Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Channel AMC calls it quits

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Cable Channel AMC calls it quits

It's a shame to lose a basic cable channel that had some good movies and few commercials.

NEW YORK - Turner Classic Movies spent eight years "trying to scream a little louder than the other guy in the classic-movie genre," says Tom Karsch, general manager of the cable channel.
    ****Now that "the other guy" — AMC — has opted out of the arena, TCM is marking its 10th anniversary Wednesday as the go-to outlet for such films.
    ****"Turner Classic Movies is a movie lover's paradise, an unending film festival," the New York Times reports.
    ****Kevin Brownlow, an authority on the silent-film era and director of TCM's recent highly praised documentary "Cecil B. DeMille: American Epic," says: "The value of the channel is to show the incredible past of the American cinema. ... To be able to put on a television set and see superb quality prints of pictures going back 60, 70 years is a most amazing privilege."
    ****His one complaint: "I always think they could show a lot more silent films, but that happens to be my passion in life."
    ****The vociferous criticism about colorization of black-and-white films once associated with the Turner name — an abomination to purists — seems a long-ago memory.
    ****Turner stations, including TNT and TBS, keep the colorized versions on the shelf — though founder Ted Turner told Mr. Karsch that he remains a fan.
    ****"What I find interesting is the fact that Ted says he would still, given the choice, watch 'Casablanca' in color versus black and white. And I just looked at him and said, 'I just don't get that,'*" Mr. Karsch says, laughing.
    ****TCM owns 3,500 old movies, a collection that includes the pre-1948 Warner Bros. library, pre-1986 MGM films and the complete RKO collection. Recently, it bought 89 Universal movies, including "Coal Miner's Daughter" and "Out of Africa," and 57 from Columbia, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "From Here to Eternity" among them.
    ****Most other basic-cable networks show commercials, including the revamped American Movie Classics, which is seeking a broader audience.
    ****TCM, however, remains commercial-free, relying on license fees from cable operators — estimated at $155.5 million this year, up from $138.4 million in 2003. TCM has 68 million U.S. subscribers and expects to surpass 70 million in the next few months.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cable Channel AMC calls it quits

AMC became irrelevant when they started editing their movies and showing commercials during their movies. Hopefully TCM won't do the same. Time-Warner will probably replace it with another Lifetime channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

A few months back (November I think) AMC had this great promo with all the movies the were showing that month. The song they used was fantastic, sounded like a Guided By Voices tune, but it wasn't one I'd ever heard. Anyway, I couldn't find the song using Google search on the lyrics I could remember, so I e-mailed AMC and asked them.

The response I got was that some other division puts together their promos and the PR folks essentially couldn't be bothered to call that division. Shoddiest customer service I've ever encountered. I'd watched their channel and shown enough interest to inquire about one of their commercials and they blew me off. I stopped watching AMC for the most part right after that. Obviously they had larger problems too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

It's a shame to lose a basic cable channel that had some good movies and few commercials.
    They used to have NO commercials. That's when I left them when the commercials appeared. Luckily, I taped quite a few movies before the change. Disney Channel started doing the same IIRC around the same time...

Unfortunately, I taped over an old movie that I might have taped via AMC. I might have to wait or see if I can find it on tape.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

La Dolce Vita

If you care about films TCM is the best channel on television period. It rendered AMC irrelevant, especially once they began w/ the commercials, which led to the editing. Plus, the TCM film library is much larger...AMC repeated the same movies over and over again each month.

Last night while watching the TCM 10th Anniversary showing of GWTW Robert Osborne said that the comment they get the most often from viewers is to please not change the format. He said they have no plans to do so. Thank goodness!

Does anyone have a link for this news? that article just makes it sounds like AMC is getting out of the old movie area.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Does anyone have a link for this news? that article just makes it sounds like AMC is getting out of the old movie area.
    Yep, here's the source. Sorry that I forgot to post it with the original.

http://washingtontimes.com/entertain...1023-8385r.htm

Daggonit! We love AMC. Especially when they show the Three Stooges! NYUK NYUK NYUK!

We usually do most of our viewing on AMC, Turner Movie Classics, and then similar one on Fox (can't remember the name right now). We love old movies.

Sad.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I just hope Ted doesn't go all Turnervision with colorizing every movie out there for TV now.

I truly love the old black and white films. Although Hollywood has come a long way in the magic of making movies with special effects and stuff, there's nothing like the originals.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar
    Bringing up this thread again because...

It has now been over 11 months since the linked article was posted and I haven't heard anything further about any change in AMC. Also, if you notice, the article simply says that 'AMC has opted out of the arena'...no additional details at all, no projected time frame.

So, is there someone out there who can shed some light on this situation?

You guys always come through with the answers.

Looking back...I think this is when AMC went full on with their new new movie format and tons of commercials....

I guess
    Go Gators!

I can't find anything about this now. Krono's guess is as good as mine.
    /r/reds

sounded like a Guided By Voices tune,
    Send in White Striped Jets.... This kinda sucks... AMC was always good at ripping out a few from my faves that got buried, Preston Sturges, Billy Wildler and others that recede in the past.

sad that some folks will miss out on some of the library that they owned that TMC doesn't possess. I hope TMC has their checkbook poised if any catalogs that AMC had exclusives with are now on the market.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    AMC became irrelevant when they started editing their movies and showing commercials during their movies. Hopefully TCM won't do the same. Time-Warner will probably replace it with another Lifetime channel.
    THe only show worth any time at all is the show "How clean is your house" where the two brits clean some of the nastiest houses. That show makes me feel better about my own house.

La Dolce Vita

Like you, Bob, I've not seen another word about AMC's demise.

I've noticed several movies here and there on TCM that used to be on AMC...but never on Turner....for ex. Charade, To Catch A Thief...so TCM must be buying off their movies. Hopefully, it's a going-out-of-business sale.

I'm optimistic and still trust Robert Osbourne when he says TCM isn't going to change their format.
    teach tolerance.

Turn Off Ads?