Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sportscenter comments

Re: Sportscenter comments

Rush wasn't fired from ESPN. He resigned, and willingly from what I understand.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Rush wasn't fired from ESPN. He resigned, and willingly from what I understand.
    But can we still hate ESPN?

Good points. I ocassionally watch sportscenter, but rarely an entire show, just bits and parts of it usually late at night or while I'm getting ready for work in the morning. Anymore though, in the morning I just listen to the Mike and Mike show, its somewhat entertaining. But, I have waited many times for the teasers they do, where they show your favorite team whether it be baseball, football, etc. and keep you waiting, commercial 1, and waiting, commercial 2, and waiting commercial 3, and then its a 15 second story..

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

But if ESPN didn't promote their big games, some of us might forget to watch the stuff that a large portion of our cable bill goes to help them buy the rights for!

no, actually

I know one thing (and this isn't about Sports Center) but I am sick to death already of the Giants games dominating ESPN. They even get the game on Sunday night.

Why can't they just break in with Bonds' at bats? I guess ESPN has become the Giants network.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

ESPN has it's place w/me, but granted it's place is narrowing. For me it has started also with the personalities dominating the games and the shticks that everyone has to have. I like personalities to an extent, but when they dominate what they are supposed to eb reporting (or even discussing) then they go way overboard. ESPN is incredibly guilty of this IMO. They assinine airs of Mark May on ESPN GameDay actually made me turn of what was once one of my favorite sports-related shows. Those attitudes just ruin it for me.

The "other shows" that they have aired hold no interest of mine. I'd prefer to know that when I turn on ESPN I am going to get sports news or sports. If they go any farther with the reality show crap, I'l be very disgusted.

And I agree 100% about the Giants, TB.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

BTW - I don't get ESPN News yet. Sounds like something I need to look into...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    BTW - I don't get ESPN News yet. Sounds like something I need to look into...
    I've only seen ESPN News a few times over at my mother's when I'm on vacation. Can't say I'm a big fan. The concept is good but the execution isn't. I'm usually looking for scores on there and it takes 5 minutes to go from one score to another because they are showing what every freaking player in that game did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I posted in a nother thread that I yanked cable form the house last summer and odnt miss it at all - certainly dont miss SportsCenter. I will say that I wish I had ESPN news available without going through 'digital upgrades", etc.
    Hey, me too. TV makes you dumber. I'm using MLB.TV for Reds footage (not live, unfortunately), and I don't miss cable TV a bit. Now, of course, I'm a big game geek anyway, and you could argue that time spent watching cable television and time spent playing games is similarly wasted, but I turn my rationalizations into good soundbites.

On a related note... remember when the Reds were on regular ol' TV? Will they have to win the World Series again before that happens? I knew the Fox Sports Ohio contract should be expiring soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    On a related note... remember when the Reds were on regular ol' TV? Will they have to win the World Series again before that happens? I knew the Fox Sports Ohio contract should be expiring soon...
    Yeah, ironic ain't it? When I was growing up on 20 acres outside of an incredily small (300-ish pop.) hick-town (affectionately termed) in NW Ohio, I saw more Reds games on TV (WLIO in Lima) than I have since I moved to the cable age/locale.

RedDragon

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    ESPN has it's place w/me, but granted it's place is narrowing. For me it has started also with the personalities dominating the games and the shticks that everyone has to have. I like personalities to an extent, but when they dominate what they are supposed to eb reporting (or even discussing) then they go way overboard. ESPN is incredibly guilty of this IMO. They assinine airs of Mark May on ESPN GameDay actually made me turn of what was once one of my favorite sports-related shows. Those attitudes just ruin it for me.

The "other shows" that they have aired hold no interest of mine. I'd prefer to know that when I turn on ESPN I am going to get sports news or sports. If they go any farther with the reality show crap, I'l be very disgusted.

And I agree 100% about the Giants, TB.
    Peter "open mouth insert foot" Gammons is the worst of them all.

speaking of Sportscenter...did anybody play in the Reds/Cubs game last night except Sosa?

Quote Originally Posted by MuEconRedLeg
    speaking of Sportscenter...did anybody play in the Reds/Cubs game last night except Sosa?
    This is what I was going to say. Seeing the highlights you would have thought the Cubs aka Sosa would have won. The Reds played well and got a great start from a youngster and a nice 3IP from the pen and Casey should be one of the candidates for player of the week right now, but the focus was on the Cubbies. That being said if the Reds did make a run and say were in 1st in a month or two you would see more coverage. ESPN follows the hot players and hot teams because that's what they think the majority want to see. I mean I don't have to watch every Bonds AB live, but isn't tv amazing you can do this now. Pretty cool none the less.

I haven't watched a Sportscenter since the old Patrick, Olberman, Kilborn, Mayne days. There used to be a time when Stuart Scott was tolerable, but those days are long gone.

I don't get ESPN News, so I don't know what I'm missing there.

Yes, I still remember Johnny Bench and Gordy Coleman on the Reds TV network on CBS. Goodtimes.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Anybody catch the latest Sportscenter piece on the homeless guy that lives on Palmetto Golf Course? They are making a case that he should be able to squat at the golf course. Why is this even a story on ESPN?
    I agree - ESPNews is the way to go.

Turn Off Ads?