Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Last Cuts -- updated 3/31

Re: Last Cuts -- updated 3/31

I think Miley just sent a clear message that he values position flexibility/pinch bunting above bolstering the hitting.
    Player P GP GS AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI AVG TB SLG%

Ray Olmedo SS 23 0 46 4 10 2 1 0 4 .217 14 .304

Juan Castro 2B 20 0 53 4 14 0 2 1 7 .264 21 .396

Jacob Cruz RF 24 0 59 6 16 3 0 2 7 .271 25 .424

Corky Miller C 16 0 42 6 12 3 0 1 8 .286 18 .429

Tim Hummel 3B 20 0 51 5 16 3 0 0 7 .314 19 .373

Javier Valentin C 23 0 49 4 13 2 0 2 5 .265 21 .429

You're correct because of the above candidates Olmedo had the worst ST numbers, and Hummel looked like he can handle 3B or 2B, which is why I thought they had been giving D'Angelo a few SS innings. Ray even looked more unsteady on defense than in '03. Castro and Jimenez should have been sufficient backup for Larkin, with Hummel and Freel thrown into the 2B mix.

It's interesting that Miley has chosen to keep a couple of switch -- pardon the expression -- hitters for the bench. Although Valentin does at least drive the ball from gap to gap in BP.

I think that if Cruz had had a better ST he'd have stayed considering that Miley has batted him in the middle of the Bats' lineup, but he K'ed too many times against righty pitching and was too easily doubled up on grounders with a runner on first.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I knew it was coming, but seriously, that is an expansion team bench. Just putrid. And thats counting Freel, whom I love (in a manly, baseball type way, not that there's anything wrong with that)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Bench is Valentin, Olmedo, Pena, Castro and Miller.
    ----

One guy that can hit. Great. Just great.

Nice! A 5 man bench..
    Its good to see that besides Kearns, Dunn, Griff.. the only real OF is Pena???
    I suppose Freel can be considered there too, but if he's starting at 3B, shouldn't we have another backup OF?

If you're going to keep Valentin, then get rid of Corky. As much as I like him, three catchers doesn't make sense, especially when you are carrying 12 pitchers!!!

Let's see...

Two backup catchers, two punch-and-judy middle infielders, an extra bullpen arm seeing as how the April game schedule is so intense.

Geesh! Is this an unbalanced squad or what? Not that Cruz or Clark were blistering the ball all spring, but to go into the season without a legitimate LH stick off the bench is plumb crazy. Valentin doesn't cut the mustard here, as any examination of his career stats will clearly attest.

Let's hope a trade is in the works or a wire-waiver pickup that might justify holding back non-roster invitees like Cruz or Clark in favor of bringing up both Olmedo and Castro to back up Larkin. You would think the old man hadn't just winced running to 1B, but was already hobbling around on two crutches.

Strike one against Dave Miley.

OK, I take back my praise for Miley's decision making. Hard to believe he passed over both Cruz and Clark (both whom are versatile) to carry a couple redundancies (2 backup catchers and 2 light hitting SS).

Even considering that Olmedo is going north due to Larson's injury, this bench is awful.

I wish I could figure out why Miley is enamoured with a Valentin. Must be that he can technically man a couple positions and can hit (term used very loosely) from both sides of the plate.

Vary rarely have I seen a bench that actually projects to give an opponent's bullpen more confidence with the game on the line. This one qualifies. Ick.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I am surprised Hummel was sent down instead of Olmedo. He at least gives a bit of a chance for an extra base hit as a PH or late inning replacement.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Rey's probably up only until Larson returns. At least that's my guess.
    My guess to, Ray goes down if Larson comes back. My original thought was Hummel would be that guy.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Valentin doesn't bother me as much as Olmedo. I would have preferred any of Cruz, Clark or Hummel over Olmedo. With a bench that already includes Juan Castro, what value does Olmedo bring? At least Cruz and Clark have a chance at the plate. Even O'Brien said a couple months ago that Olmedo needed more seasoning in the minors. What happened this spring to change that impression???????

The more I think about it, I would have kept any two of Cruz, Clark or Hummel over Valentin and Olmedo. Bad decision by O'Brien and Miley IMO. Do they watch these games?

I wonder if Clark's injury yesterday was a factor???

Rotoworld.com:

Reds optioned INF Tim Hummel and LHP Jung Bong to Triple-A Louisville.

Concerns over Hummel's defense appear to be what got him banished from the roster. Ray Olmedo might be kept as a backup until Brandon Larson returns. Bong will be used as a starting pitcher at Louisville.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by balk
    Bad decision by O'Brien and Miley IMO. Do they watch these games?
    They not only watch the games, but they also are privy to things that we as fans do not, which sometimes has us all scratching our heads until more information comes to light. Sometimes, like in the Boone era, more information never came to light because the moves were just dumb, but I'll trust they know something we don't at this point. Another thing to keep in mind is that opening day rosters are minor worries--its how long you stay with those who turned out to be ST fool's gold or they figure out that it was just made a bonehead decision that makes the difference.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I understand about Olmedo. He'll be back in AAA in a few weeks. Valentin is the guy that pisses me off. He has very little to offer this club. Another club, maybe, but not this one. One look at this set of numbers and you'll know you don't want Wily Mo (promising, still bad plate discipline) and Valentin being our eighth-inning hammers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/valenja01.shtml

You want guys who can strike a little fear in pitchers' hearts, not mirth. Where's Russ Branyan when you need him?

Guess Valentin is in the VanderWal slot. Now's when we pay the price for shoveling incident.

If Reds pick up another bench player, I'd guess it will be to replace Valentin.

I have a hunch the Reds front office will be watching the waiver wire very closely the next few days.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?