Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roberto Petagine

Roberto Petagine

Why don't the Reds dump Casey and his awful contract too and resign Roberto petagine from the Japanese Leagues. He has torn it up since he went there.

Some players just mature later in their careers and it looks like Petagine's stats rival anyone who ever has come from Japan to the big leagues and played well.

Heck, the Reds would be better if they brought back Petagine to play first; Pokey Reese to play shortstop and let Olmedo play second and D-Angelo play third. I am not a Reese fan, but the club looks better with him in there.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They can't just dump Casey, BECAUSE of that bad contract.

And as far as the two names you listed, there will be better options this offseason.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

what are his numbers?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Originally posted by Ravenlord
    what are his numbers?
    couldn't find them. but did find this about last year.

Even before he took the lead in the Central League home run race, the Japanese media noticed something unusual about Petagine, and they dubbed it "Love Power." It seems -- according to Nikkan Sports and other Japanese sports papers -- that Petagine hits best when his wife is sitting behind the Swallows' dugout. Whatever the reason, Petagine led the CL with 44 home runs and 116 base on balls while also batting .325 with 112 RBIs. At the beginning of the season, Petagine took his time to learn the pitchers and get adjusted to their style. As the season continued, his batting average continued to rise at the same pace as his home runs. Petagine also stole 10 bases in 11 attempts, and he only missed one game of the season, to attend a diplomatic function in his honor.

Originally posted by Ravenlord
    what are his numbers?
    I haven't been able to find his 2003 Japanese numbers, but before that (2308 Japanese plate apperances) he had a 451 OBP and a 639 SLG

The problem with Petagine is that there is no way the Reds would be able to beat his Japanese contract. He's, IIRC, is currently the highest paid player in Japan, something like 11-mil a year.

Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Petagine really wanted to come back to North America this winter. He was asking for a $3 million one year contract this off-season from a major league team, before his Japanese team jumped in with a 2-year $12 million deal. So he won't come back to the U.S. until at least the 2005 season. By then he'll be 34 or 35, I think.

It really would have been interesting to see him get another chance in the U.S, while he was in the prime of his career. I don't think his MLB teams were patient enough with him.

Major league equivalencies suggest that he would have hit at least as well as Hideki Matsui in the U.S. and probably much better.
    Stick to your guns.

Obviously, this thread is a Richard Hand 'plant'.

Rem

You know, I'm happy for Pentagine.
    He never realized his dream here, but at least he's a star over there.
    I'm not claiming he got screwed or anything while he was here, but it's nice that his story has a happy ending.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Originally posted by remdog
    Obviously, this thread is a Richard Hand 'plant'.

Rem
    More like Drew Nelson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Nice to see your still on the Petagine bandwagon Neil.

I always like getting updates on the guy who was going to be "the next George Foster".

All dyslexics must untie!
    Roberto Petagine is a really tired take from the listserv, a chat forum for "select" Red's fans holding certain strong opinions. Now that Pokey, BaBoone and Bowden have been "shown the door" my guess is Casey has become their latest whipping boy.

The more thngs change...they've gotta be happy with Miley as Mgr, right? Or has Dave somehow pissed them off and become IM04, already?
    Never overlook the obvious

Originally posted by gm
    Roberto Petagine is a really tired take from the listserv, a chat forum for "select" Red's fans holding certain strong opinions. Now that Pokey, BaBoone and Bowden have been "shown the door" my guess is Casey has become their latest whipping boy.

by the way, anyone can join the listserv, it's not "select."

Originally posted by wheels
    They can't just dump Casey, BECAUSE of that bad contract.

And as far as the two names you listed, there will be better options this offseason.
    I had read the same thing -- that Petagine wanted to come bck to the US and wanted something around $3 mill to do it.

I am not Richard Hand, Drew Nelson or -- last time I checked -- Neil Young. But I do think Roberto Petagine would be a better option that Sean Casey. For the cost of Petagine the Reds could acquire Petagine and offer to soak up part of Casey's contract in a deal. They need to be thinking about these kinds of things moving forward.

Pokey Reese is not going to change the Reds world -- but he too would be a stop gap that would be better than any option they currently have.

I got sick of Pokey at leadoff and his inflated opinion of himself -- but his OBP is looking good now compared to the guys the Reds have tried there -- AND from the sounds of thingsd, the Reds have some first year guys who are acting like they are MLB veterans out there -- attitude-wise. Nothing could be farther from accurate.

The defense sucks. they are making rookie mistakes, heck, they are just making mistakes. The Reds have done dumber things than bringing Pokey back in the short run.

Turn Off Ads?