Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Roberto Petagine

Originally posted by gm
    [B]"The Listserv is anything BUT a "select" group of Reds fans"

Based on your description of Mr. Lack, I would say my impression of the listserv was correct: a small group of Red's fans who share specific opinions about the ballclub and who (in affect) "select" who will remain a member of their inner circle.

Jim Bowden is gone (much rejoicing, but no more "what if" questions, please) Roberto Petagine is in Japan and isn't likely to become a Red, again. [B]
    You got your read absolutely correct about the Reds Listserv. I just hope the same thing doesn't apply here because it seems like there is a very small similar faction here.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by gm
    Jim Bowden is gone (much rejoicing, but no more "what if" questions, please) Roberto Petagine is in Japan and isn't likely to become a Red, again. That's why Chip is recommending that you join us in the present and discuss the plausible future of the Cincy franchise (BTW, careful with that NyQuil, I know from experience it can take you places that will be difficult to return from)
    Chip (and you) have missed the point that I was proposing this in the present -- then everything was lost in a hazy drift of sabre-fog coming from the malcontent section of the arena.

Originally posted by gm
    BTW, careful with that NyQuil, I know from experience it can take you places that will be difficult to return from)
    So are you saying that Jim Bowden had the whole organization hooked on NyQuil??? When you think about it -- it makes sense.

I just wanted to see the context towards which I had attached that phrase. Thanks for taking an important part of what is most people's day to research hundreds of posts to find where I made the kind of suggestion that you -- more than most human beings walking around on the planet -- should take heed.

Shouldn't you be moderating or something.

Originally posted by NEILYNG
    I just wanted to see the context towards which I had attached that phrase. Thanks for taking an important part of what is most people's day to research hundreds of posts to find where I made the kind of suggestion that you -- more than most human beings walking around on the planet -- should take heed.

Shouldn't you be moderating or something.
    Yep. The Search feature is a wonderful thing. It brought up 25 of your most recent posts and it took me 5 minutes to find those 3. The context you used in your posts was the exact same context I used when I told you to "build a bridge". Now take your NyQuil and go back to sleep. :zzz:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I had a dream....

Originally posted by Chip R
    Yep. The Search feature is a wonderful thing. It brought up 25 of your most recent posts and it took me 5 minutes to find those 3. The context you used in your posts was the exact same context I used when I told you to "build a bridge". Now take your NyQuil and go back to sleep. :zzz:
    As Martin Luther King once so eloquently stated, I had a dream last night. My dream centered around a moderator named Chip who was asked to no longer moderate his previously assigned area. When asked why this was happening he received a written report that simply stated, "Inflated ego has blinded him to his own stupidity."

I woke up with a great smile -- feeling much better and totally rested and ready to face the troubles of my day.

Now were you saying anything important there Chippy????

Re: I had a dream....

Originally posted by NEILYNG
    As Martin Luther King once so eloquently stated, I had a dream last night. My dream centered around a moderator named Chip who was asked to no longer moderate his previously assigned area. When asked why this was happening he received a written report that simply stated, "Inflated ego has blinded him to his own stupidity."

I woke up with a great smile -- feeling much better and totally rested and ready to face the troubles of my day.

Now were you saying anything important there Chippy????
    Too bad for you it was just a dream.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Re: Re: I had a dream....

Too bad for you it was just a dream.
    Things that start out as dreams -- oftentimes become reality. Anything the mind can conceive and believe -- it can achieve.

When Jim Bowden was named GM of the Year after the 1999 season, I stated that he would be exposed as a phoney and a fraud and be fired for it. It took a few more seasons but it became a reality.

It might not take as long for that samething to happen to you Chipster.

Build a bridge, NEIL.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Build a bridge, NEIL.
    Only after you eat a peach.

All dyslexics must untie!
    "I just hope the same thing doesn't apply here"

Nah. the mods here will give you a pretty long leash. If you get off'ed it's likely because you really wanted to get run. Keep your sense of humor, avoid personal attacks and (whatever you do) if the NyQuil starts to give you a buzz that keeps you awake all night, STOP taking it
    Last edited by gm; 09-10-2003 at 07:43 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Originally posted by gm
    "I just hope the same thing doesn't apply here"

Nah. the mods here will give you a pretty long leash. If you get off'ed it's likely because you really wanted to get run. Keep your sense of humor, avoid personal attacks and (whatever you do) if the NyQuil starts to give you a buzz that keeps you awake all night, STOP taking it
    The NyQuil is nothing compared to all this cocaine I am doing....

I am just kidding:evilgrin:

2003 Player Salaries:

C -- Jason LaRue (1.25M)
    1B -- Paul Konerko (6.5M)
    2B -- Brett Boone (8.0M)
    SS -- Pokey Reese (5.0M- as he would have never been released)
    3B -- Scott Rolen (7.7M)
    LF -- Roberto Petagine (5M minimum- to get him away from his 6M in Japan)
    CF -- Junior Griffey (10M- estimated value factoring in inflationary devalued deferred funds)
    RF -- Austin Kearns (0.35M)

P -- Mark Prior (Not gonna factor him in the team as we did not draft low enough to acquire him. Flight of fancy.)
    P -- Livan Hernandez (3.8M)
    P -- Brandon Claussen (0.35M)
    P -- Paul Wilson (0.5M)
    P -- Jose Acevedo (0.35M)
    P -- Ryan Wagner (0.35M)
    P -- Rob Nen (8.75M- Out for Season. Plays for San Fran BTW)
    P -- John Reidling (0.35M)
    P -- Aaron Harang (0.35M)
    P -- Danny Graves (5.0M)
    P -- Chris Reitsma (0.35K)

+2 ML Minimum salaries to replace Prior (who we could never have had) and Nen (Out for the season). Then add 5M minimum for the 6 bench players not listed.

