Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AVG Anti-Virus

AVG Anti-Virus

Who all uses this? I've heard alot about it in the past, so I thought I'd give the free version a whirl on my kid's computer. They had Norton's, but as of late I've been having problems with it losing some of it's configuration files for no apparent reason, so I got fed up and jerked it off their computer.

Any special features I should know about AVG?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AVG Anti-Virus

Used it in the past on my old PC, seemed to work, but eventually bought McAfee.

It's engine runs McAfee. Ironic huh?

definitions come out usually half hour earlier than McAfee too (or so I'm told) The free edition works great.

never pay for what is free.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Retired

I've been using AVG on all my PC's for a long time now, NEVER had any problems with it. Like you I had been using Nortons, but it's a resource hog and at one point was causing Windows to crash several times a day.

You can't go wrong with AVG.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I have AVG but my homepage is still currently hijacked...I downloded a hijack stopper, but then everytime I log on, I get to see "yumgo's" ad telling me my homepage is safe.

Norton told me a few days ago I had a "bloodhound" virus, and ever since the computer has been running just awful. I tried to restore to an earlier date but the system keeps saying this is not possible.

If anyone has an idea what to do, let me know.

I use sophos if I have my druthers.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    losing some of it's configuration files for no apparent reason,
    Nortons is not causing that problem. Anyone been downloading and then uninstalling on that computer, and when Windows shoots up the little popup about whether you want to keep this share file or not, is someone making a mistake and telling it NO.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    I have AVG but my homepage is still currently hijacked...I downloded a hijack stopper, but then everytime I log on, I get to see "yumgo's" ad telling me my homepage is safe.

Norton told me a few days ago I had a "bloodhound" virus, and ever since the computer has been running just awful. I tried to restore to an earlier date but the system keeps saying this is not possible.

Run Hijack-this and post the file on the Hijack boards and let them take a look at it. Or you could always reformat.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Run Hijack-this and post the file on the Hijack boards and let them take a look at it. Or you could always reformat.
    absolutely. best thing to do barring a reformat.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Parents run it, they love it
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    Nortons is not causing that problem. Anyone been downloading and then uninstalling on that computer, and when Windows shoots up the little popup about whether you want to keep this share file or not, is someone making a mistake and telling it NO.
    Ah! I don't see how that could be happening in this household with two teenagers who seem to think they can go anywhere on the internet with impunity, and have no idea what they are doing half the time!

Whenever I got that "message" I'd click OK and it would continue to boot up into the desktop, but without any of the desktop icons.

When it happened the first time I tried to use the 98 S/U disk, but with no success. So I formatted and reloaded. It worked fine. My daughter comes in that afternoon and says it did it again (same thing). So I formatted again, and this time downloaded AVG.

So far the computer is running fine.

And if anyone is looking for a really god spyware program, then I recommend Spyware Doctor. C/NET gives it a 5 star rating, and IMO, it is well worth the investment (around $25). It warns you if you are accidentally trying to access/open a website that has malware, and then asks you if you want to proceed or not. If you click NO, it prevents that site from opening. It has saved me quite a few times.

I've gotten those before Dom. reboot into Safe Mode and then run Norton's again. It will then delete that file. If not, you can click on the virus and write down the path, and then go in and delete it yourself.

Norton's also has special software called Adware.Huntbar that will look for and eliminate hijackers.

You can also Google and download CW Shredder which is also good at eliminating hijackers.

Let Micro Trend scan you computer and see if it can detect a virus and clean it. They also have a scanner for spyware. It is free and online.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Then try CNET for a registry cleaner to get rid of the Hijack
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 03-11-2005 at 11:53 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Thanks guys, for the great advice. I'll be applying it in the next few minutes

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    Let Micro Trend scan you computer and see if it can detect a virus and clean it. They also have a scanner for spyware. It is free and online.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Then try CNET for a registry cleaner to get rid of the Hijack
    I used that Micro Trend just to see what it would do. It says it found 19 viruses on my computer. It then deleted 6 of them, but said 13 were "inaccessible", meaning they were still there. It did though give the paths to the remaining 13. But when I tried to find them, using those file paths, those files didn't exist. So I updated and ran Nortons and it said my computer was clean.

Also... do those registry cleaners really work? Is there a chance they can screw up your registry? If not, then what one do you recommend?

Turn Off Ads?