Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Stop the FCC

  1. #16
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: Stop the FCC

    Where did I find "Right of war dead's family to see relative's name announced nationally" in the Bill of Rights?

    I understand the pain that these families have but there is a point where a media group can decide what to air based on their own convictions. Thats what a free market is about. Some dont agree, that's fine.

    I sense some are insinuating that Sinclair doesnt have the right not to air something on their stations.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member Red Heeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: Stop the FCC

    Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Its just not allowing ABC to "Vietnamitize the Iraq war" on their airwaves.
    Oh, the Iraq War is doing a fine job of Vietnamitizing itself.

    I do agree with your point, though. Sinclair owns the stations. They can broadcast whatever the heck they do or don't want within legal limits.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,230

    Re: Stop the FCC

    He doesn't own the airwaves, he conditionally rents them from the Federal Government. The conditions are that he serves the community.

    Apparently he'd rather serve Bush.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  5. #19
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: Stop the FCC

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    He doesn't own the airwaves, he conditionally rents them from the Federal Government. The conditions are that he serves the community.

    Apparently he'd rather serve Bush.
    Fed Gov. doesnt "own the airwaves". They regulate it. There is nothing about Sinclairs move that is cowing to the gov, rather they are going with what they, as an organization feels is right. Right or wrong to anyone here, its within their right.

    Who is this "he" you speak of? And the condition isnt to "serve the community". Thats socialism. PBS and NPR is supposed to serve the community, Sinclair is in it to make money like any other private venture. With this in mind, they can also decide what goes out of their stations. They can even deny showing the State of the Union if they want, but thats just not good for ratings.

  6. #20
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: Stop the FCC

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Oh, the Iraq War is doing a fine job of Vietnamitizing itself.

    I do agree with your point, though. Sinclair owns the stations. They can broadcast whatever the heck they do or don't want within legal limits.
    Yea, the similiarities are eery... John Kerry is still making an ass out of himself on national TV.... some things never change.

  7. #21
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,453

    Re: Stop the FCC

    Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Where did I find "Right of war dead's family to see relative's name announced nationally" in the Bill of Rights?
    I didn't say "right," I said "chance." It's an issue of ethics and morality, not an issue of law. Sinclair has the "right" to use the airwaves that the government has licensed them to use. Along with that license comes an obligation to use the airwaves in the public interest. Some of us think that the interests of at least one particular segment of the public (families of war dead) are being overlooked here - you and Sinclair do not. I get that. Those who disagree have the right to complain to the FCC and their local Sinclair station.

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,230

    Re: Stop the FCC

    There is nothing about Sinclairs move that is cowing to the gov, rather they are going with what they, as an organization feels is right.
    Because there was such an outcry by the families who hated to see their sons and daughters honored?
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  9. #23
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: Stop the FCC

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    Because there was such an outcry by the families who hated to see their sons and daughters honored?
    Doesnt matter what the public perceives. I didnt know Sinclair has to take a poll before applying policy to their stations.

  10. #24
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: Stop the FCC

    Some of us think that the interests of at least one particular segment of the public (families of war dead) are being overlooked here - you and Sinclair do not. I get that. Those who disagree have the right to complain to the FCC and their local Sinclair station.
    Ok, like I said, you are free to disagree with Sinclairs decision. However what one believes is a public service to those fallen in combat could also be viewed as harmful to the morale for those who are still in combat. When will Ted Koppel reel off every single accomplishment these great men did? Morale is important to these types of conflicts and to just paint their current situation as death death death, it will effect their ability to be successful and also our country as a whole to support their noble cause.

    The lack of positive stories tells me one of two things; Nothing good is happening or nothng good is being reported. I can't believe for a second nothing good is happening.

  11. #25
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,453

    Re: Stop the FCC

    This should help.

    http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...cKWHm4,00.html

    After Michael Powell
    January*21,*2005;*Page*A8

    The bad news is that we are told that Michael Powell, one of Washington's better bureaucrats, is calling it quits today after four years at the helm of the Federal Communications Commission. You read it here first. The good news is that his exit affords the Bush Administration an opportunity to re-evaluate its stepchild treatment of telecom policy.

    Given the media coverage, you might think Mr. Powell's tenure has been about little more than Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunctions and Howard Stern's potty mouth. In fact, Mr. Powell has spent the past four years focused on much more substantive matters regarding the government's role in overseeing a telecommunications sector that has never been more dynamic.

    This is Mr. Powell's proper legacy, and if he failed to reach all of his goals, some of the blame rests with a White House that never fully grasped telecom's potential to drive economic growth. Between 1989 and 2001, labor productivity in telecom grew annually by an average of more than 3%, versus a 1.6% pace in the overall nonfarm economy. Information technology alone was responsible for nearly two-thirds of the rise in labor productivity in the late 1990s.

    After the tech bubble burst and mild recession, however, billions of capital investment dollars retreated to the sidelines. Only during the final months of the Presidential campaign did Mr. Bush begin making noises about clearing away "the regulatory underbrush" that was holding back the venture capitalists and faster broadband deployment, among other things.

