Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Need to Draft Stephen Drew

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We Need to Draft Stephen Drew

Our MIF situation has become much worse than our starting pitching situation. We have a surplus of pretty good pitchers in the minors now, with the likes of Bong, Belisle, Moseley, Claussen, Nelson, and that's just the pitchers that are higher up in the farm system.

But our MIF situation is pitiful. We currently have a 40 year old starting for us at short, and the heir replacement(s) are Juan Castro clones waiting to happen, except with a more unconsistent glove(s).

Come June and the MLB Amateur Draft, some, no many, say we need to draft a SP. Well, I can agree with that. But I think we might be better off going with Stephen Drew, the top SS entering the draft.

He'll be a good fielder and a good hitter, and could end up being a Nomar Garciaparra clone. And, since he's a college player, he could be ready by halfway though next seaosn, if not sooner.

With our current shortstop situation, I'd highly suggest we go with Drew. Ofcourse, it's just my opinion.

Re: We Need to Draft Stephen Drew

New to the board, but have lurked for some time.

It would be hard to pass up the quality pitching in this years draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon
    Our MIF situation has become much worse than our starting pitching situation. We have a surplus of pretty good pitchers in the minors now, with the likes of Bong, Belisle, Moseley, Claussen, Nelson, and that's just the pitchers that are higher up in the farm system.

But our MIF situation is pitiful. We currently have a 40 year old starting for us at short, and the heir replacement(s) are Juan Castro clones waiting to happen, except with a more unconsistent glove(s).

Come June and the MLB Amateur Draft, some, no many, say we need to draft a SP. Well, I can agree with that. But I think we might be better off going with Stephen Drew, the top SS entering the draft.

He'll be a good fielder and a good hitter, and could end up being a Nomar Garciaparra clone. And, since he's a college player, he could be ready by halfway though next seaosn, if not sooner.

With our current shortstop situation, I'd highly suggest we go with Drew. Ofcourse, it's just my opinion.

I agree, if Drew is there we should HIGHLY consider drafting him. Who is available FA wise next year at SS?
    And this one belongs to the Reds

Welcome to the board.

As far as drafting pitchers, the only pitcher I might consider would be the Rice pitchers, but if it comes down to Drew or Matt Bush over Jeremy Sowers, im definitely voting SS.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

If it's a SS you want, I'd look at Chris Nelson. He's got a lot bigger upside than Drew. He might not be ready as quick, but when you are drafting as high as the Reds are, you need to go for the big bang.

I suspect that Drew will be a 3B in the majors. He just doesn't seem to have the range or smoothness of a good SS to me. Also, I suspect that he may be like big brother and ask for a huge bonus.

I'm still hoping that Nieman slides to the Reds slot in the draft. I think he has the potential to be a steal. I'd be happy with any of the Rice pitchers if Nelson is off the board. I'd also take Sowers over Drew. I'm hopeful that Weaver is off the board by the time the Reds pick because I think that he and Drew are the flavor of the month with no real staying power.

Is there a good place to find info about the MLB draft? I know the Reds draft fairly high this year...but my attempts to even find out the draft selection order have gone fruitless.

Is there a good site that specializes in the MLB draft?

Why is the MLB draft such a secret?
    There and Back Again...

Quote Originally Posted by Slider
    Is there a good place to find info about the MLB draft? I know the Reds draft fairly high this year...but my attempts to even find out the draft selection order have gone fruitless.

Is there a good site that specializes in the MLB draft?

Why is the MLB draft such a secret?
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/

They're phenomenal.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I might be wrong, but I think that if a player is drafted out of high school, and decides not to sign, then he has to inform the commissioner's office whether he will allow that team to draft him again.

For example, Sowers would have to King Bud's office know if it is OK for the Reds to draft him again, or if he is exempt from being selected by them.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I kind of hate to say it, seeing that I went to FSU and "Dirt" is one of my favorites to come through there, but based on the trend, he got some of his body parts from the same discount bin as his older brother. This year's rash of injuries and ineffectiveness hasn't helped him at all. I think he can play the position and he'll hit, but he isn't the all-but-sure thing he was a year or two ago. Some folks down there aren't even convinced he's going in the first round unless he stays healthy the rest of the year.

But then, he's hit four dingers in the first two games of the Miami series, so he might be coming around. :GAC:

Will all 3 of the Rice pitchers be gone by #7? I'm guessing Niemann is the better of the 3, he would be my choice. And about Sowers, is he a junior at Vandy? If so, would he do the same to the Reds, (if drafted by them), like he did after he finished high school? That would be my concern about him.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Some folks down there aren't even convinced he's going in the first round unless he stays healthy the rest of the year.
    Now that changes things a bunch. Drew v.2.0 I would love as an early second round pick. I'd be perfectly happy with him as a mid-late first round guy. I think that his stick is for real. My problem with him is that I don't see him as a good big league SS and that whole familial health problem that he has working against him.

If the Reds could manage to pull out Neiman and Drew with their top two picks, I couldn't be any happier with the first draft of the DO'B era.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Now that changes things a bunch. Drew v.2.0 I would love as an early second round pick. I'd be perfectly happy with him as a mid-late first round guy. I think that his stick is for real. My problem with him is that I don't see him as a good big league SS and that whole familial health problem that he has working against him.
    It's the health thing I'm most concerned about, along with everyone else. You might be right about him not being a good (i.e. above average) defensive shortstop in the majors, but if he hits like he can, he can be merely acceptable with the glove and still provide good value to a team.

General consensus seems to be that we'll have better and/or less risky options on the board at #7 and Drew will be gone by the time our next pick comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    It's the health thing I'm most concerned about, along with everyone else. You might be right about him not being a good (i.e. above average) defensive shortstop in the majors, but if he hits like he can, he can be merely acceptable with the glove and still provide good value to a team.

General consensus seems to be that we'll have better and/or less risky options on the board at #7 and Drew will be gone by the time our next pick comes around.
    I see Drew as an Aaron Boone type defender. He'll make a heck of an athletic 3B but a merely adequate SS. If he can OPS in the high .700 to .800 that does make him a decent value at SS even if his fielding is only adequate. I've got bigger sights than that. I've been lucky to see the Reds have two of the best all-around SS in the game during my lifetime. I'm spoiled. I don't want to see the string broken by a compromise.

I'm in the Nelson camp myself.

SS is a definite need, and you can find good pitchers in the next couple of rounds. A no brainer offensive SS that can pick it is, well a no brainer.

Take the best player available, and I don't think those Rice pitchers will be there come the number seven pick.

M2 started a really nice thread about this a few months ago. It really changed my mind about the draft.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

not trying to sound ignorant, but who is Nelson? Drew, I've heard of, but Nelson, not.

Turn Off Ads?