Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kullman on the radio tonight

Retired
    No real answer to any question, he's perfect GM material.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The decision of Barry Larkin is up to Allen and Lindner.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Retired
    And that's the problem Coug, Mr. Allen has his nose stuck in the baseball side of things, where it does not belong.

So, if Allen and Lindner are calling all the shots, why even hire a GM?

Retired
    Oh man, this guy named Doug just ripped the Reds a new one.

Retired
    Kullman seems rather combative and brash with many of the fans questions. Not a way to win over fans that already hate you.

He more or less keeps repeating the financial flexability mantra over and over again. A wonderful interview of all questions, and no answers. :thumbdn:

Kullman did nothing in that interview to make me desire him as a GM. He reminded me of a mini-Allen. Everything was money-speak.

It sounded to me, reading between his speaking without really answering the question, that the Reds don't want Larkin back and KGJ will be back next year.

Furman asked some good questions, but when Kullman didn't answer them directly, Furman didn't follow up the question/'answer' and get an answer to the meat of the question.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    The FO wordsmith that came up with "financial flexibility" as the buzzword to mitigate fan hostility deserves a place in the Bush cabinet.

Right next to the "weapons of mass destruction" genius.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

When ole Brad was asked a tough question his voice got as high and squeeky as a 12 year old girl at a Backstreet Boys concert.

And how many times did he say "but we have a beautiful new park" when asked why fans should come out next season?
    Last edited by creek14; 09-02-2003 at 10:36 PM.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Originally posted by cooperlamar
    He's being very combative and avoiding all questions. He will not commit to any number for the payroll for next season.
    Not sure about the combative part, but I don't want him talking about payroll. I don't want him talking about budget. The Reds need to stop whining about money and build a better team, within whatever team they have. All the budget talk makes things worse.

What did Kullman expect when he was going on the air? Did he think he was boarding the good ship, Lollipop?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Originally posted by buckeyenut
    Not sure about the combative part, but I don't want him talking about payroll. I don't want him talking about budget. The Reds need to stop whining about money and build a better team, within whatever team they have. All the budget talk makes things worse.
    That's all well and good but what is he supposed to say when someone asks him about it? "No comment"? I don't like hearing them whine about money either but we can't just stick our heads in the sand and pretend we're the Yankees. I agree that they should just try to build the best team they can within whatever financial constraints they have. It can be done. Look at all the teams in contention right now. The Expos are more competitive than we are and they were without Vlad for a couple of months. The Reds have consistently played the small market card so it is understandable when the local media ask about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Originally posted by Krusty
    What did Kullman expect when he was going on the air? Did he think he was boarding the good ship, Lollipop?
    Yeah coming on with Furman, he probably did. Furman tends to suck up to "celebrities". I was shocked at how he didn't let Kuhlman slide (too much).
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Kullman should switch to decaf before he goes on the radio again.

I listened to about 20 minutes worth of his interview on my drive home. After all the good things about Kullman I had read about him in here, I was looking forward to hearing some open and frank answers about the Reds. Boy was I mistaken. Same old stuff, only not coming out of Allen's mouth.

My "favorite" was when asked abut next year's budget, Kullman asked Furman if his listening public asked about WLW's budget and if that was fair. I yelled at the radio "if the public built the WLW tower and studios from tax money, yes!".

I am trying very hard to be open minded about next year and the rebuilding of the team, but stone-walling like this make it difficult.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 09-03-2003 at 08:19 AM.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    I knew there was a reason I never listen to WLW before or after the actual ballgames.

I actually went into this with some faint hope that Kullman would talk a little about how statistical analysis is the wave of the future in player evaluation, etc., but then I remembered the nature of the WLW/Sportstalk crowd. Their idea of "analysis" is looking at last year's batting average and RBI totals.

Then the more Kullman didn't attempt to address the people who kept talking about a "plan" like there actually is one besides "get players that are young and different and try to win more", the more like a trip to the dentist the whole interview became. I appreciate Brad's attempt to be accessible, but the Reds should decide on a budget figure and some qualitative mantras beyond "financial flexibility" (even though that's the right idea, it doesn't register with Joe Fan like it does the Dr. Fans we have here) before they allow their people onto any media outlets.

And I also think that if I were Kullman, I think I would have built up a healthy dose of frustration about this whole situation already.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by 15fan
    If I were in his shoes, I'd be more inclined to simply stop by from time to time with a faceless user ID who just happens to have some connections to the front office.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Creek:
    I've heard that happens. Not him, but others.

----
    Check out the great interview with Rangers' Asst. GM Grady Fuson on this fan website:

http://www.newbergreport.com/
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?