Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "tone" of RedsZone

Re: The "tone" of RedsZone

Quote Originally Posted by tremere
    I was under the impression that only certain members of the "clique" could say something of value in a thread. Was this just a by-product of the downslide lately in redszone?
    If you feel that certain people are treated a certain way, tremere, please feel free to PM myself or Boss and we will do our best to rectify any concerns you may have. On the flipside, you also have to realize that many of us have "known" each other for 4 years (or longer) through RedsZone and past message boards. I and others may be guilty of treating these people differently and I apologize. Just like in real life, you tend to hang out with your best friends over those you haven't met or don't really know. I'll try to work on that myself.

RedsZone is a family and I want to restore that relationship. I hope everyone can understand and accept that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let's just respect the message and try to do better. GIK hasn't singled anyone out.

I'll take my own shot here:

Steel, I was short with you this week. I'll try and choose my words better next time. My apologies.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Ah yes, the old Cincy.com mess. GIK, you hit it on the head, this is the reason I haven't been on in awhile, this has just not been an interesting fun place to spend my time. I hope the conversations rise back up to a better level.

Steel, I was short with you this week. I'll try and choose my words better next time. My apologies.
    You were? I honestly don't remember. And there's certainly no reason to apologize.

As to the board's "tone" in general:

I think one thing folks forget about is that with so diverse a group there will be a lot of different communication styles. Some folks are more amiable, some more expressive, some more direct, and some more analytical.

Those more "amiable" will often see a post from an expressive or more "driver-like" poster and be taken aback by the post's perceived "tone". An expressive might see a passage from someone whose communication style is more analytical and think it's "dry" or "devoid of emotion". A driver might see a post from a more amiable person and stop reading after about one sentence if the post is more than 50 words long.

And then there are trolls. These folks are the exceptions and they'll go away soon enough if one of two things happens. Ignore them or beat them senseless with irrefutable data. I think we all know which track my train runs on in that regard.

Personally, I think that most discussion that spirals out of control is due to either a difference in communication style resulting in perceived slights, or by emotionally-charged rants. Can't do anything about the irrational, so I worry about what I can (the rational folk). Disagreements are going to happen though. It's inevitable. Unavoidable.

IMHO, I think we'd all do well to take a step back from time to time, hazard a deep breath, and understand that we may have to adjust our own communication style to better "fit" the needs of others. I'll be the first to say I'm as guilty as the next guy (or girl) of forgetting that at times, and that's something I'll continue to try to work on.

Sincerely,

SteelSD
    "Snide Cuss"

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I think all forums who have a large contingent of posters always has a sort of clique built in. It cant be avoided. The hard part is making sure this "clique" is open to new members or sparse posters and not making them feel inferior for having a differing opinion.

Then there is that whole conflict of personalities... Sometimes those instances just need mediated.

Thank you! A needed reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn

So people that have been around for awhile and yack a lot are part of a clique?

So as your post count grows with posts such as the ones in this thread...does that put you in the *Wanna be in the clique* crowd??

I agree, I want to be in this weird yet fascinating clique! Look for me to post 25 to 30 times a day just to pad my post count and look like a big shot!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Certainly one of the reasons I have posted less and less. Thanks for addressing the issue. I'm perplexed as to how this board could be classified as a "clique". Most of us have known one another for quite some time. Maybe it appears some are more in the know or in the loop. I guess you would have to look at it this way. If you have ten friends you talked to regularly but had only one "best" friend, which one gets more of the gossip, scoop, skinny than the rest. Your best friend. Just my thoughts. Proud to post here and glad to have very good friends here.

Bring back sorkelneck and tribefan!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    I agree, I want to be in this weird yet fascinating clique! Look for me to post 25 to 30 times a day just to pad my post count and look like a big shot!

All you need to do is reply to every single post with "I agree" or lots of :MandJ: for the lighthearted ones!

tremere

It is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, for sure. All I am saying is that I agree with the intended philosophy of this community. How you feel about it is entirely up to you, of course, but unless you are here to support the intended message of this thread, I have a question for you: why are you posting in this thread? It is very clear the "tone" of this forum has been different as of late, so I'm curious as to what you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn

So people that have been around for awhile and yack a lot are part of a clique?

So as your post count grows with posts such as the ones in this thread...does that put you in the *Wanna be in the clique* crowd??

I have a lot of posts... mostly from game threads over how-ever-many years we've had the pleasure of this forum.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

What this board needs is more bell.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel

I'm not in the clique- I'm just a wannabee. The clique might recognize me- I'm the guy always outside looking in the window at them when they have their get-togethers.

I am very well aware of the tone Redszone is suffering from lately. I voiced my own concerns to those that needed to hear it and got their perspective as well. And I am fine with it.

What I was trying to understand is what you are calling the clique and why it is such a bad thing. Obviously there are going to be people that live in the Cincy area that can go to more games than our out of town members. Many of these people will toss out a date and others that can make it will go. Lots of gatherings have been organized when out of towners are coming in so that we can meet them too.

Lots of people on here have *known* each other for 4 years or more. I have been to the homes of several of (for lack of a better word) the *clique* members. They are really great people and I am truly sorry that all the out of towners (and more locals) have not had the chance to meet them!

A msg board survives on people posting and interacting with each other. If we all lurked there would be no msg board...or at least it would be a very boring board containing only news articles and photos.

There are a lot of things said on this board that newer members may think are hateful or crude. But to the people that have been around here and have gotten to know many of these peoples posting style they will see that it is just them being their crazy selves. Chat is a perfect example. There are 3 of us that have kept some silliness going on in there this week and it is completely harmless and we are doing it mainly to entertain others in there. Hopefully we have not offended anyone...I would hope they would speak up if we were.

I do not get into the heated baseball debates about stats and what not because I do not know enough about that to hold my own in those conversations. I'm a baseball fan and like to chat about my favorite players/teams. I never claimed to be an expert. I like reading some of those threads just to learn stuff...but I hate it when they turn ugly because people do not agree with each other. That is a fact of life. We are not going to agree 100% with everyone all the time. I know I have gotten ticked off on this board and let my emotions fly...I used to look at that as a bad thing, now I see it is only because I care (about the board, about the subject and about the poster I disagree with).

This place is great because there are so many chances to get to meet the actual people that post here. It is not like a msg board where you are lucky to find one person in your state...let alone a few hundred that live in your town or the next town over.

Just relax and enjoy yourself. Feel free to post away. I wish all new people would just dive in. New blood is what keeps these forums going (and donations!!! See THIS thread! : :MandJ:

Anywho, sorry to be so long keyboarded...just wanted to answer your question and let my peeps here know how much I care about them.

Quote Originally Posted by tremere
    It is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, for sure. All I am saying is that I agree with the intended philosophy of this community. How you feel about it is entirely up to you, of course, but unless you are here to support the intended message of this thread, I have a question for you: why are you posting in this thread? It is very clear the "tone" of this forum has been different as of late, so I'm curious as to what you think about it.

Turn Off Ads?