Quote Originally Posted by M2
It can't be a one-way street. If arb-eligibles only drive in the outbound lane, it doesn't matter if the team makes a good call on a guy like Reitsma. The Reds have to find a way to retain and acquire arb-eligibles as well as send them packing. No one's winning anything with a team comprised of Year 1-3 players. It's the activity on the inbound lane which will define this team and DanO's stewardship of it.
This is exactly what I was trying to say M2! Thanks you for putting it so succinctly (I have a hard time condensing my toughts sometimes). Maybe after following the Reds for the last few years, I've become a bit cynical - but it seems to me that the talent bus has been driving in one direction since I started watching this team. If the last three years are any indication, three to four years from now everybody will be talking about the good prospects that Bong and Nelson have netted. Maybe this is the last leftover effects from the Bowden era, but I suspect that Bowden's, and now O'Brien's marching orders are coming from the top. And those orders do not include trading cheap players, for more expensive ones.

I hope that I'm proven wrong, but lets just say that I won't hold my breath.