Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 9/22 - Larkin News Conference at 7 PM

If you look at it, its been one slap in the face after another.

Reds announce Larkin wont be back(per Cincy post), then Larkin and his agent say it wasnt true in the DDN and Barry would talk to Linder. Then Allen calls a news conference and announces Larkin will not be resigned.

Id say that the bridges have been burned, and unless Allen is fired, you wont see Barry back in a Reds uniform, period.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired
    As much as I hate John Allen, it's not his fault Barry is asking for yet another inflated contract.

If he can do better with another team, good luck Barry. We simply can't afford to pay him $2-3 million dollars to sit on the DL for another 100 games.

Allen is the proverbial "hatchet man" who does the dirty work for the organization. Obviously some publicist decided this was the way to handle it. I wonder if Larkin was invited to the press conference to jointly announce that he and the Reds are parting ways.

I am happy the Reds will not bring Larkin back. The time has come to turn the page. I think Larkin is highly unsuitable as a utility man since he only plays one position and is injured so much. And from a financial viewpoint, the Reds would have been quite foolish to once again overspend on Larkin.

I think Larkin may be surprised by the lack of interest in him in the off season. Most teams are belt tightening right now and won't offer much for a 40 year old, injury prone, one position utility man. Retire, Barry.

Would you feel the same way if Barry agreed to move to third base in 2004?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Originally posted by savafan
    Would you feel the same way if Barry agreed to move to third base in 2004?
    Which would give the Reds an infield of Casey, Jimenez, Castro, and Larkin.

GAH!

Retired
    Moving to 3rd base does not make up for the fact he's a walking injury and is nearly 40. No, it would not have changed my mind. So long Barry.

Larkin was one of the most underpaid players in the league until he signed this last contract with the Reds.

Since then, he has been probably the most overpaid player. Even Griffey has done more for the dolllar.

Larkin should take the offer if he wants to leave a mark in baseball. Actually, I think he will hurt his chances of the HOF (as small as they are) by playing for another team.

The one thing he has going for him that may always stand is that he could be the LAST player to play his entire career (of any significant length) with one team. He will smear his career by playing elsewhere, period. The only exception is if he (by a very long chance) hooks up with the 2004 World Series Champs... and actually contributes.

Also, he doesn't sell tickets anymore, he sells very few jerseys with Griffey still strong in that area and Kearns and Dunn jerseys going like crazy

He needs the Reds much more than they need him at this point. He needs to figure that out. I am very disappointed in him and his agent when it comes to this decision. I am very pleased with the Reds good will gesture to offer him a contract even though they have several players waiting in the wings just as he was 18-19 years ago. The Reds traded Stillwell to make room and show their committment to him... and they are still showing a committment.

Originally posted by RedSchmo2

The one thing he has going for him that may always stand is that he could be the LAST player to play his entire career (of any significant length) with one team. .
    1986-Barry Larkin
    1987-Edgar Martinez
    1988-Craig Biggio, John Smoltz
    1990-Frank Thomas
    1991-Jeff Bagwell

All these guys have played in the majors for one team.

Originally posted by Raisor
    1986-Barry Larkin
    1987-Edgar Martinez
    1988-Craig Biggio, John Smoltz
    1990-Frank Thomas
    1991-Jeff Bagwell

All these guys have played in the majors for one team.
    Oh YEAH???

Well...Barry Larkin might just be the last Michigan Alumni in the NL who doesn't pitch or play first base or wasn't once a catcher to play his entire Major and Minor League career with one team.

I think that about covers it, smarty!!

Unless, of course, he plays somewhere else next year...then forget I said anything...

Retired
    On Fox 19 they just played a blub from Larkin saying the contract was for $500K, but the incentives would have doubled it. So, in theory, it could have been for $1 million next year. He turned that down? I think Barry is going to have a major reality check on the free agent market.

This was so, so very predictable.

Despite the constant claims that Larkin is a "class act", it was predictable that he'd go out a la Ozzie Smith in St. Louis--kicking and screaming every step of the way.

The writing's been on the wall for a good long while now, but Larkin doesn't want to read it.

We should've let him walk 3 years ago. It would've been a reality check for him as to his value or lack thereof.

I feel much better about the direction of the Reds.

I can't believe people are saying that the Reds are without class. In this case, Barry Larkin is, for asking for too much money. He was injured and barley helped the team out the last 2 years. If he really liked Cincinnati like he says, and is really a good person, I really think he would accept what he is given, not try to get more money and finish his career in a different city. Pathetic, Barry, just pathetic.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

I think the Reds went above and beyond the call of duty in actually offering Barry a $500K deal. As I've said before I think they were trying to get Barry to take the hint and retire gracefully. Unfortunately for the Reds, and for Barry, he wouldn't retire. IMO, if Barry hooks up with another team, this could hurt his HOF chances. It shouldn't but sportswriters are funny like that and place a lot of value in stuff like playing for one team in a career.

