Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Homosexuality, baseball's biggest taboo

I just think this is damn funny.."OOOOOO! He might look at my body in the shower!" What is this? High school?

MLB players should be lucky, 90% are so damn ugly, nobody would *want* to look at them, clothed or otherwise.

Bud Selig? Stand up and do something instead of looking the other way.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Next time I take a shower at the Y, I'm going to ask all the Republicans to leave because they offend my sensibility and might try to give me a bible.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Originally posted by Falls City Beer
    Next time I take a shower at the Y, I'm going to ask all the Republicans to leave because they offend my sensibility and might try to give me a bible.
    Sensibility???? How much sense does it make to be homosexual? Look at the female body and then look at the male body. Think about what they are supposed to do together. That makes sense.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I believe in the concept that there is a way things ought to be, and then there is reality. If the majority of players are uncomfortable with something to the point that it becomes a distraction to a team's ability to play well, then it IS a problem. Nobody is likey to change that by giving sensitivity training or preaching tolerance. People really shouldn't give a damn about these guys' personal lives unless they are doing something illegal or something that is hurting their ability to play. But, we all know that is not the case. If a player is gay, I think he is best served to try and keep that out of the clubhouse... out of media. If it comes out and his teammates can deal, fine. But, more than likely, it will be a problem. It's a case by case thing. You can't just throw a blanket over it and say this is how people should react to it. That is naive.

BTW, if you live in Cincinnati, you may have heard rumors that a prominent member of the Big Red Machine was gay. Whether it's true or not, that apparently wasn't a problem.

Haunted by walks
    It would be a problem and it wouldn't be easy, but Jackie Robinson didn't have it easy either. It wouldn't be easy having Dennis Rodman on your team, but the Bulls won championships that way. How does a team of rowdy partiers deal with having a born-again Christian in their midst, and vice versa? Here's a completely hypothetical question: If Albert Pujols were gay, would you trade him?

Originally posted by BCubb2003
    It would be a problem and it wouldn't be easy, but Jackie Robinson didn't have it easy either. It wouldn't be easy having Dennis Rodman on your team, but the Bulls won championships that way. How does a team of rowdy partiers deal with having a born-again Christian in their midst, and vice versa? Here's a completely hypothetical question: If Albert Pujols were gay, would you trade him?
    Yes if it distracted from the team then I would trade him. I'm not saying to kick a gay person off of the team. I think it would be a smart thing if they just don't tout it. As far as a born again Christian being in the midst of rowdy guys??? It happens all of the time. True (and I mean true) Christians usually don't try to stuff something down someones throat. They live by example. Not everyone is going to do this and they accept that.

This argument that always seems to lead to Jackie Robinson being discussed is ridiculous. Jackie was not doing behavior that is unnatural and wrong. Jackie's problem was that he was black. Racism is just as bad as being a homosexual. It should not be tolerated.

I don't think that homosexual activity should be singled out as the big thing that everyone gets all tore up about. It is no different than a drug addict or in my opinion a steriod user. All of these are behaviors that should not be tolerated. The clubhouse cannot and should not have to put up with any of these. People can "live with" some of the others and one can argue that people should learn how to live with a gay player... I personally think that the less distraction a team has the better.

Homosexuality would be a distraction and the clubhouse doesn't need it.
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

So the gay guy should be quiet for the good of the team?

I see your point Santo, but eventually someone has to do something to move this thing forward. It's a little like saying the person/people that are repressed need to keep quiet so things can continue the way dominant society hopes they do. There are times when the individual must speak out.

As for the shower stuff (eye roll), maybe it's time we put up individual stalls in the male showers. It's kinda gross that we never had those anyway. In a way, this arguement is more about the need for private showers space than it is for anything. And i'm all for that. In many male locker room it's just 6 shower heads in one big stall....heteosexual, homosexual, bi, etc...it's an uncomfortable setting that needs to change. I have no earthly idea why it's still this way. It's a form of denial. Men want the privacy, but are concerned that the implication is something is amiss if they ask for it.

1990WorldChamps
    You can all come watch me shower anytime you want. I don't care. Pictures will cost you extra.

Originally posted by J "Cooper"
    So the gay guy should be quiet for the good of the team?

I see your point Santo, but eventually someone has to do something to move this thing forward. It's a little like saying the person/people that are repressed need to keep quiet so things can continue the way dominant society hopes they do. There are times when the individual must speak out.

Move what forward... Why do we need to "move it forward?" I have not seen even one case where a homosexual wanted to play baseball. Not one. It ain't like there is a AAA or college star out there that is wanting to play. Just how many poor "oppressed (roll eyes 2x)" gay baseball players are there in the world?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Originally posted by paulrichjr
    Move what forward... Why do we need to "move it forward?" I have not seen even one case where a homosexual wanted to play baseball. Not one. It ain't like there is a AAA or college star out there that is wanting to play. Just how many poor "oppressed (roll eyes 2x)" gay baseball players are there in the world?
    Paul, it's time to start your list of gay baseball players. Put this name at the top of it.

Billy Bean

You might want to read his book if you don't believe he was "oppressed," as you put it.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 02-28-2004 at 09:03 PM.

Paul, it's time to start your list of gay baseball players. Put this name at the top of it.
    Next put Glen Burke up there.

http://www.lambda.net/~maximum/burke.html
    Last edited by westofyou; 02-28-2004 at 09:08 PM.

Funny you should mention Glenn Burke. I am a friend & neighbor of former Athletic pitcher, Mike Norris, who recently told me that he felt Burke was the best all-around athlete he ever saw from the Oakland / Berkeley area. In addition, Mike argued that Burke was even better than Rickey, in terms of all around athleticism. To those familiar w/ the quality of athletes the East Bay has produced over the years, that's quite a compliment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Some of you just aren't cut out to follow baseball. You can't live and die second-guessing every decision for 162 games

Funny you should mention Glenn Burke.
    Not really, I lived in the Bay Area for 20 years, I remember Billy Ball and Mike Norris very well. I've heard the same about Burke.

I stand corrected there has been 2 gay baseball players that have come out in the 150 year history of this game. Wow! We need to start a movement. Maybe we could organize a boycott. This is a real problem. These poor guys couldn't tell their buddies that they have a thing for the same sex. I have never read anything so sad in my life.

Am I being fecicious? Of course but no more than the quote about bibles and Republicans. I'm sorry but I just can't see what the big deal is... Why does Bud Selig or anyone else need to do something because someone doesn't feel comfortable coming out about their sexual preference?

I still stand by what I said before... this behavior is not normal/natural. Why should it be applauded?

Well, I'm not homophobic. To be honest, I enjoy bisexual women. In fact, shower, urinal, whatever, I don't mind anyone, man or woman, looking at the third leg. Only rule different for the guys: They can look but they can't touch.

Turn Off Ads?