Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Homosexuality, baseball's biggest taboo

Originally posted by Michael Allred
    Instead of believing silly religious backed notions that being gay is a "choice", how about you actually ask a homosexual?

I'm right here, ask away! Everything you wanted to know about homosexuality but were afraid to ask!
    You've done it now, Michael. Now these guys aren't going to want to post here any more cause they are going to be worried you're gonna try to convert them or ask them out on a date or even check them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I find it rather ironic that you feel this way. You are one of the loudest voices on the board in favor of statistical evaluation of baseball. The statistical evidence that some behaviors (including homosexuality) are genetic is very strong.
    Red Heeler, you may want to check the passage you quoted from my post, because I actually do buy into the arguement that some folks may be more inclined to behavioral preferences due to hereditary genetic factors.

I'm thinking that maybe you saw a "not" between "do" and "buy" in that quote, but there wasn't one.

However, I do want to be very clear that I believe most human behavior to be choice-driven regardless of said preference predisposition, including the decision to have sex with anyone- regardless of preference.

IMO, preference is one thing. Choice is another.

I'm not suggesting that anyone choose a lifestyle of abstinence. Just pointing out that there are those who do so of their own volition regardless of their own predisposition. To me, that fully demonstrates that free will is the primary behavioral driver in all but the most extreme cases (mental handicaps, mental disease, etc.).
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Originally posted by Michael Allred
    Instead of believing silly religious backed notions that being gay is a "choice", how about you actually ask a homosexual?

I'm right here, ask away! Everything you wanted to know about homosexuality but were afraid to ask!
    That took guts, sir.

BTW- Love your work. X-Statix cracked me up. Does your wife, Laura, know?
    Last edited by SteelSD; 03-03-2004 at 12:26 AM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I can't believe some of you are that worried about a junior high mentality that you'd be afraid to shower knowing someone might be gay. Who cares? You've probably all showered in junior high, high school, the local YMCA, or whatever in front of a gay guy, and obviously you survived. I think that's a pretty irrelevant thing to be worried about.

I am of a religious background, I don't condone homosexuality, and don't agree with it. But at the same time, I also don't believe homosexuals were born with the choice. Something in their genetics or their upbringing caused their sexuality to be the way it is. I don't agree with the act of having sex with another male, but I also dont think they can just choose to be attracted to a female.

None of this should really matter. If you're in a professional work environment, you better be able to tolerate things you don't personally agree with. This would be one of them.
    "If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, why do they even keep score?"

Just curious...what is the 11th and 12th commandment?
    Paul,
    Oops -- My error. Don't know why I was thinking 12 commandments instead of 10.
    Although I really meant 10, there is a very small amount of contention in some "clumping or splitting" circles, as per:
    http://www.cin.org/mateo/9108151.html:
    Textually, there are twelve commandments if one observes only the sentence structure: vv.2-7 show the formula 'you shall not' four times; vv.8-12 are easily divided into two: "remember to keep holy..." and "honor your father..."; vv.13-17 show 6 more "you shall nots."

Originally posted by Buckaholic
    I am of a religious background, I don't condone homosexuality, and don't agree with it. But at the same time, I also don't believe homosexuals were born with the choice. Something in their genetics or their upbringing caused their sexuality to be the way it is. I don't agree with the act of having sex with another male, but I also dont think they can just choose to be attracted to a female.
    Nothing personal, but this seems to be an entirely contradictory statement. You say you think it's wrong, yet you say that they have no choice. How can that be?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

He's not contradicting himself. Being born homosexual is not a choice. Carrying out homosexual acts is a choice. Contrary to popular opinion, humans can survive without sexual intercourse, regardless of what Maslow said.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Originally posted by macro
    He's not contradicting himself. Being born homosexual is not a choice. Carrying out homosexual acts is a choice. Contrary to popular opinion, humans can survive without sexual intercourse, regardless of what Maslow said.
    Humans can survive without sunlight too. Doesn't mean I'd recommend it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If they have the right to be homos then people should have the right to be uncomfortable around them, it seems to me, the people who are so open minded about the gays are the same ones who are ridiculing the people who aren't comfortable around them.

Originally posted by Chip R
    You've done it now, Michael. Now these guys aren't going to want to post here any more cause they are going to be worried you're gonna try to convert them or ask them out on a date or even check them out.
    HAHA.

See, the funny thing is, the only evidence there is of people trying to "convert" others resides right in this very thread. Our dear christians trying to change others to *their* side.

Whoops! I guess projection doesn't only happen in theaters.

Turn Off Ads?