Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: THE! Lookouts Interviews (Long, but you knew that didn't you)

Re: THE! Lookouts Interviews (Long, but you knew that didn't you)

Nice work, SC. Keep 'em coming!

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

What kind of pull does Barry Larkin have with people? Geez

Great stuff man, thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Better than the stuff the "pros" give us,nice job bro.

*Fighting thru hand cramps I push on....*

Larry bring Bergolla over and my first question is how to pronounce his last name...he is Venezuelan, after all. He proceeds to roll the pronounciation so intricately, I say "ok, cool, William" :o

Bergolla is a slight guy. Shorter (5'8 maybe there abouts) than the other 2 and very skinny. The man just reeks speed. He has a pretty good grasp of english, so I feel confident asking him the "meat" questions fairly early. Plus, hey, I'm a vet at this now...this is my 3rd!!! interview, no sweat now

I hand him the mic, he puts it on and we roll on:

Q: To start off, what is the difference between baseball here in the States and back home in Venezuela?

A: I think it's the fans...because back home, we have more pressure. It's really different. -------Which do you like better?--------Here, I like it more here, but I like playing in my home country.

Q: When you were in Rookie Ball, you drew a lot of BB's, but not as many last year. Why is that and has the team discussed with you trying to draw more walks? Is that something you are looking to improve upon?

A: Yea, I want work on that more this year. In rookie ball, the pitchers....the pitchers, they're not too good. :MandJ: Here, I hit 1st or 2nd and the pitchers are better...they don't want to walk me-----because you're fast-----(he laughs) and says yea, I guess, but they don't want to walk me, because they don't want speed on the bases.

Q: With your speed, 52 steals last year, you steal a ton of bases. What makes a good base stealer, other than just speed?

A: We have to learn the pitchers...how they go to home plate. You have to get a good jump. Mostly, I just have to learn the pitchers and their move to homeplate.

Q: Do you watch video of them?

A: No, just when I see them. When a runner is on base I watch him.

Q: What have the Reds told you that you need to do to make it to the next level?

A: They told me I have to be more consistent hitting and in the infield. The routine plays. Everything...just have to work on getting better.

Q: What is the story of how you were found by the Reds and were there any other teams offering you a contract?

A: For a month or two months, I practiced, before I signed. I practiced at the Yankee's academy for 3 months. I worked hard and they wanted to sign me. The next month, they said they wanted to sign me, but they wanted me to keep practicing here for another month or two first. I didn't want to do that, so I went to the Oriole's academy and someone there told me to go to the Cincinnati academy. I went there and practiced for a week to 10 days and they signed me. (I didn't catch who he said signed him...sorry)

Q: When do you see yourself getting a chance, a cup of coffee, in the Bigs?

A: *Chuckles* Oh, I don't know--------When do you hope?---------Now *Laughs*...I don't know...when they want, when they need me, I guess.

Q: Growing up, who was your favorite player?

A: My favorite player? Hmmmm....This guy, he plays in my country, my father's friend. He played for the team that I played for in my country. He would come over to my home and I'd see him. He'd get me a ticket to watch him play. I went to every game when he played. ----------What's his name?-------- Pedro Chavez...he plays in Taiwan now.

Q: So he was your idol growing up?

A: Yea (laughs). He doesn't know this though...it's been a long time since I've seen him

Q: Have you met Davey Concepcion?

A: Oh yea. I spoke to him a couple of times. I got a picture with him (Big smile here). He goes and works at the Cincinnati academy back home and works with those guys.

Q: Ok, now to the fun stuff...what do you like to do in your free time, when not playing ball?

A: PS2...soccer and MLB 2003

Q: Your favorite MLB player?

A: I love Alex Rodriguez's swing. He's sooooo good. But in the field, no doubt, Omar Vizquel.

Q: Were you "star-struck" at all in ST?

A: A little. Barry Larkin was great. He worked with me in the field. He was great. He knows a lot...17 years in the bigs. *another big smile*

At this point, I had to let him go. His coaches were calling him over. He came across as a really nice, very young (21) kid. He loves playing baseball and it seemed to me that he really is anxious to make it to the bigs, if for no other reason, than to be able to go back home and play in front of his fans, knowing he's a big leaguer

What kind of pull does Barry Larkin have with people? Geez
    Other than the fact that he's been in the majors a while - it might have something to do with being able to communicate with the Hispanic players - Barry knows the language...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

All dyslexics must untie!

During the on-air interview (Yankee's game, spring training) Larkin intimated that he'd like to be "a liason between the FO and the players" when his playing days are through. But only for Cincy. I'm not sure what that job title would be, perhaps an "assistant" to the GM and/or farm director? Here's hoping the Red's FO is smart enough to make a place for Barry in the org
    Last edited by gm; 04-20-2004 at 07:19 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Very nice SC
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field

Awesome Sc!!!

This is totally sweet, SC. You are the man.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Excellent, excellent, excellent!

Mr. Ward is a very intelligent person. This reads so much better because you aren't "a trained media person". And that's not meant to be a 'diss" on the media. These are questions that a true diehard Reds fan wants to know and there isn't someone cutting out the little things to make it fit "Tuesday's edition" or time frame. You're description passes on the excitement from you, a Reds fan, doing the interview. You paint a great picture of the players desires and everyday situation. Mr. Ward is giving something to a whole bunch of diehard Reds fans that didn't cost the Reds organization anything but some time with one guy.

Bravo to you, Mr. Ward and all the players you interviewed.

{I'll take it that from the look you got, Ron Oester hasn't even made himself known to EdE.}
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Better than anything we'll read in mainstream media, SC. Thank you!

Fantastic interview and write up. Thanks a lot for doing that.

Excellent interviews, SC! Very enjoyable to read - not only the questions & answers, but your observations about their expressions, moods, personalities, etc.

Great, great job! This is definitely a thread we need to keep for future reading as these guys (hopefully) get to the show!

Thanks for doing this!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

EXCELLENT JOB SC. VERY Solid, legitimate questions. BTW, That nervous feeling before the interview... NEVER goes away. Especially if you are interviewing a Cal Ripken, Junior, etc... Very impressed. Thanks for putting your thoughts into the piece. Makes for a well rounded read.

Turn Off Ads?