Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: God Bless America.........haynes released!

Re: God Bless America.........haynes News

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    That could be it. Maybe he was warming up in the bullpen on Sunday and couldn't get loose. Of course he pitched just dandy in HOU. Anyone who went to the game on Sun. see him warming up?

another idea-- Bong and Shackelford did pitch over the past five days. Maybe they were hoping for one of the young arms to assert themselves. When neither did, they went with the vet in order to buy some more developmental time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: God Bless America.........haynes released!

Cudos to the organization.

Thought they'd never release him since that'd cost money, but I'm glad they actually did.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon
    Cudos to the organization.

Thought they'd never release him since that'd cost money, but I'm glad they actually did.
    just guessing that Mathews costs more than promoting a kid. I figure that he's on a split contract, and that the major league portion is for more than the minimum

Just wanted to chime in here...

I think this is a BIG change in philosophy. The Reds have admitted a "sunk cost" and are cutting bait. I credit Dan 'O with this and a HUGE step in the right direction. Kudos to Dan 'O for seeing this and acting on it, as opposed to what has happened in the past with like players :GAC:

And I agree with Ryan-the-Reds-Fan regarding the "glee" at JIMMAH being released. It's not anti-JIMMAH. It's glee that the club is making a move to help itself. Plus, say what you will, but I find it hard to really feel bad for a guy who is going to make $2.5M and not having to report to work

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Gotta' agree there, 19. This was touched upon on another thread. There is a difference between wanting your team to do well and taking joy in one of it's players' failures.
    I don't think anyone is taking joy in his failure so much as being grateful that the team is addressing its weaknesses. Jimmah never tried to make a contribution to this team - his physical condition when he showed up to ST proved it, IMO. In the end, he's an employee, he has a job, and his failure to perform was damaging the team. I have also been known to take joy in a co-worker who never pulled her own weight, leaving me to cover her desk over and over again, being fired. I didn't hate the girl, but she was a poor employee, and didn't deserve the money she was making.

Sorry, but if you can't do your job, you don't get to keep it.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

No more JIMMAH?!?!

Nooo...

Ok wait..how bout TODDIE! for Van Poppel?

So long and good luck JIMMAH
    Go Gators!

I don't think anyone is taking joy in his failure so much as being grateful that the team is addressing its weaknesses. Jimmah...
    So, you don't think anyone is taking joy in his failure, do you Zombie? Just look at your own quote. You're a perfect example. Rather than address Jimmie Haynes by his name you are perfectly willing to show your glee at his failure by making fun of him and dis-respecting him by using a 'nick' that was designed and perpatrated to make a ballplayer less than what he is, what we all are, and that is a human being with feelings.

Did he accomplish what we, as Reds fans, wanted? NO! But that doesn't give anyone here on this board the right to treat him like an Iraqui POW.

This is a reply to your post, Zombie but you are far from the only one.

Rem

Wow. If you would like to see it that way, Rem, feel free to do so, but I have no problem with the man apart from his failure to perform as a Cincinnati Red.

And if his performance on the mound wasn't worthy of mockery, I do not know what is.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Rem and others thinking that joy is taken from one's misfortune, as much as I usually ask for sensitivity towards the players and the FO, I just see folks being happy that the team weeded a bad player off his team. I have not seen one person attack Jimmy personally but have only addressed his failure as a ballplayer. I can heap guilt on myself as much as the next guy, but I am glad they made this move and don't feel a bit bad about those feelings :GAC: .

Plus, it ain't like he now has to go to the unemployment office and hope that Kroger is hiring.

Monday, May 10, 2004

Associated Press
    CINCINNATI -- Pitcher Jimmy Haynes was put on waivers Monday by the Cincinnati Reds, who would be responsible for the rest of his $2.5 million salary if he doesn't get claimed.

The right-hander, who agreed to a $5 million, two-year deal in December 2002, is 0-3 with a 9.60 ERA in four starts and one relief appearance for Cincinnati this season. The Reds last week demoted him from the starting rotation to the bullpen.

The Reds first signed Haynes as a free agent in January 2002. He went 15-10 that year to lead the team in wins, starts (34), innings pitched (196 2-3) and strikeouts (126).

But in 2003, he started Cincinnati's season opener and lost 10-1 to Pittsburgh. He finished the season 2-12 with 94 1-3 innings pitched. He was on the disabled list twice and ended his season in early August because of a bulging disc in his lower back.

The Reds were off Monday. They plan to fill Haynes' roster spot before their game Tuesday night in San Diego.

I was hoping Jimmy would of help the Reds pitching situation but it didn't seem like he was. The bullpen is very over worked and the pitchers ERAs have gone up to prove it and many of the Reds wins lately have gone up in smoke. IMO I think the Reds should of release Jimmy this spring when he showed up to springs training out of shape. If they had release him for being out of shape I don't think the Reds would have to pay his salary.
    Last edited by Colorado Red; 05-10-2004 at 03:24 PM.

I have nothing against Haynes personally. I rooted for him like I do all Reds players. But what I am happy about is that this organization made a move that they realized needed to be done without worrying about the fact they may lose money making the move. I would have been happy if Haynes had performed well but he didn't so it was time for the Reds to move on.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I just did my first ever backflip!!

Wow I didn't know that pitching bad makes your ears go up :MandJ:
    Gives a whole new meaning to stringing someone up by their ears.

I for one don't really care weather this move happed or not. IMO Haynes most likely one of the Reds best 7 BP guys; mostly likely top 5, better than Reith and Norton. But since alot of his problems in his own doing w/ not comming in shape I don't mind saying dont let the door hit you on the way out.

For all you happy that TVP is starting rather than Haynes just remember that TVP ERA as a starter is around 6.3 which is the same as Haynes had in is horrible year last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits
    I for one don't really care weather this move happed or not. IMO Haynes most likely one of the Reds best 7 BP guys; mostly likely top 5, better than Reith and Norton. .
    I think that it's a good point that we aren't replacing him with Mario Soto or even with an average pitcher or a prospect. The replacement is a fringe major leaguer.

Haynes was buying time for us to find a guy with more promise, and doing a bad job of it. It's not clear that the next guy will do any better. Surely he won't do any worse

Turn Off Ads?