Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roberto Petagine

Originally posted by NEILYNG
    I am not Richard Hand, Drew Nelson or -- last time I checked -- Neil Young. But I do think Roberto Petagine would be a better option that Sean Casey. For the cost of Petagine the Reds could acquire Petagine and offer to soak up part of Casey's contract in a deal. They need to be thinking about these kinds of things moving forward.
    Hey, NEIL, build a bridge and get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

All dyslexics must untie!
    Yessir, here's the link http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/cintired.html

I enjoyed "lurking" the archives until registration was required. The content of the page was never such that I felt compelled to contribute (and as a rule I avoid opportunities to increase my daily email intake)
    Never overlook the obvious

Originally posted by gm
    Roberto Petagine is a really tired take from the listserv, a chat forum for "select" Red's fans holding certain strong opinions. Now that Pokey, BaBoone and Bowden have been "shown the door" my guess is Casey has become their latest whipping boy.
    The Listserv is anything BUT a "select" group of Reds fans. If anything -- it was what it must have been like to being a Nazi -- run by a guy named Bill Lack -- who is so narrow-minded yet has such an inflated opinion of himself that he makes Charlton Heston look like a nice guy.

An ex-Marine, Lack lives in a place in his mind that doesn't allow opinions that are different from his own. He has some major "control" and even temper issues that surface fairly frequently in his posts -- so all he has left are people who see it as normal to hang around and post in his area while living under a Hitler-like existance. He might be the biggest jerk I have ever encountered on the Internet.

What If ??? -- Purely Hypothetical -- Must Be the NyQuil

Pardon me for rambling with some possibilities that didn't happen. I have a terrible cold and have been taking NyQuil. Must be the hallucinations.

What if -- the Reds had dumped Bowden a few years back and made a couple of moves differently....

(1) What if -- they had gotten just one first round draft pick right and had a starter in their rotation to show for their efforts? An example would be Mark Prior or Barry Zito or Tim Hudson or countless others from teams who did get one right. Let's go with Prior and say he represents this one change.

(2) What if -- they had kept Roberto Petagine and Paul Konerko and traded Casey when his value was high for more pitching? Let's say it was for a Livan Hernandez.

(3) What if -- instead of dinking around so long trying to get Mark Wohlers turned around, or Jose Rijo to comeback or Deion Sanders or Kevin Mitchell or Jimmy Anderson or countless others -- and some youngster had developed like they could/should have.

(4) What if -- Barry Larkin had been traded and the Reds got some decent young infielders for him, and kept Bret Boone.

(5) What if -- Junior had just come to Cincy as a free agent and never got hurt and kept his play at pre-Cincy levels?

(6) What if -- the Reds had taken Scott Rolen up on his desire to play for Cincinnati?

(7) What if -- they brought in someone like Rob Nen who won't get much more opportunity in SD now that Trevor Hoffman is coming back?

(8) What if -- because of the moves above -- we could be grooming Adam Dunn to really be a decent ball player long term, with improved contact and/or defense?

C -- Jason LaRue
    1B -- Paul Konerko
    2B -- Brett Boone
    SS -- Pokey Reese
    3B -- Scott Rolen
    LF -- Roberto Petagine
    CF -- Junior Griffey
    RF -- Austin Kearns

P -- Mark Prior
    P -- Livan Hernandez
    P -- Brandon Claussen
    P -- Paul Wilson
    P -- Jose Acevedo
    P -- Ryan Wagner
    P -- Rob Nen
    P -- John Reidling
    P -- Aaron Harang
    P -- Danny Graves
    P -- Chris Reitsma

Originally posted by Chip R
    Is someone showing their true colors????

Originally posted by wheels
    They can't just dump Casey, BECAUSE of that bad contract.

And as far as the two names you listed, there will be better options this offseason.
    So who are your "better options" that you have in mind???

Originally posted by pedro
    couldn't find them. but did find this about last year.

Even before he took the lead in the Central League home run race, the Japanese media noticed something unusual about Petagine, and they dubbed it "Love Power." It seems -- according to Nikkan Sports and other Japanese sports papers -- that Petagine hits best when his wife is sitting behind the Swallows' dugout. Whatever the reason, Petagine led the CL with 44 home runs and 116 base on balls while also batting .325 with 112 RBIs. At the beginning of the season, Petagine took his time to learn the pitchers and get adjusted to their style. As the season continued, his batting average continued to rise at the same pace as his home runs. Petagine also stole 10 bases in 11 attempts, and he only missed one game of the season, to attend a diplomatic function in his honor.
    That is interesting. I bet he never had anything even remotely resembling a "diplomatic function in his honor" while in Cincy -- not even consideration for a bobble-head night.

I just think that the Reds really missed it with him -- he was not playing on teams where there was any reason whatsoever to overlook him. He rang up stats that were incredible and has still done that in japan over a long period of time.

More like Drew Nelson.
    Since when do "moderators" have free reign to take potshots at clearly legitimate posts on Reds related topics?

This is so wrong to see -- especially from someone who is empowered with "moderator" status.

Originally posted by NEILYNG
    This is so wrong to see -- especially from someone who is empowered with "moderator" status.
    Uhoh a moderator voicing an opinion on an opinion driven message board we must stop that from happening.

Originally posted by SYCMiniBus
    Uhoh a moderator voicing an opinion on an opinion driven message board we must stop that from happening.
    Don't wander into some place that you know absolutely nothing about. A word to the wise is sufficient.

Neil, no reason to get all bent out of shape. I don't know for certain, but I think from the smiley in Chip's post, that it was meant as a non-offensive joke on your name.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Unfortunately, NEIL can dish it out (telling everyone and his brother to "build a bridge and get over it") but he cannot take it when someone else tells him that even when it was meant in a joking manner. As for the Drew Nelson reference, someone mentioned that Richard Hand used to be very high on Petagine and I was just saying that it was Drew Nelson who was the big RP fan.

Getting back to the subject at hand, RP is, was and always will be a ham-n-egger on the major league level. A AAAA player at best. The Reds weren't the only team to give up on him. He has had various chances with several teams including a season long stint with the Mets or the Padres - I can't remember which one. I'm happy he's having success and making money over in Japan. But there's a huge difference in doing well in Japan and doing well in the major leagues. Just as there is a huge difference between doing well in AAA and doing well in the majors.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Unfortunately, NEIL can dish it out (telling everyone and his brother to "build a bridge and get over it") but he cannot take it when someone else tells him that even when it was meant in a joking manner. As for the Drew Nelson reference, someone mentioned that Richard Hand used to be very high on Petagine and I was just saying that it was Drew Nelson who was the big RP fan.

Getting back to the subject at hand, RP is, was and always will be a ham-n-egger on the major league level. A AAAA player at best. The Reds weren't the only team to give up on him. He has had various chances with several teams including a season long stint with the Mets or the Padres - I can't remember which one. I'm happy he's having success and making money over in Japan. But there's a huge difference in doing well in Japan and doing well in the major leagues. Just as there is a huge difference between doing well in AAA and doing well in the majors.
    Chip: Where have I made that statement ??? I think you are getting areas mixed up. But you do need to get over it.

If you have a problem with me -- as moderator you should not have to be reminded of using the PM feature.

Turn Off Ads?