Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Larson Can't Play at the Major League Level

Re: Larson Can't Play at the Major League Level

Chad Tracy has stept up in Arizona, maybe they'd be willing to deal S. Hillenbrand rather than leave him on their bench. However I give Larson a few more games to turn it around.
    Visit your local Psychiatrist, There may not be bugs crawling on you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

When I caught the highlights of the game, I was surprised Casey didn't pick that ball. Did it take a funny bounce? Yes it was a bad throw by Larson, but I was more surprised Casey didn't gobble it up.

Quote Originally Posted by redlegs2370
    Did Castro's throwing error cost the Reds a win and first place? Face it Larson is not a money player. When has he come through in the clutch?
    Neither did Larson's. We're still in 1st place. Cubs got shellacked again by the D'Backs.

And If I'm not mistaken, it was Grave's giving up a PH HR in the 9th that lost that game for us.

Simply astounds me how people kept asking when was Larson due back. And after only two games, we got people railing on him already.

Simply amazing.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

"Can't field, can't throw, can't hit, can't stay healthy... what can ya do?"

Oh, I see... you hit lots of HRs in AAA. What's that? You are on try #3 (or is it #4?) to show that you belong in the bigs. You say that people in Louisville love you, but you just don't get respect in Cincinnati.

What? I know, I know... 2 games is not a big enough sample. But I saw that going into last night's titantic struggle you were a pathetic 28 for 176 in your MLB career. That amounts to a batting average of .159. Oh and let's not forget those 5 HRs in 176 ABs. Huh? The SABRs want more information. Okay, let's try these career numbers:

* OBP = .254
    * SLG = .273
    * OPS = .527

Since you are approaching Juan Castro type hitting numbers, maybe it is your glove that keeps you in the bigs? Let's check... UGH! A career fielding average of .946! Lord have mercy. That would be good for a 3rd baseman in 1895 when the fields were less than ideal and the gloves were as big as a normal Joe's Isotoner gloves in his car.

"Can't field, can't throw, can't hit, can't stay healthy... what can ya do?"

Quote Originally Posted by l3R3TT
    When I caught the highlights of the game, I was surprised Casey didn't pick that ball. Did it take a funny bounce? Yes it was a bad throw by Larson, but I was more surprised Casey didn't gobble it up.
    I agree. When I saw highlights on ESPN this morning it looked like a throw that Casey usually scoops up. Still, it was a bad play by Larson. I don't know whether or not Larson can play at a major league level, but I do recall how he reportedly pressed last season when he slumped. A veteran player would shake off last night's game as just one of those things. I hope Larson doesn't react by attempting to hit five run homers to make up for his errors. As for Danny Graves, he is a mediocre at best reliever, but we are stuck with him for another couple of years.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I remember it a little differently in that it seemed to be more of an in-between type of hop for Casey. Perhaps I need to see the lowlights again.

Let's not over-react on Larson. The TEAM made 5 errors last night. The TEAM lost the game. Yes Larson didn't perform to an acceptable level but neither did Graves and anyone else who made those errors. You know what might be astounding to many many people on this board? This team might actually be better with Kearns not hitting but playing in the outfield and Castro or Freel not hitting but playing third base. Defense gets overlooked until games like last night. I don't blame Larson at all. I just think the teams weaknesses show up when people go on the disabled list. I am willing to give Larson another chance just as we have to keep giving Graves another chance.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I've slept on this. Last night I blamed Larson more than Graves. Now I blame Graves more.

Larson has to get a full chance. He still has not had time to play enough in the majors and there will be growing pains. His defense, however, is a real problem that he must fix or he can't stay.

Graves, on the other hand, can't close. He gives up way too many home runs. Most starters haven't given up 5 homers yet, but Graves has. Last year he gave up 30. He is not a kid. If Graves is not traded soon, he must take a lesser role in the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    so what would have happened if Castro had been in at 3B and made that same error? would people demand that Freel be in? or that Larson have remained in? i'm pretty sure Castro's made a throwing error before at 3B (in fact, he has one this year).
    Castro would deserve to get some leeway if he made the error last night because
    he has a track record of being consistently good. Just like I'm not terribly upset
    at LaRue, because most of the time his defense is good. Larson has a horrible
    track record. He can't hit or field. He's a proven liablity, so naturally it's
    going to burn people when he screwes up because Miley is playing him.
    And Wily Mo is contributing with his bat, so I can accept an occasional misplay.
    Wily Mo is also much young. Larson is 27 or 28 (not sure).. but he's pretty
    old and STILL has not learned how to play basic defense. Bottom line is that
    Larson just doesn't have what it takes to be a major leaguer. He's going
    to continue to drag the team down when he plays, just like last year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo
    Chad Tracy has stept up in Arizona, maybe they'd be willing to deal S. Hillenbrand rather than leave him on their bench. However I give Larson a few more games to turn it around.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo

The guy is a mediocre fielder who can't get on base, his one true calling is gap hitting when he connects, he needs to play in a giant park like Commerica or Safco, not the GAB.

Plus he costs more than he's worth and he thinks he's worth more than he costs.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Did Larson's throw cost the Reds the game or did Danny Graves 88 mph no-sinker down the MIDDLE of the plate lose the game? Larson's throw ddin't help but serving up that fatty to a rookie was unacceptable as well. Not to mention if Casey had bothered to stretch for Larson's errant throw he just may have picked it. Lots of blame to go around. LaRue made a bad decision too. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Did Larson's throw cost the Reds the game or did Danny Graves 88 mph no-sinker down the MIDDLE of the plate lose the game? Larson's throw ddin't help but serving up that fatty to a rookie was unacceptable as well. Not to mention if Casey had bothered to stretch for Larson's errant throw he just may have picked it. Lots of blame to go around. LaRue made a bad decision too. It happens.
    Yep, if only we had Reitsma, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Sorry, TCII; I usually agree with you but the throw to Casey did not require a "stretch". I'm as surprised as you are that Casey wasn't able to snag the errant throw from Larson, but those things happen.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    Graves is just horrible. I'd rather have Todd Jones, Ryan Wagner or - gasp - even Todd Van Poppel in the closers' role and really no one can argue that.
    Every single knowledgeable baseball man would argue with that statement.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Chip.. Reitsma would have held Casey's hand to make him feel better about making the scoop. LOL!

TB... Maybe Casey can't stretch. I never thought of that. :-)

Turn Off Ads?