Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stinnett traded...

The Philly Enqiurer must have a scoop. I can't find any other publication that says the Reds gave up cash along with Stinnett. I'm surprised that they didn't have who the PTBNL is. That actually makes me think we might get a good prospect if we're giving up cash also.

Hey, I can be optimistic about the PTBNL if I want to
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Where did Duckworth's name come up? Is this an actual posibility or just a name someone on here threw out? I would be extatic to land Duckworth for Stinnett, but I just don't see that happening.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I think Duckworth is wishful thinking.
    It will probably be some low A-ball guy who will never see the majors.
    Go Gators!

Originally posted by redsfan30
    Where did Duckworth's name come up? Is this an actual posibility or just a name someone on here threw out? I would be extatic to land Duckworth for Stinnett, but I just don't see that happening.
    It was mentioned in the original article that the Phillies are sending Duckworth down to Triple A to make room for Stinnett, and somebody jokingly (I think) mentioned that the Phillies could trade Duckworth for Stinnett. Somebody else then mentioned that they wouldn't trade Stinnett for Duckworth.

I can't imagine that anybody seriously thinks that Stinnett could net Duckworth.
    Last edited by MattyHo4Life; 09-01-2003 at 02:29 PM.

Originally posted by MattyMo4Life
    It was mentioned in the original article that the Phillies are sending Duckworth down to Triple A to make room for Stinnett, and somebody jokingly (I think) mentioned that the Phillies could trade Duckworth for Stinnett. Somebody else thn mentioned that they wouldn't trade Stinnett for Duckworth.

I can't imagine that anybody seriously thinks that Stinnett could net Duckworth.
    Kevin is pushing 320 these days, but he may be attainable.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by red-in-la
    What I wonder is, how long before the rest of the league cries "foul!"

You trade one of the few ML experienced players on your team for no apparent gain, and you don't call up your AAA catcher because his team is in the AAA playoffs?

Where is the integrity of the game here?

If we can get anything for Stinnet (even if the Phillies only assume $1.00 of salary) is a good deal.

Stinnet was not going to back with the Reds next year. We need to look at his alternatives.

A great, great trade, and that without knowing who they got.

The Reds are probably trying to maintain some type of decent relationship with the AAA club and it's fans. My understanding is that Corky will come back up when Louisville is done with the playoffs. If the Reds were actually in contention, Corky would probably be here.

Now that Scott Williamson and his 57 1/2 ft forkballs are out of town, Stinnett is no longer needed. Kelly is a helluva pitch blocker and better at that particular skill than LaRue.

But the thinking nowadays is....

There is always somebody who can do a job cheaper. Forget about the skills, forget about the experience, just get cheaper!!!

The Reds FO continues to reaffirm my belief that at least 12 players on the 2004 Opening Day roster will be making $500,000 or less. That kind of talent will translate into at least 90 losses next year.

If they cant make it on 2.4 mill attendance this year, what will they do with less than 2.0 million in attendance next yr??

I'm wondering why I keep hearing (John Fay and Chris Welsh today, Kevin Kelly yesterday) and reading that Corky Miller is likely to be Stinnett's replacement as backup catcher in 2004. With all due respect to Jason LaRue, Johnny Bench he ain't. I should think that Miller and possibly others would go to ST competing for the starting job. LaRue has a great arm and has improved some previous defensive liabilities but coming in today at .229 I'm not ready to hand the keys to the catcher's box over to him just yet. Maybe woy or Raisor can supply some "catcher's ERA" or "OBPSP (?)" or other conclusive stats to bring me around.

Larue is eligible for arbitration right? With the current extreme cost-cutting taking place, I am not sure that Larue is even safe. particularly if Sardinha shows he can put the bat on the ball occasionally at the major league level.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by Bill
    Larue is eligible for arbitration right? With the current extreme cost-cutting taking place, I am not sure that Larue is even safe. particularly if Sardinha shows he can put the bat on the ball occasionally at the major league level.
    I don't really think that the moves being made are for cost-cutting. Trading FA's to be is smart baseball, saving money is always a good idea when you are out of contention. Larue won't be traded to save money.

Phillie is stacked with minor league pitching. My only hope is that the cash we are adding to the deal is getting us someone of the level of Belisle or so out of this thing. (Madsen, Madsen, Madsen maybe subliminal messaging will work )

If Stinnett is valuable to someone, then maybe, just maybe Castro is too. With any luck, he or Wilson might still go, pending injury.

I'm a little surprised STL or HOU haven't come inquiring about Wilson with the way he has been pitching lately and the status of their pens.

LaRue is an above average major league catcher making below average money even after arb. He is not the type of guy you deal to save money.

To be honest, I can't say I have a problem with a single move they have made since Bowden left. Only possible exception would be the Williamson deal and that only because I thought he might get slightly more in return.

They dealt their best pitcher because he was about to get a raise. Larue is not due what Williamson would have netted but I see them viewing a secondary FA market filled with cheap alternatives. They are "rebuilding" and won't win next year anyway. I could definitely see them trading him if htey get back some cheap young talent. It is not like they have not tried in the past.

They are "rebuilding" and won't win next year anyway.
    I'm not convinced that the Reds won't be in better shape this offseason than they were last. IMO, if the reds commit next year to the same payroll as this year and make good acquisitions in the offseason, they'll be much better than they were this year.

This is why...

Boone, much as I like him, can be replaced and most everyone else traded were middle relievers (even williamson), and middle relievers, even as good as ours were, can be replaced. Good teams are not built around high priced middle relievers. Especially small to mid market teams such as the Reds. It became obvious that the Reds were not going to win this year and cost escalation made it inevitable that some guys were going to have to go. I think the the Reds have made the right choices about who had to go, whether they made the right choices concerning what they got in return is a question yet to be answered. Still, I think they're in ok shape. TJMO

Turn Off Ads?