Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Selig sells out to Spider-Man

Justin Einerson

Re: Selig sells out to Spider-Man

Bud Selig... it's very hard for me to not flip off his metal face that hangs outside of the Bradley Center every time I go to a Bucks game. But, I try to be respectful, so I just stand there and scowl at it for awhile.. I can't wait until he has nothing to do with the Brewers and especially nothing to do with baseball.

BTW: Have you guys been to yankeessuck.com? It's classic, check it out.

http://www.yankeessuck.com/blog/arch..._04.htm#000054

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bud Selig is cancer on baseball...as long as he remains, baseball will get sicker and sicker.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

What bothers me, more than anything alse about this debacle (and others certainly to come in the future), is that the Commish has to know that the majority of fans out there will absolutely loathe this idea. yet he does it anyway. What is his motivation (that's a Psych101 question) for this? Does he really think that a sleazy money-grab promotion like this is going to bring more fans to MLB than it drives away? Does anyone think that the populace are going to stand up and stare at the spidey-bags and think to themselves: "Wow! I've always thought baseball was slow and boring, but with advertisements on the bags, it just RAWKS!" ? The money is nothing! Nothing!

Next thing you know, Estee Lauder will be shilling cosmetics on statues of the Virgin Mary.

I shudder. Shuddering is taking place right at this very moment.

Of course, I also have a cold.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Where can I find the address for the Commissioner's office? I'm writing him a letter.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

This stinks, I wonder what (or where) is for sale next? :thumbdn:

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I guess I'm a purist, whatever that means... My first thought was "Selig is a *****".

I agree with your first thought.

:mad:
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

tremere

Putting advertisements on bases is in one word:

PATHETIC. It is sad when Major League Baseball has to come to this with their greed. As if there isn't enough greed in the game, now the game is becoming a total cartoon like horse racing is with its jockeys wearing ads on their pants. This is so sad.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Selig sold out a long time ago

I'm not so sure this is an all out bad plan. Eventually all sports will have something of the sort implemented. I can understand it being bad from a baseball purists standpoint, but at the same time steroids have done and are more to damage the sport than about any advertisement would.

In a way I see this as a possible good thing for the so-called "small" market or minded teams. If eventually some sort of advertising like this becomes the norm. It would certainly generate lots of additional money. If a NASCAR team can get a sponsor to pay $15 million for a 36 race schedule what would a bud light logo be worth over the course of a 162 game schedule? That would give these owners some additional money that they don't have that they claim to need to compete so they can have a payroll and not "lose" money. On the same token a sponsorship with the Yankees would be more valuable than a sponsorship with the Reds so it would undoubtly push players salaries up some, but the way I see it now, the Yankees would spend $300 million right now if that's what it took.
    Just my opinion but this could be a good thing in regards to the overall competitiveness of baseball and possibly bring a lot of teams up to where they can "afford" to spend more money.

Just a thought.

Lets make our voices heard guys. Sign the petition:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22897
    Last edited by adampad; 05-05-2004 at 11:02 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link.

Just curious, what does more to hurt the integrity of the game,
    Players shooting up with steroids or managers betting on baseball games, umpires who associate with and are in debt to known gamblers, or spider webs on the bases. It's not like they are moving the bases in, making the pitches come from a pitching machine, setting up a larger ball so that Jason Romano can hit it, or moving the walls in(oh wait they've already done that.)

What is this going to be taking away from the game?

For those who are complaining, do you have problems with ads on the outfield walls? How about along the boards at hockey or soccer games? Like anybody watches soccer.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Rules state that the bases and the pitching rubber are to be white.

There is nothing in the rules that outfield walls cant have ads.

Either Selig changes the rules properly or end the stupid scam now.

In the pipeline- MLB Comic Book Advertising Gimmicks:

1. Incredible Hulk Bat Night: Special green bats commissioned. When hitter becomes angry, bat grows to incredible size. MLB Rules Committee thinks this is a great idea to discourage Pitchers from throwing high tight fastballs and will consider this as a regular addition to ballgames beginning in 2004.

2. Daredevil Sonar Pitching: At random, a pitcher will be blindfolded before walking to the mound in an effort to mimic pitching with a Matt Murdock-like extrasensory ability. Dave Miley finds out that Jimmy Haynes actually pitches better this way and permenantly blinds him using radioactive tobacco juice. Unfortunately, Haynes strikes a batter on Incredible Hulk bat night and is bludgeoned to death with a green baseball bat the size of a Pinto.

3. Superman Hitter Night: All hitters will be able to wear head to toe flexible body armor to allow them to feel invincible- like the Man of Steel himself. Barry Bonds finds it odd that he requires no wardrobe changes.

4. Hellboy Helmet Night: Mike Mignola's popular underground hero comes alive as all hitters wear helmets with large red horns glued to the top. Baserunners like the intimidation factor so much that they sharpen the horns and begin sliding head-first into every bag. Ty Cobb rolls ever so slightly in his grave.

5. Spiderman Web Shooter Night: Attempting to make the game more fun on the bases, MLB allows all fielders to wear working copies of Spiderman's famous web shooters. When a baserunner attempts to advance, each fielder may fire their web shooter at the runner in an attempt to slow them down. Sean Casey finds that this actually makes him faster. This night discontinued when one 1B pulls so hard on the captive runner that he lifts him off the ground and is impaled by sharpened helmet horns.

6. Wolverine Claws Night: Fielders may not wear gloves. Instead, they are each given a pair of retractible claw attachments and may only field balls by impaling them on these razor sharp skewers. Tragically, Wily Mo Pena picks his noze in Right Field and lobotomizes himself.

7. Wonder Woman Lasso Night: One lucky female fan in each ballpark is given an exact duplicate of Wonder Woman's lasso and picks a single player who must tell the truth when entwined by it. Interestingly enough, both Derek Jeter and Mike Piazza are AWOL at their respective parks.

8. Conan the Barbarian Night: All players appear in only loincloths and use two handed broadswords at the plate. Juan Castro, unable to lift his sword, is still able to coax a bases loaded Walk to force in the winning run versus the Mets. Some lady named Creek is arrested for stalking Adam Dunn. So is Mike Piazza.

Brilliant. I'm sure he'll nominate himself for the Commissioner's award.

"This commissioner's award brought to you by Braniff Airlines. 'When you've got it, flaunt it' and Volkswagon 'Think Small'
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I havent laughed like that in a while Steel...CLASSIC.

Turn Off Ads?