    Mr. Powell's deregulatory instincts led him to make broadband development and deployment a priority. By declaring cable modem an "information service" in 2002, the FCC was able to block efforts to apply the entire telephone regulation boondoggle to new broadband technologies. Last November, the FCC accomplished a similar goal with respect to VOIP, which enables consumers to make phone calls over the Internet.

    The White House ultimately abandoned Mr. Powell when he tried to update media ownership rules in response to a federal court decision that found the current regulations "arbitrary and capricious and contrary to law." The Administration agreed with the Chairman in principle but went soft after Democrats and liberal interest groups complained that revisions might allow Rupert Murdoch to own a couple more TV stations.

    Mr. Powell's battle royale, however, surrounded his efforts to address the make-believe "competition" spawned by the 1996 Telecom Act, which forced the Baby Bells to unbundle their local phone networks and lease them to rivals at discount rates. The requirements, supported by AT&T and others that subsequently built business models around this subsidy, have depressed investment and limited consumer choice.

    The FCC unbundling decision last month split the baby; it phases out some of these rules by 2006 but not all of them, so more litigation is a possibility. And the ruling itself came at least 18 months too late, thanks in part to opposition from Mr. Powell's fellow Republican Commissioner Kevin Martin.

    This brings us to the matter of potential replacements for the Chairman at the five-member agency, and whether President Bush will squander an opportunity to start taking telecom more seriously. The White House decision last month to renominate Democratic Commissioner and Tom Daschle-protege Jonathan Adelstein was not a good start, to say the least, since he and fellow Democratic Commissioner Michael Copps are reliable opponents of genuine competition.

    Mr. Martin is gunning for Chairmanship, but his decision in the unbundling fight to put personal ambition above good policy split the Commission and helped extend the telecom depression. The last thing Mr. Bush should want is to repeat the mistake of putting Republicans in a de facto minority position at the agency. The next Chairman not only needs Mr. Powell's instincts and vision but also a Commission that will follow his lead.

    Other names mentioned for the post include Becky Klein, a former head of the Texas Public Utility Commission; Michael Gallagher of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration; and Janice Obuchowski, a telecom consultant who served in the Commerce Department under Mr. Bush's father. Someone like former Interstate Commerce Commission Chairman Darius Gaskins or former Federal Trade Commission Chairman Jim Miller also would be an excellent choice to keep the FCC on a deregulatory path.

    Mr. Powell spent four years as an FCC Commissioner before taking over the agency in 2001. So it's easy to believe that after eight years he's ready for some new challenges, probably in the private sector. We hope the Administration hasn't taken him for granted and is up to the challenge of a worthy replacement.
    /r/reds

  12. #26
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,680

    Re: Stop the FCC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    yep (well, anything short of porn). i follow the Sensible Don plan...if you don't like it, change the channel.
    What about when something is sprung on you that you didn't expect, and shouldn't have to see? (ex- the Janet Jackson episode). How are you suppose to be prepared for that?

    I agree that it's up to the individual (especially parents) to monitor what comes into their homes. We do. But that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be regulation and guidelines set by such organizations as the FCC.

    I'm one who believes that if there weren't those guidelines then the networks would consistently be pushing that envelop further and further. I say that as one who is of the "older generation" and who has seen the language and conduct on television getting progressively worse. They refuse to "police", monitor themselves.

    I liken it alot to what is going on on this side of the forum right now with the political/religious threads. If the people on here would "police" themselves then it would make the job of the moderators alot easier, and they wouldn't have to put the "squeeze" down and exercise their authority. But alas, we see the need for moderators.

    If the FCC is such a restricting and censorship organization then why is there so much allowed on TV now? And lets be honest.... there is alot on TV now (language, etc) that wasn't permissible years ago.

    How does the Jerry Springer show survive?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  13. #27
    Time is the Revelator. LvJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    7,281

    Re: Stop the FCC

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I'm one who believes that if there weren't those guidelines then the networks would consistently be pushing that envelop further and further.
    :fineprint

    Totally agree.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

  14. #28
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,680

    Re: Stop the FCC

    If you dare someone to "step across this line", then most likely they are gonna do it.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  15. #29
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,453

    Re: Stop the FCC

    The broadcast networks envy the programming on HBO and Showtime, because it can be edgy in ways that their programming cannot. Jeff Zucker, the head of NBC, remarked a couple of years back that he would like to have a show like "The Sopranos" on his network. Obviously, there are viewers who want this, because the ratings for new episodes of "The Sopranos" sometimes exceed the ratings of the broadcast networks.

    I'm not saying that HBO's shows belong on broadcast TV, just that that's the direction the networks want to go. This FCC has been aggressive about stopping them from going that way.
    /r/reds

  16. #30
    Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bexley OH
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Stop the FCC

    Another reason sinclair sucks...

    We cannot get Fox or ABC in HD here on Time Warner Cable, because Sinclair owns the only Fox and ABC stations in columbus.

    The reason?

    Sinclair refuses to allow TWC to broadcast their HD feed unless an additional cost is paid per user.

    So essentially, we get no Buckeye games in HD, and no Fox NFL or baseball games either. It really sucks.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25