Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The "tone" of RedsZone

Re: The "tone" of RedsZone

vampires are silly.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The mods here are great, I can send you a few links to boards with Bad mods who ban you for saying anything against them
    Go Gators!

tremere

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    vampires are silly.
    Zombies are dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by tremere
    Zombies are dumb.
    D'oh!
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Awwwwww. And I thought we could be buds. :cry2:
    That's OK, Chip. You can eat at our table during lunch with our clique! :mhcky21:

Seriously, I've been reading through this thread over the last couple days and wanted to think before I responded. Here goes ...

Some of us have been around like ... forever, and we've known each other's points of view for going on several years. It's not a clique, as much as it is old friends getting together. For a few posters, we were talking Reds baseball together back on the old Fastball.com board, the old Dickie Thon board, and the equally old Cinci.com board. I have said some pretty dumb things in a few of my posts over the years. I think some of my friends around here have forgiven my idiotic statements because I have respected other points of view even when I disagreed.

To my knowledge, I've never met one of these folks in person, but the Reds bring a connection that causes me to call the "old timers" my friends. We're like family ... we don't always agree, but I sure miss them when they don't post for awhile. I would hope they feel the same about me. Those of us with some seniority understand each other a little better, and probably do cut each other a little more slack. I suppose to a newcomer, that may seem like a clique.

I don't want to make any newcomer feel left out of the clique, but I do think that in most any group like RedsZone, you've got to "pay your dues" so to speak, by earning the respect of those who have been around for awhile. Be patient, you will earn your stripes by giving folks a chance to get to know you.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

It amuses me when people say RZ is "over-moderated".

I was banned from a board a couple weeks ago for the sin of posting the name of another (similar) web site I read.

Talk about moderating.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    I've noticed lately that RedsZone has become a lot more abrasive in the posts many users have made to one another. This may be due to the fact our team and certain players are slumping, but it doesn't mean we can take this frustration out on each other. I've let a lot of this slide lately and I shouldn't have. Boss and I created RedsZone to get away, far far away, from this type of attitude and I'm not going to let us become infected by the virus that was Cincinnati.com's message board. We can disagree, we can argue, we can post "mad" smilies, we can vent here with each other and voice our displeasure...but we cannot tear into each other maliciously. Message boards often allow people to say things anonymously they would never say in person. Please don't let that become you. Treat everyone here as if they were a member of your family and not an "internet stranger" and I think we'll see a much more fun and productive RedsZone.

Thanks!
    GIK
    GIK

Nice try, that didn't last long though!

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22948

The tone of RZ has always been negativity. It's like watching the evening news, it's just so depressing.

I come to this board to see if there is any news, cause if there is, I'll find it here. But I don't read many posts because practicly every one turns into the bashing of someone.

I rarely check in during the off season, but when I do it never fails to see you all writing off the season before ST starts. You micro analyze every aspect of the team and can't even enjoy the start of a new season.

If that's what being a fan means to you, then, I'm glad I'm not you. Cause if the day comes where I'm not pumped for the Reds season to start and stand strong until they are mathmatically eliminated, someone do me a favor and kill me.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The last couple of posts trouble me. The positive posts are here. They just don't get as much attention as the negative ones. It's the "accident on the highway" syndrome–the eye is drawn to the negative.

Look at the "Do You Support Junior" poll (stickied today) for evidence of a positive vibe here. (9 out of 10 registered members support Junior Griffey.) The undercurrent is definitely positive. If we didn't fundamentally support the Reds, the vast majority of us would be off on some other board.

The best way to combat weeds from a yard/garden is to crowd them out with mulch or plants. If negative posts trouble you, there's another option besides not visiting... don't look at them, don't reply to them and don't get worked up about them! The best way to eliminate negative posts here is to ignore them and crowd them out with positive ones. To do your part toward the latter, find a thread that espouses a view you agree with at the top and chime in that you agree.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assert that there'd be a lot more positivism on the board if the Reds were a better team.

They've been walloped pretty good the past three seasons. They've haven't been actively acquiring established or ready-to-play talent to plug their holes. And they've got a starting pitching problem that never seems to get fixed.

If they were winning 91 games a year instead of losing 91 games a year, the mood of the fanbase would be a whole lot better.

The problem is that many people, while looking forward to the season, don't practice the art of self-deception in thinking that the team will win just because fans desire it. It also inevitably leads us down the discussion trail of how should the team fix things. That's what you talk about when something's broken.

If all someone really wants to talk about is "I like baseball, how about you?" and "Go Reds!" then there aren't going to be a lot threads you'll enjoy when the team is into its fourth season of a down cycle.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If you really want to precise, the downcycle has been in effect since 1996 minus the flukie 99-00 era. Though Redszone wasn't alive them probably

The Reds are just ****ty baseball. That is the way it has been a long time now, it was that way up to the Big Red Machine era and off and on to 1995.

Fans want quick fixes, winners now. I don't think the Reds are in position for that at this time. In 1997 I figure more people would be more patient considering the hole the Reds organization was in financially and developmentally at that time. They just didn't expect it wouldn't be filled in 2004 after 6-7 years of "structural" rebuilding inside and a new stadium making the team supposedly have looser purse strings(which in some ways it did, thinking 1997). So you get alot of crying and whining on every little thing :thumbdn: Timing is everything and the Reds have blown at it. For the Reds hopefully they get "phased" in a little better over the next 6 years.

Turn Off Ads?