Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kearns isn't ready for the bigs...

Re: Kearns isn't ready for the bigs...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    As I said, it doesn't matter if this is true or not, the perception is there that it is true. But one of the reasons I don't think it's true is that if you remember during ST there were rumors that Dunn or Jr. would be traded. But the rumors also said that Kearns was untouchable. I really don't think that he's gone from untouchable to AAA lifer in 2 months in DanO's mind.
    Chip,

Do you honestly think that Dan O'Brien should address every rumor that these hack sportswriters start? I would hope he has better things to do. I find an opinion that "it doesn't matter if this is true or not" an interesting take for any walk of life. I guess that's why tabloids and professional wrestling thrive in this country. Pretty sad if you ask me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well since O'Brien came from the Rangers here's another Reds-Rangers comparison. 2 years ago Hank Blalock won the strting 3b job in spring tarining for the Rangers. He promptly played about a month or 2 and couldn't hit anything. They sent him to the minors for most of the summer if not all. I don't remember exactly how long he went back for. Anyhow he returned as the starter last year, has hit well since, and is one of the top 3b in the game now. So maybe an extended stint in the minors may not be such a bad thing. I guess the difference is Kearns has hit in the bigs before whereas Hank struggled in his first attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    if I'm another GM, I'm making some really solid offers for Austin Kearns right now...
    Yikes. You're absolutely right.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Cruisin' for trouble

Speaking of Blalock and pulling a bit from princeton's post...

Would you trade Kearns for Blalock right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    Really? I remember 2 years ago when Bartolo Colon was with the Indians Hal said he was available and the Reds were interested in him. The guy got TRASHED. A month later we found out that the Reds had been trying to get Colon for the past TWO months. Hal's info is strong. My god, people say that Hal isn't reputable, what on earth has O'Brien done to make HIM credible right now!? I like some of O'Brien's moves (getting Lidle and I think the Bong/Nelson trade will eventually pay off), but the guy drags his feet on so many things it has become frustrating. And when you completely dismiss getting a quality player like Boone instead of at least EXPLORING the opportunity you look bad. Nobody is saying sign Boone, but at least explore it. Don't blow it off and tell the guy not to wait by the phone. And don't talk about investing in young players when Boone is a mere 3 years older then Larson. Things like that just tick people off.
    You started at one point and then went three different directions which had nothing to do with my original point. I said I didn't think Hal was a good writer and you end up talking about O'Brien's credibility, the Bong trade, signing Boone, etc....

I don't know if his sources are good or not. I've read plenty of good baseball writers and I just don't think Hal is one of them.

Why is it whenever there's news we don't like, folks on here tend to trash the messenger? Not just picking on you, MWM. It's a trend.
    It's not like that at all, TC. Frankly, I do't care all that much about this particular message because I don't believe it.

I've been pretty consistent in my opinion of Hal McCoy, regardless of his opinion on certain things. I would never trash the messenger when I don't like the message. Again, I have read lots of Hal's columns and I've not once found something insightful to come out of them. It's not personal, really. I don't dislike the guy. I just don't see what's so great about him other than he's been around a long time. He's not a great writer and he doesn't bring any new insights or ideas into the game of baseball. Maybe he gets a scopp from time to time, but I really don't care about that.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    Well Hal McCoy IS a Hall-of-Famer and very credible. I'd trust Hal over anything the Cincinnati Reds say or do.
    Maybe sniffing a bit of that rocket fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    Like DanO can judge talent. He thinks Kearns isn't major league Ready but Romano is. Just who I want running the team.
    Yes DanO can judge talent. Look at his resume. Quite impressive.

Don't judge the guy OVERALL by the Romano pickup. I'm sure that Romano will be gone when it is expediant to do so.

If we can show factual statements/positions made by O'Brien, then more power to you. But this "he said, she said" stuff concerning O'Brien and Kearns is ridiculous IMO. There is way too much speculation and assumption going on, IMO, for some to be leveling the accusations at O'Brien like they are.

O'Brien stated last week that their position on Kearns was to allow him the time, and A/B's, in the minors to get his confidence and swing back, and that he again feels comfortable. And a couple weeks in the minors may just be what Austin needs.

Is Austin complaining about it? Then why are some of us?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Chip,

Do you honestly think that Dan O'Brien should address every rumor that these hack sportswriters start? I would hope he has better things to do. I find an opinion that "it doesn't matter if this is true or not" an interesting take for any walk of life. I guess that's why tabloids and professional wrestling thrive in this country. Pretty sad if you ask me.
    Of course he shouldn't. But the Reds and DanO have not said a word about what Kearns needs to do before he is brought back up. If they had said that they would keep him down there a week and then make a decision, there wouldn't be any rumors floating around about how DanO doesn't think Kearns is big league material. But the silence just fosters rumors about these things. Because of that you could make up any rumor about why he hasn't been called up and some people might believe it. Now DanO has put himself in the position where he has to address these rumors. If he had said that they had a specific timetable for Austin's return there would be no story. Now DanO is screwed. If he denies the rumors people aren't going to believe him. If he doesn't comment it looks like he's giving credence to the rumors. Even if he calls Austin up today it looks like a kneejerk reaction to this story. This thread is a perfect example why it doesn't matter if Hal's story is true or not. Hal's full of it half the time. But there are people who believe everything that is written. If DanO wants to address the media about the status of Austin's rehab assignment I'm sure they would love to hear it. But the damage has already been done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds

You bet I would. We are definately short on infield talent coming up through the minors (not that our OF prospects are great), but I would do this deal. Sure it blocks probably our best position prospect in Edwin Encarnacion, but either he can move to the OF or we can trade him when he puts up serious numbers to acquire an OF to replace Kearns.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

As I said, it doesn't matter if this is true or not, the perception is there that it is true. But one of the reasons I don't think it's true is that if you remember during ST there were rumors that Dunn or Jr. would be traded. But the rumors also said that Kearns was untouchable. I really don't think that he's gone from untouchable to AAA lifer in 2 months in DanO's mind.
    EXACTLY Chip!

