Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean Casey rumored in 3 way trade discussion

Sean Casey rumored in 3 way trade discussion

Apparently, those fantasy GM's here on Redszone aren't crazy. The Pirates are rumored to be very interested in Sean Casey. What I hear is that a 3 way deal has been discussed that would send Sean Casey to Pittsburgh, Jason Kendall would be going to San Diego and Kevin Jarvis would be on his way back to Cincinnati.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    i can't see that happening. first if the padres had the money they would have had kendall when they got giles. second our gm would be lynched if we gave up casey for jarvis. i would like to trade casey though.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

There must be some prospect(s) thrown in with Jarvis if that's true. Jarvis is a tough athlete and a leader, which might be a good thing on a young staff.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

The source of the rumor is?

(I'd do the deal in a hot minute if it was being offered. Jarvis costs $4.25 million in 2004 and had a $500 K buyout of a $5.25 million team option in 2005. The Reds should ask for Dennis Tankersley in addition.)
    Last edited by M2; 11-17-2003 at 02:40 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Originally posted by M2
    The source of the rumor is?

I have a few friends with inside contacts. 2 of them told me that this has been discussed.
    Last edited by savafan; 11-17-2003 at 03:17 AM.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The Reds would have a tough time justifying trading the Mayor for a journeyman pitcher.

Now, if it netted a deal similar to the Boone deal, I don't think fans would be that upset.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Jarvis????????

why isnt Benson in this rumoured deal??????/

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar
    This only makes sense from a Reds point of view IF the difference in Casey and Jarvis's salaries enable us to free up some substantial $$$ AND IF we net a prospect who is a pitcher, third baseman, or leadoff hitter.

So, Jax, or somebody, tell us what Jarvis's salary is...

---'Roser

Originally posted by RedRoser
    So, Jax, or somebody, tell us what Jarvis's salary is...

---'Roser

From earlier in the thread:

Originally posted by M2
    (I'd do the deal in a hot minute if it was being offered. Jarvis costs $4.25 million in 2004 and had a $500 K buyout of a $5.25 million team option in 2005.

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar
    Oops! You'll have to forgive me, it's early, I'm getting old and my eyesight's starting to go. . .

So we wouldn't save much $$$ this season if we were to make the deal, but would save later on, right?

It'd have to be an awfully good prospect or second player for me to rationalize this deal.

---'Roser

Originally posted by RedRoser

So we wouldn't save much $$$ this season if we were to make the deal, but would save later on, right?

Savings for 2004: 2.55 million

Savings for 2004+2005: (assuming 500K buyout) 9.85 million.

"why isnt Benson in this rumoured deal??????/"

Because if this deal is being proposed, it's one bad contract being dumped per team.

For Pittsburgh, it's much more important to dump Kendall than Benson.

This would free up 2.55 million this year, and 6.3 million next. It would save us 8.5 million in 2006 if we didn't have the fortitude to limit Casey's at bats to less than 1500 in 3 years. (a pace he's already over)

So I'd do it.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 11-17-2003 at 09:24 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

The money would be "freed up" to line the owners' pockets -- I don't believe it would be invested in the team.

Still, I wouldn't mind that deal. It would allow Dunn (or Griffey) to move to 1B and Smitherman to make the big league club.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

You do this deal RIGHT NOW for two reasons.

1. You find ANYONE silly enough to take Casey's contract and you do it.

2. There is a six lane highway being built right through the Reds outfield and it is called WMP. If you believe JR is going to suddenly play again, you MUST make a place to move Dunn so that WMP can play everyday.

Agreed. Wily Mo and Smitherman both need time on the big club next year.

To make that deal work, I'm asking for two of Xavier Nady, Cory Stewart, Dennis Tankersley, Ryan Doumit, or Bobby Bradley from PIT and SD.

Turn Off Ads?