Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Larson Can't Play at the Major League Level

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Larson Can't Play at the Major League Level

Maybe Casey couldn't stretch because just an inning or two before he'd delivered a Brutus Beefcake-quality high knee to Phil Norton's quadriceps.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It was an error, yes, it cost the Reds the game but you gotta move on. I was at a Reds/Braves game a few years back (during the shutout streak) when the Braves had the Reds down 2-0 with 2 outs in the 9th. Chipper skipped one up to first. Rather than game over, Reds wound up scoring 2 with 2 outs in the 9th and won in the 10th. Thus, these plays happen even to the best of fielders.

Thus, these plays happen even to the best of fielders.
    And Bill Buckner too.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Yep, if only we had Reitsma, right?
    CR was/is susceptible to the gopher ball, as well.

How many Red's pitchers have saved 10 games in the month of April? Only Danny Graves (you say) and he's done it twice? What a loser. Sure, he makes too much money and should be dealt ASAP. But before he leaves Cincy, Graves will have passed Franco as the team's all-time save leader. That's a few levels above "sucky" by anyone's estimation
    Never overlook the obvious

How many Red's pitchers have saved 10 games in the month of April? Only Danny Graves (you say) and he's done it twice? What a loser.
    I wouldn't say that exactly, but it does help illustrate the general uselessness of the save statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    CR was/is susceptible to the gopher ball, as well.
    Especially to Billy Hall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Or, as Hal McCoy keeps calling him, Mel Hall.

For the record I have figured out why Wily Mo's "misplay" looks so awful on the first angle we saw. It looks at though the ball hits the base of wall, but it actually hits the top of the wall and goes strait down (The side angle showed this perfectly). Since he jumps and the ball looks like it hits the base of the wall it just seems like a terrible defensive play, but in actuallity the ball is out of his reach a little bit and hits the top of the wall and goes strait down.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Or, as Hal McCoy keeps calling him, Mel Hall.
    No kidding? That's right up there with Eduardo Perez being out of the lineup because they had to cut his big toe off when in reality it was his big toenail. Hal is the Joe of sportswriters.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Larson had 2 errors last night, not just one. I understand hitting being different at the major league level, but I have a hard time understanding how defense is any different. I'm not a big Larson fan but I'd really like for him to prove me wrong...but I don't think that's gonna happen...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport.../0428reds.html

It's in there, right after the part about the, uh, pig scrum.

Another thought came to mind when rehashing last nights game, how many MLB 3rd basemen make the play going into the hole that was actually recorded as an infield hit in the 9th inning. I believe there was 1 out at the time and Larson made an attempt and it went off his glove and then he couldn't find the ball after that. I felt at the time that could be huge. No one is mentioning that play but an Aaron Boone makes that play. Then there would be two outs and then Clark makes the third out.

No one is mentioning that play but an Aaron Boone makes that play
    Not right now he ain't

"Simply astounds me how people kept asking when was Larson due back. And after only two games, we got people railing on him already."

I never wanted the guy back. Leave Freel at third and never look back, IMO.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    I wouldn't say that exactly, but it does help illustrate the general uselessness of the save statistic.
    OTOH, if saves are so easy to come by, then why haven't any of the great Red's relievers saved more games in April? (Give Graves some credit, it's not like he had 20+ chances to save 10)

Theo Epstein and Boston tried the "no closer" experiment last April. Then they scrapped the idea. Still, the sabr crowd disses the concept of the closer. It takes a special cat to blow a game and get back up on the horse the next night. That's what seperates Graves/Shaw/Brantley from the average ML pitcher
    Last edited by gm; 04-28-2004 at 02:25 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Turn Off Ads?