Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Last Cuts -- updated 3/31

Re: Last Cuts -- updated 3/31

Doesn't Olmedo have to make the team with Larkin probably sitting out at least one game a week? Plus, you have to consider that one bench player is going to start in the early going in Freel. But a weak bench is no surprise, but I'm not sure I understand Cruz not making the team. Can someone enlighten me there?

I also don't see Bong and Claussen long for AAA. I am glad Norton was selected in the end over Matthews, who just had an awful spring. Maybe he can get it back together in AAA. He is a known quantity and hopefully he just picked the wrong time to struggle. That also keeps Sanchez in the mix. I just wish they would flip flop Haynes and Sanchez for the rotation and bullpen. Or, put Sanchez in the rotation, release Haynes, and bring up Bong for the second lefty in the pen. I also expect and hope to see Riedling go, no love lost there, he just walks too many for my tastes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    Reds set up roster as if Larue (or possibly Miller) will be traded soon.
    Reidling or Reith, too. Can't imagine there being a trade market for Van Poppel or Jones as they were freely available not too long ago.

It looks like Miley thinks he needs Olmedo up to b/u Larkin and Barry leaving yesterday's game with a tweak probably influenced the decision, but they pay Castro good money and, as long as he's around, why carry another iffy stick?

Rey's probably up only until Larson returns. At least that's my guess.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I agree with you, princeton, but who is out there that is need of a catcher. I don't recall hearing any teams' starting catcher or backup catcher being lost for the season. The only one I can think of that is a ? is Arizona's Rob Hammock and he played in the outfield in a minor league game the other day, although I don't think he's ready to catch yet after knee surgery. Arizona still has Brent Mayne and Bobby Estelella, though so I don't know who else there is...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I don't think they'll trade a catcher. Valentin didn't catch much this spring, is mostly a switch hitting pinch hitter who plays a couple of positions.

Also have to guess that when Larson comes back, Olmedo will go down, to avoid a glut of infielders. That will help the bench (Freel over Olmedo).

Other possibility is Riedling trade. Maybe Reds will get a bench player instead of a kid pitcher, if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    It looks like Miley thinks he needs Olmedo up to b/u Larkin and Barry leaving yesterday's game with a tweak probably influenced the decision, but they pay Castro good money and, as long as he's around, why carry another iffy stick?

Rey's probably up only until Larson returns. At least that's my guess.
    Oops, how could I forget Juan. Now the Cruz demotion makes even less sense.

Time is the Revelator.

No, not really. Valentine can play 1st and 3rd. He is not just a catcher. He made the team because he can hit alittle and can play different positions.

Valentine can play 1st and 3rd.
    Can he play 3rd? has he ever for the Reds? He never played it anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    No, not really. Valentine can play 1st and 3rd. He is not just a catcher.
    Yes, really. He hits very little, even for a catcher. His only value is as a backup catcher, not as a backup anything else

You might be right princeton, though I think Miley just sent a clear message that he values position flexibility/pinch bunting above bolstering the hitting.

A glaring fault, IMO.
    Maybe he just has a lot of faith in Dunn?

It boggles the mind that Valentine was kept up and Cruz goes down. 3 catchers is ludicrous. At least he didn't try to put Pena on waivers.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Can he play 3rd? has he ever for the Reds? He never played it anywhere else.
    I got it from this board, so don't ask me.

Then I guess he doesn't.

All dyslexics must untie!

I think Miley just sent a clear message that he values position flexibility/pinch bunting above bolstering the hitting.
    You shoulda seen this coming. Dave is an old-school Mgr, and Valentin is a classic 25th man on a NL roster.

I never saw Javy make a play at 3rd base, but I suspect the Red's coaches felt he could pick-n-huck-it at least as good as Hummel (that wouldn't be hard)
    Last edited by gm; 03-31-2004 at 12:24 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

He was working out at third in ST earlier, but I don't remember him actually getting into a game there. I know he did play first several times.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    He was working out at third in ST earlier, but I don't remember him actually getting into a game there. I know he did play first several times.
    Javy played 1b a lot, BMO. Much more than he caught, at least during GFL game action.
    Never overlook the obvious

Turn Off Ads?