It'll be tough next season not having Barry on the roster. He's my favorite player and I surely will miss him. I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up and I hope he comes back with the Reds in some capacity.

But I don't think there is going to be a lot of interest in a 40 year old SS who can't stay healthy for any length of time who is wanting a million or two in salary. 3-4 years ago there may have been but teams are starting to get smart and they are spending their money more wisely.

It may have been nice to have Barry around in a coaching capacity and mentor the younger players but there comes a time where the younger players have to become leaders themselves. They cannot always rely on a crutch of a veteran leader. They have to take charge themselves. Barry did it. Sometimes, out of adversity, leaders emerge. Perhaps not having Barry around will encourage Jr. to take more of a leadership role on the ball club. All of a sudden he's the oldest player on the team. It's not a bad thing if he chooses not to. Some are leaders and some are not. If he can stay healthy and be content being a follower, more power to him. But no more can he look elsewhere for veteran leadership.

I love Barry but when you dislocate your finger just swinging a bat, I think the Man above is trying to send you a signal to retire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Good move by the Reds to offer Barry a more-than-fair contract.

Good move by Allen not to leave it to be one of the first acts of the next GM.

The Reds have paid Barry over $70 million dollars during his playing career. They owe him nothing more than to give him a day and to retire his number.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Retired
    Associated Press
    CINCINNATI -- The Reds are cutting ties with their team captain.

Shortstop Barry Larkin rejected a one-year contract offer on Monday, leaving one of Cincinnati's most revered players to finish his career somewhere else.

Larkin, 39, has spent all 18 major league seasons with his hometown team, and hoped to return as a backup infielder next year before retiring and moving into another role with the Reds.

His 18 seasons with Cincinnati are the most that any current major leaguer has spent with one team.

"It's tough to say goodbye to Barry Larkin," chief operating officer John Allen said. "It's really hard. He's meant a lot to this organization."

Their inability to reach a deal was the latest disappointment in one of the franchise's worst seasons. The Reds moved into Great American Ball Park aiming for the playoffs, but are finishing the season fighting to stay out of last place.

Larkin's $27 million, three-year contract ends after this season. The Reds offered a one-year deal with a $500,000 base salary, plus incentives that could have doubled his pay. Larkin turned it down, and owner Carl Lindner declined to increase the amount after talking with the shortstop by phone on Monday.

"I don't know how you describe a contract like that to a player like Barry, but it's extremely disappointing," agent Eric Goldschmidt said. "All Barry was looking for was something respectable and fair."

Larkin didn't attend a news conference Monday night. Allen said the club won't improve the offer to Larkin, who grew up in Cincinnati and was the Reds' first-round pick in the 1985 amateur draft.

"Barry Larkin for many years was the heart and soul of this team," Allen said.

Larkin helped the Reds win a World Series in 1990, earned NL Most Valuable Player honors in 1995 and was a steadying influence in the clubhouse during former owner Marge Schott's suspensions in the 1990s.

Former general manager Jim Bowden said repeatedly that he wanted Larkin to spend his entire career with the Reds, but tried to trade him to the New York Mets in 2000 for prospects.

Larkin blocked the proposed trade, and Lindner was so moved by the reception that Larkin got from fans that he approved a $27 million, three-year extension.

Bowden and manager Bob Boone were fired in July, when the club started a series of payroll-slashing trades that dealt away top players. With no general manager to make decisions, Larkin's fate became an issue as the season wound down.

Larkin has been limited by injuries for the past three years, and acknowledged that he can no longer be an everyday player. He was willing to take less to stay in Cincinnati, but found the Reds' offer unacceptable.

"When you play this many years on one team _ your hometown team _ and you only want to play one more year and you're flexible on a contract and your expectations are not that high, you'd think something could be done," Goldschmidt said.

Goldschmidt said Larkin will try to play one more season for another club. Although Allen said Larkin would still be welcome to join the Reds in another capacity when he retires, Goldschmidt doesn't consider that an option now.

"If this is the way John Allen feels about Barry Larkin, why would Barry Larkin want to work for John Allen?" Goldschmidt said.
    I highlighted some of the important parts. The article is from ESPN. So, Larkin turned down a contract that could have been worth $1 million for next year. It appears the bridge has indeed been burned with Larkin/Allen. As much as I dislike Allen, Larkin was offered a fair contract, more than fair acutally. Looks like Barry wants another fat payday. His idea of a "respectable and fair" contract needs some adjusting. He was offered a more than fair contract, and turned it down. Don't start whining now Barry. :thumbdn:
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 09-22-2003 at 10:27 PM.

Turn Off Ads?