Total Salaries: 68.95 Million Dollars in salary alone, not counting benefits and a 75 Million Dollar salary staring us in the face in 2004.

No cost certainty and coupled with highly paid underperforming/unproven players (Konerko, Reese, Graves, Petagine), unproven youngsters (Claussen, Acevedo, Harang), or injured players (Nen, Claussen not back from TJ surgery).

Way to go, Neil. You just produced a team capable of around 70-75 wins and you did it by spending almost 70 Million dollars. If hindsight is 20/20, Neil just put up a great case for needing glasses. Ugh.

Ten Ways SteelSD is WRONG AGAIN

Originally posted by SteelSD
    2003 Player Salaries:

C -- Jason LaRue (1.25M)
    1B -- Paul Konerko (6.5M)
    2B -- Brett Boone (8.0M)
    SS -- Pokey Reese (5.0M- as he would have never been released)
    3B -- Scott Rolen (7.7M)
    LF -- Roberto Petagine (5M minimum- to get him away from his 6M in Japan)
    CF -- Junior Griffey (10M- estimated value factoring in inflationary devalued deferred funds)
    RF -- Austin Kearns (0.35M)

P -- Mark Prior (Not gonna factor him in the team as we did not draft low enough to acquire him. Flight of fancy.)
    P -- Livan Hernandez (3.8M)
    P -- Brandon Claussen (0.35M)
    P -- Paul Wilson (0.5M)
    P -- Jose Acevedo (0.35M)
    P -- Ryan Wagner (0.35M)
    P -- Rob Nen (8.75M- Out for Season. Plays for San Fran BTW)
    P -- John Reidling (0.35M)
    P -- Aaron Harang (0.35M)
    P -- Danny Graves (5.0M)
    P -- Chris Reitsma (0.35K)

+2 ML Minimum salaries to replace Prior (who we could never have had) and Nen (Out for the season). Then add 5M minimum for the 6 bench players not listed.

Total Salaries: 68.95 Million Dollars in salary alone, not counting benefits and a 75 Million Dollar salary staring us in the face in 2004.

No cost certainty and coupled with highly paid underperforming/unproven players (Konerko, Reese, Graves, Petagine), unproven youngsters (Claussen, Acevedo, Harang), or injured players (Nen, Claussen not back from TJ surgery).

Way to go, Neil. You just produced a team capable of around 70-75 wins and you did it by spending almost 70 Million dollars. If hindsight is 20/20, Neil just put up a great case for needing glasses. Ugh.
    There are only a handful of people walking around on the planet who would read so much inaccurate information into a post in an attempt to put thir own "spin" on it -- and SteelSD -- I believe that you smell like one of them.

Are you back to drinking AGAIN?

You obviously don't follow the game too closely -- or even this thread. As was previously reported Roberto Petagine had indicated a desire to get back to the states and would've signed for $3 -- so you're wrong there (number one).

Scott Rolen is from southern Indiana (Jasper, Indiana) and had a preference to play in Cincinnati and would've gone there for less money -- so you are wrong again (number two).

Reese IMO would only be acquired if part of the contract was paid for by the other club -- som your wrong again (number three)

Junior's deferred money is just that -- and it cannot be deferred and then brought forth and estimated as devalued -- and call this the current season's payroll. You can do it but to do so would make you, yes -- wrong again (number four)

I screwed up by saying Nen, I meant Rod Beck, and the reference to San Diego should've clued any knowledagble fan of that -- but I don't suspect you could be categorized as that which is why you didn't catch it. But it is acknowledgd as my mistake (number one for me).

Why would I put Prior in this hypothetical rotation as indicative of Bowden possibly getting one draft pick right -- and you disallow it. Hold on, I have to laugh a bit at that logic....

OK, well, flight of fancy or not, I'm keeping Prior in there and it is my hypothetical lineup so that would make you wrong again (number five).

When one does put together a hypothetical lineup there would be no cost certainty and would contain some underperforming/unproven players (Konerko, Reese, Graves, Petagine), unproven youngsters (Claussen, Acevedo, Harang), or injured players (Claussen not back from TJ surgery). Instead of being critical of what someone else hypothesizes, why not put your energy into saying something meaningful of your own? To do otherwise would ake you -- yes -- wrong again (number six).

Now if you feel a lineup that includes Bret Boone, Austin Kearns, Junior Griffey, Scott Rolen and Paul Konerko is not formidable -- well I would be obliged to respect your opnion -- but would also see you as WRONG AGAIN (number seven)

If you think a rotation anchored with Prior and Livan Hernandez and having Claussen as your number three guy -- with Wilson at four and Acevedo at five is not a vast improvement, well you know what you'd be -- wrong wrong wrong (number eight)

If you think the relief corp of Beck and Wagner as closers, with Graves, Reidling, Reistma and Harang is not deep and has vastly more capabilities than what we have now -- (number ten -- is what you'd be).

Re: Ten Ways SteelSD is WRONG AGAIN

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NEILYNG
    [B]There are only a handful of people walking around on the planet who would read so much inaccurate information into a post in an attempt to put thir own "spin" on it -- and SteelSD -- I believe that you smell like one of them.

Are you back to drinking AGAIN?

Now if you feel a lineup that includes Bret Boone, Austin Kearns, Junior Griffey, Scott Rolen and Paul Konerko is not formidable -- well I would be obliged to respect your opnion -- but would also see you as WRONG AGAIN (number seven) [QUOTE]

Not to mention including the real anchor of a lineup like this Roberto Petagine.

Are you back to drinking again SteelSD? :al_cohol:

I am playing in the band:

:rock_band :rockon: :eek2: :yipee: :smokin:

Turn Off Ads?