and 51 RBIs in 134 games for Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre. He was the Phillies' supplemental pick in the first round (42nd overall) of the 1998 amateur draft as compensation for Philadelphia losing J.D. Drew, who wouldn't sign with the team after being selected No. 2 overall in 1997.

Valent appeared in 22 games for the Phillies in 2001 and seven games in 2002, batting .118 (6-for-51).

To make room for Valent on the their 40-man roster, the Reds moved third baseman Brandon Larson to the 60-day disabled list. Larson had season-ending surgery on his left shoulder on Tuesday morning.

Valent obtained: Outfielder Eric Valent joined the Reds as the player to be named in the completion of Sunday's trade that sent catcher Kelly Stinnett to Philadelphia.

Valent, 26, hit .218 with 12 homers and 51 RBIs in 134 games with the Phillies' Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre affiliate. He was expected to join the Reds during Tuesday's game and will wear No. 68.

Valent's claim to fame was breaking Troy Glaus' home-run record at UCLA. Philadelphia then selected him in the supplemental portion of the first round (42nd overall) of the 1998 First-Year Player Draft. Before this season, Baseball America ranked Valent as the Phillies' best defensive outfielder and rated him as having the organization's top outfield arm.

To accommodate Valent on the 40-man roster, the Reds transferred third baseman Brandon Larson from the 15- to the 60-day disabled list. Larson underwent season-ending surgery on his left shoulder Tuesday.

From the Cincinnati Post
    Valent, 26, and Reds infielder Ryan Freel were teammates as high schoolers on the 1994 U.S. Junior Olympic team.

"We talk all the time whenever we're playing each other," Freel said. "He's a great player. He swings from the left side, and he's got a little bit of pop. He can play anywhere in the outfield."

Cruisin' for trouble
    Valent, Eric >> Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons (AAA)

Code:
    AVG G AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB SO SB CS 
    .218 134 450 62 98 51 27 2 12 60 102 0 0

Phillie is stacked with minor league pitching. My only hope is that the cash we are adding to the deal is getting us someone of the level of Belisle or so out of this thing. (Madsen, Madsen, Madsen maybe subliminal messaging will work )

If Stinnett is valuable to someone, then maybe, just maybe Castro is too. With any luck, he or Wilson might still go, pending injury.

I'm a little surprised STL or HOU haven't come inquiring about Wilson with the way he has been pitching lately and the status of their pens.

Turn Off Ads?