Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kullman on the radio tonight

Originally posted by CougarQuest
    Kullman did nothing in that interview to make me desire him as a GM. He reminded me of a mini-Allen. Everything was money-speak.
    I love it.. new nickname for Kulman.. Mini Allen..

Yep, he's brown nosing his way to that GM job. I bet he'll work as the cheapest GM in the league too.

I'm upping my odds to 80% that Kulman gets the job after a sham search to fulfill the minority requirement and make the Reds appear to be players for a "name" guy.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Hey Redread, have you read Moneyball?

Aside from the Billy Beane glad handing there is ample information about running a baseball team on a limited budget, pretty interesting stuff.

Don't think that cost isn't the #1 concern of every organization not on a major waterway or owned by a media firm.

Originally posted by westofyou
    Hey Redread, have you read Moneyball?

No, I haven't read it.. but the Reds certainly do not understand how to win on a low budget. Would Oakland have turned down the chance to get Penny and instead pin their hopes on Jimmy Anderson turning around?

Just because the Reds are cutting costs, doesn't mean they are making the right choices.

Everyone is expecting things to get better, simply because Bowden has been fired. Yet, the Kulman era has started out pretty underwhelming, IMO.

If I saw a glimmer of hope, like maybe signing those two picks (Delangelo and Cornell) with the cash they got back, maybe I'd be more optimistic about the future.

From this point of view, it looks like the same story.. continue to skimp on the draft, trade away the best players due to $$, fill the roster with retreads.

I'm at the point now where I don't want Casey or Graves traded.. there is no indication the saved money will be spent on the team. And their replacements are likely to be worse.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 09-03-2003 at 03:57 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Would Oakland have turned down the chance to get Penny and instead pin their hopes on Jimmy Anderson turning around?
    First off Anderson was a number 5 pitcher (at best) so saying he's a replacement for the "rumored" deal for Brad Penny is really just stabs in the dark to create an issue.

As far as the Kullman era it's all of what 36 days old?

Meanwhile shedding contract obligations to middle relievers and backups have represented the majority of the moves on a team that is hamstrung with injuries, yet this is disturbing?

36 days......... and already the rest of the decade is over.

Originally posted by REDREAD
    No, I haven't read it..

Read it, trust me on this.

PSR

As far as the Kullman era it's all of what 36 days old?
    If you had heard him last night, it would seem more like 36 years to you. He could spew the company line like a pro.

I just kept thinking "snake oil, snake oil".

I hope he's married cause someone has to scrape the slim off of him every night.

Now you want to know how I really feel?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

hope he's married cause someone has to scrape the slim off of him every night.
    He's married to former big leaguer Jim Perry's daughter.

11 years of Bowdens hyperbole and BS and even Larry Mondello from Leave it to Beaver looks good to me.

Isn't Kullman's title something like Interim Co-GM?

Folks with titles like that usually try to stay in the middle of the road and be as non-commital as possible. Just keep things going, and wait for things up above to settle down.

(I oughtta know...I've currently got "Interim" in front of my title at work...)

If you expected anything earthshattering from Kullman last night, I'd submit that you had some unrealistic expectations.

Originally posted by 15fan
    Isn't Kullman's title something like Interim Co-GM?

Folks with titles like that usually try to stay in the middle of the road and be as non-commital as possible.
    He wasn't non-commital. He was somewhat combative and condesending. It's like he graduated from the John Allen School of Public Speaking.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Originally posted by creek14
    He was somewhat combative and condesending.
    I'd take out the word 'somewhat'.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

First off Anderson was a number 5 pitcher (at best) so saying he's a replacement for the "rumored" deal for Brad Penny is really just stabs in the dark to create an issue.
    No, that's the wrong way to look at it..

The Reds needed another starting pitcher. They should've tried to get the best possible candidate, as opposed to thinking, "Hey, we only need a #5".. If they get Penny, he becomes their #1 or #2 and everyone slides down a slot, and the team improves.

The cost difference was roughly a million dollars (had Anderson stayed on the team all year). And Penny would've been an asset that could've been traded for value later.

The cost difference was roughly a million dollars (had Anderson stayed on the team all year). And Penny would've been an asset that could've been traded for value later.
    The cost diffrence was not just cash it was talent... what were the Reds giving up?

Originally posted by Raisor
    Read it, trust me on this.

PSR
    I'm sure it's a great book..

But from what I've heard on the board about it, the Reds aren't exactly emulating the model..

In fact, other than shedding salary, the Reds have done little at all since Bowden left. The Mercker trade was a good one. The Boone trade might be good (if Clausen recovers and lives up to expectations).. The Guillen trade was a push.. didn't really get great talent, but we probably shouldn't expect much. Ditto for Stinett.
    The other trades/give aways, we were fleeced.

The cost diffrence was not just cash it was talent... what were the Reds giving up?
    Supposedly, two of Hudson, Howington, and Mateo..

Of course, that's only a rumor, but that's all we have to go by.

Let me add, there's probably not a prosect in the minors on opening day that should've been held back in that trade.. our farm is that low, and we needed starting pitching that badly.
    Florida was looking to give him away, and we passed.

Turn Off Ads?