Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Roberto Petagine

Back...And to the left.

Back...and to the left.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by SteelSD
    So your issue with Konerko is that he was dealt for a better all around player (Mike Cameron)???
    No that isn't my point at all -- so all your other diatribe was well, pointless.

I don't know why you have to be so difficult....and get so defensive.

Originally posted by SteelSD
    Do you have a link to that "recent report"? You must as it couldn't have been before 2003- Freel hadn't been with the Reds before that.

It couldn't have had anything to do with say...options...or...injuries. It must be that Bowden didn't like Ryan Freel? How in the world did Bowden know Ryan Freel long enough to like or dislike him???

Freel has the skill set of a decent bench option for the middle infield. That's great. Unfortunately, there's a lot more to running a Major League franchise than just calling up whomever you like, whenever you'd like to.

For the record, here are the Ryan Freel transactions:

04/19/03: Recalled Ryan Freel from AAA (replace Brandon Larson)
    05/06/03: Optioned Freel to AAA (Larkin came off the DL)
    05/22/03: Recalled Ryan Freel from AAA (Larkin on DL)
    05/29/03: Placed Ryan Freel on 15-day DL
    07/04/03: Activated Freel from DL and sent him to AAA (full roster)
    07/28/03: Bob Boone and Jim Bowden Fired
    07/31/03: Recalled Ryan Freel from AAA (Dempster on DL)
    08/06/03: Optioned Freel to AAA (Larson back up)
    08/20/03: Recalled Ryan Freel from AAA (Larson on DL 08/18)

Before Bowden was fired, Freel was called up twice- both times as a primary option to replace players lost to injury (Larkin) or poor performance (Larson). In fact, Ryan Freel was the first infielder recalled when the Reds needed a replacement- TWICE.

The next time Freel was sent down was due to a full roster with him coming off an injury that kept him out for over a month. That's simply tough luck- not some nefarious plan by Jim Bowden to rob the 27-year-old utility IF of opportunities. The new regime hasn't treated Ryan Freel any differently than Bowden did in the short time he had to evaluate him.

But what's this? Bowden was fired on 7/28 yet Freel was only recalled when a player went on the DL? And he was sent down again by someone not named Jim Bowden?? How could that be??? And how, if Bowden disliked Ryan Freel, why was Freel the first option Bowden turned to when a minor league infielder was required?

I hope Freel can be a good utility guy for us or even jump on the 2B slot by putting up positional average numbers there if we move Jimenez to SS. But no one screwed over Ryan Freel this season. What happened with Freel is what happens with any number of 27-year old minor leaguers who OPS around the .750 level. That's baseball. It's time you learned it.
    I am not going to go back and look this up for you. It was in either the Enquirer or the Post or the DDN. Whether you believe me or not means nothing to me.

If you do -- fine. If you don't -- well, I'll have to point you towards the materials for that bridge buiklding project you seem to be so infatuated with.

Originally posted by NEILYNG
    If you do -- fine. If you don't -- well, I'll have to point you towards the materials for that bridge buiklding project you seem to be so infatuated with.
    you're one to be talking there.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Originally posted by Ravenlord
    you're one to be talking there.
    You've been listening to too much Goth-Death-Suicide Metal.

Lighten up, dude.

Listen to some good stuff and keep on rockin in the free world.

:rock_band :rockon: :al_cohol:

don't like death metal, haven't listened to goth metal in a really long time, and suicide metal doesn't exist as far as i know...mainly i listen to power and speed metal.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

don't like death metal, haven't listened to goth metal in a really long time, and suicide metal doesn't exist as far as i know...mainly i listen to power and speed metal.
    Suicide metal doesn't exist? Try telling that to your buddy Layne Staley or Kurt Cobain.

