Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Last Cuts -- updated 3/31

Last Cuts -- updated 3/31

Well, let's have some predictions. I'll start but am never right on these things.

Olmedo, Valentin, Cruz, Christiansen get sent down. Clark and Hummel both make it. Theory is with injuries Reds need guys who can play positions, so Clark and Hummel better than Cruz and Valentin. (Freel not mentioned; now a starter.)

Van Poppel, Matthews, and Bong sent down. Reith, Riedling, Sanchez, Jones, Norton all make it joining Graves and Wagner in pen. 12 pitchers.

Unless there is a trade.

I think that gets it to 25 with Larson on DL.

Why am I wrong?
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-31-2004 at 10:56 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Last Cuts?

Reith, Riedling, Sanchez, Jones, Norton all make it joining Graves and Wagner in pen. 12 pitchers.

I don't think Riedling will make it. I think he will be sent down in favor of Van Poppel, and will then be traded probably before opening day. I heard on rotoworld.com that the Marlins are interested in him and may make an offer. I'd like Justin Wayne back in return, please.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

lets see.

i have the same first name as the reds manager so i probably should have some special insight. but i dont =(

casey
    jimenez
    larkin
    hummel
    dunn
    griffey
    kearns
    larue

lidle
    wilson
    haynes
    acevedo
    harang

graves
    reidling
    van poppel
    wagner
    norton
    sanchez

freel
    miller
    pena
    castro
    olmedo
    clark

im not sure why you break camp with 12 pitchers when it's often heard that with all the early off days one can go with 4 starters. seems contradictory to me.

Seven, good post. But if the Reds go with 11 pitchers and 6 bench players, I'd expect Valentin or Cruz to make it as a lefty pinch hitter (as VanderWal was supposed to be). I agree on the 12 pitchers, but Reds seem to want 12.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

heres is my team:

Lidle
    Wilson
    Harrang
    Acevedo
    Sanchez
    Graves
    Wagner
    Norton
    Bong
    Jones
    Van Poppel
    Reidling

Casey
    Jimenez
    Larkin
    Freel
    LaRue
    Kearns
    Griff
    Dunn
    Pena
    Clark
    Valentin/Miller (not sure yet)
    Castro
    Hummel

DL: Haynes, Larson
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seven and chang
    im not sure why you break camp with 12 pitchers when it's often heard that with all the early off days one can go with 4 starters. seems contradictory to me.
    That's sometimes true, but not this year. As I read the schedule, and including the end of spring training, the Reds only have four off days in April, including a 15-day stretch with no off day. That's about typical for a month. Which raises the question of whether Miley wants to carry 12 all year, or if this is just a "until things settle down" solution. The latter, I hope -- carrying 12 pitchers all year = trying not to overwork the bullpen = the starters are getting shelled.

Norton has pretty much stunk up the joint during ST; IMHO, he doesn't deserve to make it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Oh man do I hope Haynes is DLed, but I haven't heard that mentioned in awhile.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Jimenez
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Kearns
    Casey
    Larkin
    Freel
    LaRue

Lidle
    Wilson
    Acevedo
    Haynes
    Harang

Sanchez
    Matthews
    Riedling
    Reith
    Wagner
    not sure who i hate less...Van Poppel or Jones

Miller
    Pena
    Castro
    Cruz
    Hummel
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Can we just get rid of Haynes, please? He's a waste of a roster spot that could actually be used for someone who may be able to contribute

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Norton has pretty much stunk up the joint during ST; IMHO, he doesn't deserve to make it.
    To give him some credit, he picked it up after his first few outings. I'd keep him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think Valentin will make it--plays catcher, 1B, 3B...he's also been flawless defensively and done well with the stick. I think Hummel needs to play every day.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

All dyslexics must untie!

"he's also been flawless defensively"

Uhh, Javy had some "adventures" over at 1b during the Cleveland game. But (as I said awhile back) anyone who can help keep a 1b glove off Dunn's left hand is doing Adam a huge favor

Hummel can play everyday at Louisville, just as long as he's not blocking EdE
    Last edited by gm; 03-30-2004 at 07:41 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Can we just get rid of Haynes, please? He's a waste of a roster spot that could actually be used for someone who may be able to contribute
    I think this topic has been covered in about another 10 threads I don't think there needs to be another.

As for the roster I sure hope that hummell is not on it but my guess he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw

Amen to that, I have zero faith in that guy . He reminds me of some of those scrubs we had a few years ago when all we had to do was look to see who was pitching to tell if they would win or not the day before the game was played.

Turn Off Ads?