Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Berroa vs. Cintron

Berroa vs. Cintron

The career numbers:
    G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
    170 556 84 168 33 7 14 59 257 45 48 2 3 .355 .462 .302 Cintron
    199 718 111 200 38 8 17 82 305 40 123 26 5 .330 .425 .279 Berroa

Who will prove to be the better fantasy SS, Angel Berroa or Alex Cintron?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Berroa vs. Cintron

Equal power, Ob% both in hitters parks. Angel has speed and plays for an aggessive manager, if you count steals he goes a little higher.

SaboFan. I myself am debating this very thing on one of my teams. I have Cintron on my roster now. Someone waived Angel Berroa. I am debating what to do. Berroa steals a LOT more bases than Cintron. Cintron's advantage? He K's a LOT less than Berroa. I think I'm going to drop Cintron and pick up Berroa, though because my team is lacking speed and Berroa will provide it. Berroa is off to a slow start but he HR'd today off of Loaiza. I could really use those steals, and I'm guessing that Berroa scores a lot more runs than Cintron this year as well.

All in all, the decision I've come to is that they are actually pretty close in value, with Cintron striking out less, and probably having a higher OBP and SLG. Berroa will score more runs, steal more bases, and probably hit more HR. The other numbers will be pretty even.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 04-13-2004 at 03:04 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Berroa has a HR today.

westofyou, why is it that Cintron had 26 2B, 6 3B, and 13 HR and Berroa had 28 2B, 7 3B, and 17 HR, yet he had a lower SLG% than Cintron .489 to .452. Is it because Cintron put up those numbers in 448 AB's compared to Berroa's 567? Or is it because Cintron gets more hits overall? or both? I always thought SLG% was weighted heavier for extra base hits...can you explain that to me?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Berroa had an extra 148 more PA's and 21 more hits, but only 7 more EBH. Cintron averaged .502 for bases per plate apperance and Berroa .492.

The formula is (TB+BB+HBP+SB-CS-GIDP)/(AB+BB+HBP+SF)

One thing about Cintron is he hit above his batting average norm, so he carried alot of weight in that, if he can't duplicate the BA he might take a hit, Berroa's BA was .287, so he did a little more when he wasn't hitting the ball. and .287 isn't the top of the ladder either he's more likely to improve on that than Cintron on his .317.

Is it because Cintron put up those numbers in 448 AB's compared to Berroa's 567?
    Exactly. Cintron put up those numbers in fewer ABs, so his Slugging *Percentage* is higher, even though his raw totals aren't.

FWIW, Cintron is eligible at both 3B and SS in most leagues, which can be very handy if you're short on roster space. Plus, odds are he will get more RBI opportunities batting 5th for Arizona than Berroa will get batting at the top of the Royals lineup.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Berroa had an extra 148 more PA's and 21 more hits, but only 7 more EBH. Cintron averaged .502 for bases per plate apperance and Berroa .492.

The formula is (TB+BB+HBP+SB-CS-GIDP)/(AB+BB+HBP+SF)

One thing about Cintron is he hit above his batting average norm, so he carried alot of weight in that, if he can't duplicate the BA he might take a hit, Berroa's BA was .287, so he did a little more when he wasn't hitting the ball. and .287 isn't the top of the ladder either he's more likely to improve on that than Cintron on his .317.

Your brain continues to amaze me. :eek2: Thank you.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Wasn't Berroa hitting out of the 6th or 7th spot in the order last year to help him get the 73 RBI he put up last year? If so, how many RBI do you expect Berroa to pile up this year? Also, about Cintron hitting 5th, I've heard many news sources say that Cintron is mis-cast as a 5 hole hitter and that they wouldn't be surprised to see him moved down in the order to put Finley 5th or Hillenbrand 5th to give Sexson more protection. If that happens, Cintron's RBI opportunities could take a big hit, so watch for that. Say "Sexson more protection" to yourself a couple times, its fun.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Cintron has 3B eligibility as well, that Berroa does not. That helps his case a little.

Here's another variable to add to the original question: if you had a choice between Cintron, Berroa and Kaz Matsui, who would you choose? Matsui is off to a good start, but over the entire season who out of the three is the best bet?
    Last edited by Sabo Fan; 04-14-2004 at 01:59 AM.

Turn Off Ads?