I can't believe some of the rash conclusions people are coming to over this when it hasn't even been confirmed (except that Hal says).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

All dyslexics must untie!

When reached for comment, DanO's reaction should be

"I won't dignify that story with a response"

As far as the unnamed player speculating that O'Brien doesn't know how good Kearns is because he's only seen Austin since March, he should've scheduled an appointment with his GM instead of popping off to the press (And during that hypothetical pow-wow, DanO should make it clear who's managing the roster and who should shut his piehole and play ball)

My best "McCoy-like guess" is that Austin is whining to his friends every night via cel phone. Maybe a few more days at AAA will teach Kearns and his buddies a maturity lesson.
    Never overlook the obvious

Of course he shouldn't. But the Reds and DanO have not said a word about what Kearns needs to do before he is brought back up. If they had said that they would keep him down there a week and then make a decision, there wouldn't be any rumors floating around about how DanO doesn't think Kearns is big league material. But the silence just fosters rumors about these things. Because of that you could make up any rumor about why he hasn't been called up and some people might believe it. Now DanO has put himself in the position where he has to address these rumors. If he had said that they had a specific timetable for Austin's return there would be no story. Now DanO is screwed. If he denies the rumors people aren't going to believe him. If he doesn't comment it looks like he's giving credence to the rumors. Even if he calls Austin up today it looks like a kneejerk reaction to this story. This thread is a perfect example why it doesn't matter if Hal's story is true or not. Hal's full of it half the time. But there are people who believe everything that is written. If DanO wants to address the media about the status of Austin's rehab assignment I'm sure they would love to hear it. But the damage has already been done.
    But O'Brien did Chip. O'Brien stated last Friday, when they activated LaRue, that they will not rush Kearns until they feel he is hitting consistently and is comfortable at the plate. Face it! Kearns was hitting .137 at the time of the injury. O'Brien stated last Friday... "We've told Austin that there is no timetable," O'Brien said. "We want to get him hitting like he's capable of hitting." ... http://reds.enquirer.com/2004/05/13...tes513.rtf.html

Personally, I think this FO wants Kearns back assoon as possible. But they also want him to ready, both emotionally and physically.

If they bring him back today, and he continues to struggle at the ML level, then what do we do? And what will everyone be saying?

Will we all find new ways to criticize this FO again? It seems any decision they make is criticized from every angle. And I don't mind people criticizing this FO because they deserve their share. But when we don't even have all the facts on this situation, then IMO, it's being unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds

sure, but I wasn't thinking that anyone's making quite so generous an offer.

the offers are probably more like Blalock's backup, plus some pitchers like RA Dickey who are lacking elbow ligaments

Wednesday, May 19, 2004
    Kearns still stuck with Triple-A Louisville

By John Fay
    The Cincinnati Enquirer

Maybe the Reds want to get Austin Kearns enough at-bats to qualify for the International League batting title. Kearns remained on his rehab assignment with Triple-A Louisville Tuesday when the Reds opened their three-game series against the Colorado Rockies.

So Kearns was in right field against Buffalo, and Wily Mo Pena was in right field against Colorado.

The Reds players were surprised that Kearns hasn't been recalled.

"Very surprised," Adam Dunn said. "He is, too. I talked to him. He's feeling great. We need him here. He's not helping us down there."

Kearns has been on the disabled list since April 28 after breaking his left forearm. Since Kearns was struggling at the time of the injury - he was hitting .137 - Reds general manager Dan O'Brien wanted him to find his hitting stroke before he returned to the big leagues.

The numbers say he has. After Louisville's game Tuesday, when he went 0-for-2 with three walks and three runs, Kearns is hitting .357 with two home runs, three doubles and eight RBI in eight games for the Bats. His slugging percentage was .808 and his on-base percentage was .448.

"Going on the DL might have been a blessing in disguise," Dunn said. "He had a lot more going on than people know."

In addition to coming off Aug. 14 shoulder surgery, he was dealing with a pulled oblique muscle.

"He's 100 percent healthy now," Sean Casey said.

Casey was as surprised as Dunn that Kearns wasn't called up.

"We're talking about Austin Kearns," Casey said. "He's one of the best hitters in baseball."

The Colorado series would have seemed like a perfect time to have Kearns, the club's best right-handed power bat, rejoin the club. The Rockies started left-hander Shawn Estes Tuesday night and they're starting Joe Kennedy, another lefty, Thursday.

http://reds.enquirer.com/2004/05/19/red1kearns.html
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    If they bring him back today, and he continues to struggle at the ML level, then what do we do? And what will everyone be saying?
    That was my question, as well. A month ago, the consensus was that Austin's shoulder needed more time to heal and he should be DL'ed, etc. Fans are fickle, and difficult to please even when the ballclub is exceeding their low expectations
    Never overlook the obvious

Turn Off Ads?