Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Roberto Petagine

Originally posted by savafan
    Neil, no reason to get all bent out of shape. I don't know for certain, but I think from the smiley in Chip's post, that it was meant as a non-offensive joke on your name.
    No, that is NOT what Chip was referring to. I am going to demonstarte something that "moderator" Chip cannot demonstrate -- restraint. Suffice to say that Chip should be able to know that what he is doing is underhanded attempts to disrupt and harass me in this area -- for stating my opinion in an opinion board (as someone so accurately stated before).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by Redny
    Nice to see your still on the Petagine bandwagon Neil.
    Thanks, I appreciate that allot.

Originally posted by Chip R
    RP is, was and always will be a ham-n-egger on the major league level. A AAAA player at best. The Reds weren't the only team to give up on him. He has had various chances with several teams including a season long stint with the Mets or the Padres - I can't remember which one. I'm happy he's having success and making money over in Japan. But there's a huge difference in doing well in Japan and doing well in the major leagues. Just as there is a huge difference between doing well in AAA and doing well in the majors.
    I don't agree with this assessment. Petagine may be one of those guys who comes into his own a little later than others. Couple that with the FACT that he really wasn't given much of a shot at a stretch of full-time play -- and you have somebody who fell through the cracks.

I do agree that stats in Japan are not stats in the MLB but there has been much written on this in many places including Baseball Prospectus and by Bill James (who you folks like to selectively quote when what he says fits your position).

James has stated that stats in Japan can be adjusted to about 80% to allow for the weaker pitchers, smaller parks, poorer defense. He says it is between AAA and the MLB -- above AAA (which I think you meant to say when you stated that you felt Petagine was a AAAA player at best) and below MLB stats.

I think there are enough examples of players coming over here or back here from Japan to validate that to a large degree.

Does this guarantee that Petagine would come back and do well at the MLB level? No. But at a time when the Reds are trying guys like Dan Serafini and this Cere guy coming over from the Mexican Leagues -- and at a time when they seem to be entertaining the idea of bringing Pokey Reese back -- I say it is worth a try....as much as any of those gonzo-bizarre moves.

The Casey contract has to go and this would be one way to have that happen with a good shot at no downside.

Chip is such a troublemaker here on RedsZone. He's always starting fights and just isn't a very likeable guy. I just can't stand him. :evilgrin:

Hey Neil, if you hate it here so much, I've got a good solution for you. LEAVE!

Have you noticed that almost everytime you come on here, it turns into this. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! There might be a reason for this.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Originally posted by MWM
    Chip is such a troublemaker here on RedsZone. He's always starting fights and just isn't a very likeable guy. I just can't stand him. :evilgrin:
    Hate is such a strong word and such a heavy emotion -- that is not accurate to describe someone you don't know other than exchanging ideas on the Internet.

I was the one that made the reference to Richard Hand. It was ment tongue-in-cheek but, unfortunately, I got my reference wrong. Chip simply corrected that.

It was a reference to another time on this board and it was ment in fun. Geez!

Rem

Originally posted by MWM
    Hey Neil, if you hate it here so much, I've got a good solution for you. LEAVE!

Have you noticed that almost everytime you come on here, it turns into this. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! There might be a reason for this.
    Yeah -- I have noticed that my opinions seem to bring out some real raw emotion from some folks -- and then some even use words like "hate" and tell me to "leave" -- is that what this forum is all about? Is it only for people who agree with each other???

If that is the case, it isn't the place for me -- or allot of others who want to discuss Reds baseball and their opinions of it without being told that we are hated and ought to just leave.

Originally posted by remdog
    I was the one that made the reference to Richard Hand. It was ment tongue-in-cheek but, unfortunately, I got my reference wrong. Chip simply corrected that.

It was a reference to another time on this board and it was ment in fun. Geez!

Rem
    So were some of my replies -- but then some other folsk started showing their "dark side"....and words like "hate" and ideas like, if you disagree with us you should "leave" started flying. No wonder that some folks see the whole community of Cincinnati as close-minded, hard-headedness that has no tolerance for differences.:thumbdn:

I started talking about why I thought it made sense to bring back Roberto Petagine and the thread has tuerned into their non-sense.

I think you're right Neil. Everyone always agrees on RedsZone. That's why I like it so much. No one has ever disagreed with me or I have never disagreed with anyone else.

It's a wonderful place where we sit around eating peaches, building bridges, and singing Kumbaya while always agreeing.

BTW, I never asked you to leave, I merely suggested that if you are somiserable here, maybe you shouldn't come back. For your sake.
    Last edited by MWM; 09-10-2003 at 10:54 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Originally posted by NEILYNG
    Chip: Where have I made that statement ???
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...threadid=15042

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...050#post204050

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...227#post212227

Must be the NyQuil, right, NEIL?
    Last edited by Chip R; 09-10-2003 at 11:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

If nothing else he provides wonderful comic relief on hump day.

I love these kinds of threads!

All dyslexics must untie!
    "The Listserv is anything BUT a "select" group of Reds fans"

Based on your description of Mr. Lack, I would say my impression of the listserv was correct: a small group of Red's fans who share specific opinions about the ballclub and who (in affect) "select" who will remain a member of their inner circle.

Jim Bowden is gone (much rejoicing, but no more "what if" questions, please) Roberto Petagine is in Japan and isn't likely to become a Red, again. That's why Chip is recommending that you join us in the present and discuss the plausible future of the Cincy franchise (BTW, careful with that NyQuil, I know from experience it can take you places that will be difficult to return from)
    Last edited by gm; 09-10-2003 at 11:49 AM.
    Never overlook the obvious

(BTW, careful with that NyQuil, I know from experience it can take you places that will be difficult to return from)
    Where?

Beaverton?

All dyslexics must untie!
    A certain hospital that used to be located in Wilsonville
    Never overlook the obvious

Originally posted by MWM
    I think you're right Neil. Everyone always agrees on RedsZone. That's why I like it so much. No one has ever disagreed with me or I have never disagreed with anyone else.

It's a wonderful place where we sit around eating peaches, building bridges, and singing Kumbaya while always agreeing.

BTW, I never asked you to leave, I merely suggested that if you are somiserable here, maybe you shouldn't come back. For your sake.
    I don't think you would recognize "miserable" unless you looked in the mirror and could focus on something more than the tongue firmly implanted in your fat cheek.

Turn Off Ads?