Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Last Cuts -- updated 3/31

Re: Last Cuts?

If Haynes has his first 3 starts like last years, the Reds should dump him immediately and bring up a young arm, they shouldn't care what the guy makes. The Reds wouldn't even have to bring up Claussen or Bong right away, they could bring up Etherton or Austin until those guys are ready. I just can't see anyone wanting to trade for a guy like Haynes at the deadline, even IF he had a decent season. Surely there will be better arms than Haynes come trade time. The guy should feel fortunate to be in ML baseball, after the horrible season and coming into ST out of shape the guy should have been shown the door right then. JMHO....I'm sure it is shared by many...

FIRST POST!!! :GAC:

2. Turn Off Ads?

Larue
    Casey
    Jimenez
    Larkin
    Freel
    Kearns
    Griffey
    Dunn

Miller
    Castro
    Hummel
    Cruz
    Pena

Lidle
    Wilson
    Acevedo
    Harang
    Haynes

Sanchez
    Van Poppel
    Reith
    Norton
    Jones
    Wagner
    Graves

Reassigned to Louisville: Olmedo, Clark, Valentin, Christensen, Bong

Released or signed to minor league contract: Matthews

Traded to Marlins: John Riedling (I'd ask for Mike Neu in return, the Reds' reliever grabbed from us last year by Oakland in the Rule 5 Draft)

On the Bubble: Hummel. He'd go down to Louisville anyway once Larson comes off the DL in April, so his spot could just be ceded to Clark or Valentin, or else a 'tweener cast off by another squad over the next week.

Likewise, if we can land Neu for Riedling, I'd think twice before elevating Jones to the 40-man roster. I recognize the rationale for carrying 12 pitchers on the staff. Our bullpen looks a little raggy and loaded with guys who have shown some promise but not so much consistency. Still, 11 pitchers ought to get us through the spring, assuming we can sound a gong and rapidly bring up a Neu-Bong from Louisville.

If we're going to pad, let's flesh out the anemic bench. Dunn's on fire, but Kearns, Griffey and Jimenez haven't exactly hit their stride as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred
    If Haynes has his first 3 starts like last years, the Reds should dump him immediately and bring up a young arm, they shouldn't care what the guy makes. The Reds wouldn't even have to bring up Claussen or Bong right away, they could bring up Etherton or Austin until those guys are ready. I just can't see anyone wanting to trade for a guy like Haynes at the deadline, even IF he had a decent season. Surely there will be better arms than Haynes come trade time. The guy should feel fortunate to be in ML baseball, after the horrible season and coming into ST out of shape the guy should have been shown the door right then. JMHO....I'm sure it is shared by many...

FIRST POST!!! :GAC:
    True, true, true, very true, and welcome!

I thnk that covers it.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Cincinnati Reds - Optioned pitcher Jung Keun Bong and infielder Tim Hummel to Louisville of the International League (AAA); assigned pitcher Mike Matthews, infielder Jacob Cruz and outfielders McKay Christensen and Jermaine Clark to minor league camp.

Valentin and Olmedo still on big club. Bong and Matthews gone to AAA, one more pitcher to go.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-31-2004 at 10:58 AM.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Last Cuts -- updated 3/31

Pena survives! I wanted Cruz to make the team, but Wily Mo is the one that can't get away.

Okay, so who is the lefty OF/PH off the bench?

Hope for Haynes to lay a stink bomb on the mound today.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan
    Hope for Haynes to lay a stink bomb on the mound today.
    I can't ever recall wishing for a Reds pitcher to get shelled, but today I will be.

Both Valentin and Olmedo should still be sent down, mind you. Especially Olmedo.

If Valentin is kept as the first base backup, that's a loss for offense (Cruz) in the name of "versatility"... how many clubs still bother with three catchers these days, especially when your other two guys are 100%?

One extra pitcher left. Would have to think Riedling trade could happen, or Van Poppel or Reith to go to AAA. Big surprise to me is that Olmedo made team over Hummel. Guess somebody wants some defense on the team. Bench is Valentin, Olmedo, Pena, Castro and Miller.

Bench is Valentin, Olmedo, Pena, Castro and Miller.
    ----

One guy that can hit. Great. Just great.

Dave Miley a guy from the day of 80's baseball. A friend to little guys with gloves all over the western hemisphere.

Code:
    BATTERS        BA   SLG   OBA   G  AB   R   H  TB 2B 3B HR RBI  BB  SO SB CS  E
    Pena         .370  .674  .408  19  46   7  17  31  3  1  3  11   2   9  0  1  2
    Olmedo       .217  .304  .294  23  46   4  10  14  2  1  0   4   5   9  1  0  1
    Valentin     .265  .429  .368  23  49   4  13  21  2  0  2   5   8   4  0  0  3
    Castro       .264  .396  .286  20  53   4  14  21  0  2  1   7   2   9  0  0  3

:dflynn: :al_cohol:

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Bench is Valentin, Olmedo, Pena, Castro and Miller.
    ----

One guy that can hit. Great. Just great.

Reds set up roster as if Larue (or possibly Miller) will be traded soon.

You might be right princeton, though I think Miley just sent a clear message that he values position flexibility/pinch bunting above bolstering the hitting.

A glaring fault, IMO.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?