Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: God Bless America.........haynes released!

Re: God Bless America.........haynes released!

There is actually hope for this franchise yet...

Hey, the Yankees might need a new BP pitcher. Even at 2.5 million for that job, he'd still fit their budget.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRock
    There is actually hope for this franchise yet...

Hey, the Yankees might need a new BP pitcher. Even at 2.5 million for that job, he'd still fit their budget.
    Yeah, but they probably want someone who can throw the ball over the plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I thought the waiver wire wasnt made public until either someone was picked up or the time ran out?
    that's true for revocable waivers.

but in a case where a player is being unconditionally released and the team wants his roster spot immediately, the info has to be made public. Otherwise, it looks like there's too many players on the team

Great news. Between this news and the news that Kearns and Larue may be very close to coming back this has been a good day for the Reds.

Here's Hal's article on it:

By Hal McCoy
    Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | The Cincinnati Reds made their most positive statement Monday since The Great Massacre of last July when they traded away half the franchise and most of the bullpen.

Pitcher Jimmy Haynes is gone, given his walking papers and shown the door with an unconditional release.

It answers a major question on the lips of fans all season: Are the Reds interested in winning or are they keeping a useless pitcher only because they owe him $2.5 million?

General manager Dan O'Brien insisted when Haynes was taken out of the rotation last week that his contract situation did not play into him remaining with the team.

O'Brien made good on that statement Monday.

"We felt it was in the best interest of the organization and, quite frankly, in the best interest of Jimmy Haynes as well," said O'Brien. "This gives him a chance, if he so chooses, to try to hook on with another team and pitch in a rotation. It's best for him."

And it definitely is best for the team.

Haynes was 0-3 in four starts with a 9.82 earned run average after going 2-12 with a 6.30 earned run average in 18 starts last season.

Re: God Bless America.........haynes News

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    judging from recent quotes, he seemed surprised and happy that he was still on the major league roster, and pointed out that he'd recently had a successful bullpen stint so maybe it was a good thing for him
    What he said to the media and what he said when the media wasn't around may have been two different things. I don't know. It just seems strange that he was given a reprieve less than a week ago at the big pow-wow but only decided to release him today. If they had let him go then then there would have been a wave of good publicity going into the weekend instead of the media ripping the Reds for basically doing nothing at the pow-wow.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    Here's Hal's article on it:

By Hal McCoy
    Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | The Cincinnati Reds made their most positive statement Monday since The Great Massacre of last July when they traded away half the franchise and most of the bullpen.
    Half the franchise eh?
    Focusing on being world champs in '03 and '04 can cause such failures in judgement. Half the franchise, wow.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I cant believe this. My birthday is a few days away and the Reds knew exactly what i wanted. Thanks Dan O I can this is the start of another glorious year for me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    It just seems strange that he was given a reprieve less than a week ago at the big pow-wow but only decided to release him today.
    right, that was my point. I was looking for mechanisms. Yours was one, but I don't think that it fit given his quotes. Belisle and Etherton's excellent outings might have been a reason, but not if we're calling up Mathews. Maybe he couldn't get loose, making him beyond useless for a bullpen role. O'Brien's quote suggests that he's a rotation guy

here's an odd thing: I looked at Mathews' numbers over the past five days, and there are none-- he hasn't pitched an out. So if they were evaluating him, it was on the sidelines.
    Last edited by princeton; 05-10-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

As a Reds fan, I'm happy that the young arms will get a chance to show their skills.

As a person, feel sad to witness a group of individuals who are downright gleeful and jumping for joy at another person's fall from grace.

I don't think it's that people are happy Jimmy fell from grace, we are happy that the team is "doing what is best" for the team finally and not holding onto someone who has unfortunately fallen from grace. Trust me, we would all be happy with Jimmy if he was winning this team games like he did in '02.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    As a Reds fan, I'm happy that the young arms will get a chance to show their skills.

As a person, feel sad to witness a group of individuals who are downright gleeful and jumping for joy at another person's fall from grace.
    1. Mathews and TVP are not young arms by any stretch

2. Redzoners just didn't want Jimmy to pitch so badly for us. Now he can't.

IcyHot

Rest in Peace - Jimmah
    2001-2004
    Last edited by IcyHot; 05-10-2004 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    Maybe he couldn't get loose, making him beyond useless for a bullpen role. O'Brien's quote suggests that he's a rotation guy
    That could be it. Maybe he was warming up in the bullpen on Sunday and couldn't get loose. Of course he pitched just dandy in HOU. Anyone who went to the game on Sun. see him warming up?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Gotta' agree there, 19. This was touched upon on another thread. There is a difference between wanting your team to do well and taking joy in one of it's players' failures.

IMO, there are a large number of people on this board that preferr the latter to the former. But, then again, Buzzards p**s on their legs to cool themselves off so I guess this board is their form of p**sing on themselves.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?