Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Stinnett traded...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Is this the original WMP?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Looks like potential competition with Dernell Stenson and Reggie Taylor for the role of left-handed bat on the bench.

Taylor will not be back on this team next season. Bank on it.

He will be competing with Stenson and Mateo for the role formerly played by Juan Encarnacion and Jose Guillen entitled "fourth OFer who thinks he's a superstar and who the media thinks we should deal Jr because he started out hot."

Originally posted by buckeyenut
    He will be competing with Stenson and Mateo for the role formerly played by Juan Encarnacion and Jose Guillen entitled "fourth OFer who thinks he's a superstar and who the media thinks we should deal Jr because he started out hot."
    What makes you think Stenson or Mateo is ahead of Pena or Smitherman on the OF depth chart. My guess is neither makes the team next season. Griffey, Kearns, Dunn, Pena, Smitherman, and Taylor is my OF guess.

All dyslexics must untie!
    Valent kinda reminds me of Mike Frank, but with better OB stats
    Never overlook the obvious

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Cincinnati Reds acquired outfielder Eric Valent from the Phillies on Tuesday to complete a trade that sent catcher Kelly Stinnett to Philadelphia on Sunday.

Valent hit .218 with 12 homers and 51 RBIs in 134 games for Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre. He was the Phillies' supplemental pick in the first round (42nd overall) of the 1998 amateur draft as compensation for Philadelphia losing J.D. Drew, who wouldn't sign with the team after being selected No. 2 overall in 1997.

Valent appeared in 22 games for the Phillies in 2001 and seven games in 2002, batting .118 (6-for-51).

To make room for Valent on the their 40-man roster, the Reds moved third baseman Brandon Larson to the 60-day disabled list. Larson had season-ending surgery on his left shoulder on Tuesday morning.

Valent obtained: Outfielder Eric Valent joined the Reds as the player to be named in the completion of Sunday's trade that sent catcher Kelly Stinnett to Philadelphia.

Valent, 26, hit .218 with 12 homers and 51 RBIs in 134 games with the Phillies' Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre affiliate. He was expected to join the Reds during Tuesday's game and will wear No. 68.

Valent's claim to fame was breaking Troy Glaus' home-run record at UCLA. Philadelphia then selected him in the supplemental portion of the first round (42nd overall) of the 1998 First-Year Player Draft. Before this season, Baseball America ranked Valent as the Phillies' best defensive outfielder and rated him as having the organization's top outfield arm.

To accommodate Valent on the 40-man roster, the Reds transferred third baseman Brandon Larson from the 15- to the 60-day disabled list. Larson underwent season-ending surgery on his left shoulder Tuesday.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar
    Originally posted by gm
    Valent kinda reminds me of Mike Frank,
    but with better OB stats
    Reminds me of a LH hitting Brandon Larson.

Originally posted by SYCMiniBus
    What makes you think Stenson or Mateo is ahead of Pena or Smitherman on the OF depth chart. My guess is neither makes the team next season. Griffey, Kearns, Dunn, Pena, Smitherman, and Taylor is my OF guess.
    I don't. But Smitherman and Pena are prospects. They don't fit the Guillen/Encarnacion mold that Valent does potentially, a failed prospect elsewhere who comes in and tears it up for us. That's all

Danny should really want to throw up with this trade!

This guy can't hit AAA pitching why would they think he could hit major league pitching.

I would have rathered they took a chance on a guy in A ball. This trade makes me want to throw up. Waisting a spot on the 40 man roster also.

Bad move by the front office. Better off not resigning Stinnett after the season, I can't see them saving that much money since they sent 250,000 to Phily.

Valent is irrelevant. This was simply to get rid of some of Stinnett's salary. Valent will give the Reds a warm body for Louisville next year, that's all.

From the Cincinnati Post
    Valent, 26, and Reds infielder Ryan Freel were teammates as high schoolers on the 1994 U.S. Junior Olympic team.

"We talk all the time whenever we're playing each other," Freel said. "He's a great player. He swings from the left side, and he's got a little bit of pop. He can play anywhere in the outfield."

Turn Off Ads?