Suicide metal doesn't exist? Try telling that to your buddy Layne Staley or Kurt Cobain.
    that's grunge metal and punk rock/metal. that has nothing to do with suicide. the closest you get to what could be termed suicide metal is death metal and doom metal, neither of which i like. as for Alice in Chains, the only 2 songs i liked from them is "I Stay Away" and "Rooster" (neither of which written by Staley, but by Jerry), and Nirvana i didn't think was that good. i liked Cobain's voice, but there are only 3 Nirvana songs that i actually like (the rest im indifferent). i own nothing, nor posess anything of the affore mentioned bands.

the evolution of threads sometimes amazes me.

that's grunge metal and punk rock/metal. that has nothing to do with suicide. the closest you get to what could be termed suicide metal is death metal and doom metal, neither of which i like. as for Alice in Chains, the only 2 songs i liked from them is "I Stay Away" and "Rooster" (neither of which written by Staley, but by Jerry), and Nirvana i didn't think was that good. i liked Cobain's voice, but there are only 3 Nirvana songs that i actually like (the rest im indifferent). i own nothing, nor posess anything of the affore mentioned bands.

the evolution of threads sometimes amazes me.
    This was Neil's reaction song to Kurt Cobain's suicide and Courtney Love's actions after it.

Sleeps with Angels (Neil Young)

She wasn't perfect
    She had some trips of her own
    He wasn't worried
    At least he wasn't alone
    Too late
    He sleeps with angels
    Too soon
    He's always on someone's mind
    He sleeps with angels
    Too late
    He sleeps with angels
    Too soon

She was a teen queen
    She saw the dark side of life
    She made things happen
    But when he did it that night
    She ran up phone bills
    She moved around
    from town to town
    Too late
    He sleeps with angels
    Too soon
    He's always on someone's mind
    He sleeps with angels
    He sleeps with angels

good rhetoric. i would like to hear Skid Row, Temple of the Dog, or Jon Schaffer put music to it.

Oh good grief.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Is there a point to this thread anymore?

No that isn't my point at all -- so all your other diatribe was well, pointless.

I don't know why you have to be so difficult....and get so defensive.
    Then what is your point? We dealt Paul Konerko for Mike Cameron and we ended up with a .900+ OPS'ing Sean Casey at 1B. Casey was the better prospect at the time (.949 Minor League OPS vs .927) and produced exceptionally for two seasons while Cameron was great in the OF in 1999.

If your point is that we shouldn't have dealt Konerko, it's also your point that we shouldn't have acquired Cameron. Frankly, that's a bad place to hang your hat.

I am not going to go back and look this up for you. It was in either the Enquirer or the Post or the DDN. Whether you believe me or not means nothing to me.

So you have no ability to find whatever it is you're getting your "information" from. Whether I believe you is beside the point (I don't as your reputation suggests that you're as dishonest as dishonest comes).

And what is a "bridge buikling project"? Is that where you make stuff up and try to pass it off as truth? If you meant "bridge building project" you should know that you've just built your bridge...and you've jumped.

If you can't back up your opinions, I'd suggest that you discontinue posting them, kid.

Originally posted by letsgojunior
    Is there a point to this thread anymore?
    LOL -- I think it's a moving target but there are several good things that we should not lose sight of going on here.

At one of if not the most difficult time that ever has existed for many of us Reds fans, real Reds fans are talking to one another -- agreeing, disagreeing, but talking; we are talking baseball -- past, present and future; we are talking other topics as well and building community among ourselves that is the kind of good things that ought to be happening on the Internet. Nobody's getting snarly at anyone else. And all of this is happening right here in RedsZone.

Tadaaaaaahh !!!!

I'm excited -- I am hearing God bless America playing in my head. Suddenly, it might just become 1976 again -- if only in our minds and our discussions with each other.

Maybe Roberto Petagine could replace Kurt Cobain in Nirvana? What do you guys think???

Maybe Roberto Petagine could replace Kurt Cobain in Nirvana? What do you guys think???
    i think Dave Grohl is happy being in the spot light and i don't think Krist Novaselic (sp) even plays anymore...but i bet Roberto could at the very least write more coherant songs and be a better guitarist.:evilgrin:

Turn Off Ads?