Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: God Bless America.........haynes released!

Re: God Bless America.........haynes released!

I suspected that the Reds put Haynes in the BP while they tried to trade him, but still couldn't get any takers. I wonder if O'Brien made a call to Japan, Korea? Give O'Brien credit, he was able to sell the idea of sunk cost to the Reds brass. That could have taken months to accomplish, but he was still able to do it before June.

I suspect we're gonna see a couple of moves within a couple of days.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest

I suspect we're gonna see a couple of moves within a couple of days.
    Do you mean inside the organization or with other teams?

No more listening to Marty say: "Haynes with the pitch...AND A DRIVE...WAY BACK IN LEFT...AND IT'S 3-0 (insert team here).

:GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC:

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

I was hoping that Colorado was hurting so bad for starting pitching that they might claim Jimmy to get the Reds off the hook. Looks like they went in another direction that is cheaper and maybe just as good.

Rockies sign RHP Jarvis to minor league contract

May 10, 2004
    DENVER (Ticker) - Kevin Jarvis' search for employment is over.

The Colorado Rockies on Monday signed Jarvis to a minor league contract and assigned him to Class AAA Colorado Springs of the Pacific Coast League.

Jarvis, who spent the 2000 season with the Rockies, appeared in eight games for Seattle this year, going 1-0 with an 8.31 ERA. Designated for assignment on April 26, the righthander was acquired by the Mariners in a five-player trade with San Diego in January.

A 10-year veteran, Jarvis owns a 34-46 career record with one save and a 5.88 ERA in 172 games, including 114 starts, with Cincinnati, Minnesota, Detroit, Oakland, Colorado, the Padres and Seattle.

Updated on Monday, May 10, 2004 6:06 pm EDT

I'm going to do myself a favor and bite my tongue, but it's hard after reading someone compare Jimmy Haynes' situation to that of an abused POW. For someone who's criticizing other's use of negative prose, you might want to check yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Red
    I was hoping that Colorado was hurting so bad for starting pitching that they might claim Jimmy to get the Reds off the hook. Looks like they went in another direction that is cheaper and maybe just as good.

Rockies sign RHP Jarvis to minor league contract
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong because I don't have the details handy, but I think that Jarvis is more expensive than Haynes - contract per contract in '04. Although if a player makes it through waivers, any team signing said player pays only the prorated minimum I believe. So no benefit either way for the Rockies. Looks as though Haynes is not on anybody's wish list this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong because I don't have the details handy, but I think that Jarvis is more expensive than Haynes - contract per contract in '04. Although if a player makes it through waivers, any team signing said player pays only the prorated minimum I believe. So no benefit either way for the Rockies. Looks as though Haynes is not on anybody's wish list this summer.
    I believe Jarvis is in the last year of a 3 year 12+ mil contract. IMO one of the worst contracts ever given in baseball.

Bell and Pittsburgh have that title wrapped up for life.

Roctober Red

I knew this day would come. Time to celebrate! :GAC: :yipee: :rock_band

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Bell and Pittsburgh have that title wrapped up for life.
    I agree and I would also rank both Mo and Greg Vaughn contracts up there. Heck the contract the Rangers are still paying TVP is up there.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Very positive sign from the Reds. For what it's worth, I do think someone will pick up Haynes, now that he'll only cost the major league minimum, rather than $2.5 million per annum.
    Stick to your guns.

Why haven't they announced that Matthews is being called up?
    Could there be a trade in the works?

Best aspect of this has already been stated - the FO is willing to admit defeat and suffer the consequences by eating a contract. It shows a commitment to building a team. Perhaps it even suggests that DanO can deal with Allen and his kabal. I hope so. I also have no problem with his thoughtful pace. The organization didn't fall into disrepair over night, nor will it be rebuilt over night. Patience ...

tremere

This is one of the more thoughtful posts I've seen on here in a long, long time. While we would ALL love to see O'Brien pull off that ESPN-highlight trade, it ain't gonna happen. O'Brien has *nothing* to work with, so he is approaching all this in the only fashion he can: deliberately and patiently. I'd venture to say that other GM's are on their toes with Allen and Gang. Bowden screwed a lot of GM's or tried to pull the wool over their heads. Allen was a part of that. It won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by tremere
    This is one of the more thoughtful posts I've seen on here in a long, long time.
    Is a long, long time within the last 3 months or is does this include the time you were here under another user name?

Turn Off Ads?